LegacyGT.com

Intake for 2.5i!!!

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Engine light problem????? No... thats the point of using the stock airbox. If you put the conical filter on, the engine will run lean... and you'll get a check engine light. If you use the tube with the stock airbox and a drop in filter if you choose its smooth sailing. :icon_mrgr

Engine light problem????? No... thats the point of using the stock airbox. If you put the conical filter on, the engine will run lean... and you'll get a check engine light. If you use the tube with the stock airbox and a drop in filter if you choose its smooth sailing. :icon_mrgr

really?!!? :icon_surp

I Bought One From Ebay For An Wrx And Cut To Fit, Used A K&n Panel Filter And Got Some Blue Rubber Hose Connectors From Autozone About 3 Months Ago. No Cel's Or Other Problems---just The Sweet Scream As She Revs Up. My Gas Mileage Did Go Down Slightly, But Only Because I Can't Control My Foot Any Longer...........

Here's the deal...

1)I have redone all my wire looms in red and my car has red accents to match the firefighter plates. I just bought a $15 unit on ebay but I think it will be all blue silicone and rubber with crome tube of coarse. Anyways where and approx how much will the red rubber cost me. I sell the APC silicone at my store for bought $30 my cost. but not the rubber connections.

2) My vehicle being an i It didn't come w/ fogs so I am currently getting air from the fog light hole through mesh screen and a 3" pvc elbow to the bottom of the cleaner box... Question is will this be too much for the MAF and through a code and cause a limp mode driving experience.

For all the pipes that works, they have the common problem:

1. They all need to be cut about 1" to 1 1/2"s to fit with the stock airboxes.

2. They all have engine light problem.

Anyone can continue to add on or correct me if i am wrong?

(Thx Digitaldebris)

I have the intake pipe and K&N filter and I have been running it for about a month and a half. I have had no problems with the check engine light.

One Thing That I Did Was To Use The Systems Included Silicone Hose For The Engine Vents; And On My '06, There Is Another Vent That Fits Into The Front Of The Stock Air Box. I Disassembled The Plastic Vent And Routed It To The Rear Of The Inlet Pipe. As I Said, It Resulted In No Cels; But If You Don't Hook Those Vent Tubes Up, It Will Prob Set A Code. The Other Question Is About The Maf Sensor; I Used A K&n And The Original Box So No Probs There. But If You Do Away With The Stock Sensor, I Do Think It Would Result In An Errant Emissions Value And Then A Code Will Be Set. It Is Important To Remember That The Only Reason For A Cel System Is For The Ecm To Mointor And Try To Maintain Optimal Emissions Values. And Yeah I Did Cut My Inlet Pipes Which Were A Little Bigger Than 2 1/2" I.d., But I Found Plenty Of Pipe Connectors On Ebay With That Diameter. I Bought A Set Of 3 For $6.99 And Got 'em Superfast. And One Last Thought On All Of This: Your Ecm Doesn't Know What Kind Of Inlet Pipe You Have, Plastic, Rubber, Metal Or Whatever; But If There Is A Significant Deviation From Stock Emissions Values Because A Vacuum Vent Is Not Connected---bang You Get A Light Lit------

One Thing That I Did Was To Use The Systems Included Silicone Hose For The Engine Vents; And On My '06, There Is Another Vent That Fits Into The Front Of The Stock Air Box. I Disassembled The Plastic Vent And Routed It To The Rear Of The Inlet Pipe. As I Said, It Resulted In No Cels; But If You Don't Hook Those Vent Tubes Up, It Will Prob Set A Code. The Other Question Is About The Maf Sensor; I Used A K&n And The Original Box So No Probs There. But If You Do Away With The Stock Sensor, I Do Think It Would Result In An Errant Emissions Value And Then A Code Will Be Set. It Is Important To Remember That The Only Reason For A Cel System Is For The Ecm To Mointor And Try To Maintain Optimal Emissions Values. And Yeah I Did Cut My Inlet Pipes Which Were A Little Bigger Than 2 1/2" I.d., But I Found Plenty Of Pipe Connectors On Ebay With That Diameter. I Bought A Set Of 3 For $6.99 And Got 'em Superfast. And One Last Thought On All Of This: Your Ecm Doesn't Know What Kind Of Inlet Pipe You Have, Plastic, Rubber, Metal Or Whatever; But If There Is A Significant Deviation From Stock Emissions Values Because A Vacuum Vent Is Not Connected---bang You Get A Light Lit------

Got any pic's of the vent and how you mod'd it, I have an 06 also and just orderd the same style one that Digital has. What style do you have?

Thanks

Tolly

07 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I was talking with some of my friends about why when people use the conical filters... even with a MAF adapter they get a CEL. We concluded that perhaps its the distance of the MAF is to where the air comes in through filter. When using the stock airbox there's about 6" between the MAF and the filter. If you used a conical filter with the MAF in the same place this distance is reduced to an inch or two. So what would happen is the MAF were positioned further back on the intake, about 6" from air would be coming in from the conical filter??? Maybe there wouldn't be any CEL's. I think that would be interesting.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7302/relocatekh5.jpg

Best advise would be to leave the stock air box in the car until an engine management could be used. The MAF is very sensitive. If there is any turbulence or slight change in diameter the A/F ratios will get messed up and can cause drivability issues with the car. Most of us WRX guys have gone through at least two types of intakes and tuning to find one that we can deal with. Plus, with the stock box sucking in "cold" is a benefit for the N/A's. The turbo cars have an intercooler to chill the air, but for an N/A, there is no way to cool down hot air injested (except for water injection and nitrous). Just my $.02.

just recieved mine in the mail today. will most likely put it on this thursday. before i get started on this i need a few questions answered. on the autobacs what are you using to plug the hole on the intake side? also how hard is that black thing on the intake going to be to take off. is the vacume lines pretty easy to locate to hook up as well? i know its alot of questions but the more i know the easier its going to be. thanks

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Mine came with a black grommet with a hole in it. I just stuck a rubber piece in it to plug it up. The vacuum lines are very easy to locate as you'll see them when you take off the stock intake. Problably the most difficult thing you'll go through is cutting the intake tube down so it meets the stock airbox... all in all it's not too hard though.

Here are some pics of my set-up. I used a set from a 2000-01 wrx i found on ebay. The original link to the forum does not come up, but you could try a search on ebay. i also used 3 2.5" blue hose couplers and 1 3" to 2.5" reducer on the set up.

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/443/dsc012030hs.jpg

this is my car,,,,are you stealing my picture?????

finished mine up the other day. over all i would say i giave it a little more ass in the throttle. seems to be a little bit easier on gas when you keep your foot off of the petal. def a nice upgrade.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Archived