LegacyGT.com

Intake for 2.5i!!!

I just added the AVO panel filter. Not sure the intake mod is such a good idea since I have the extended SOA warranty which takes my coverage all the way to 5 years. I might just wait until my warranty expires until I remove the silencer or do any other mods.

Although even just the panel filter made a noticeable improvement. Other other suggestions that won't impact the warranty?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well guys I finally did it. I ordered an intake for an 01 Impreza from Auto Warehouse. I put it all together and I had to make some cuts in the pipe to make it fit perfect. But all in all I think it turned out well, and for $58.00 shipped to my door, it made it even better!! Good budget mod!! BTW, I have removed the airbox silencer and am using an AVO filter. I must admit this helps give the car a little more umph on the highway.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/Santange/Intake.jpg

BlackBird97, I have a question with your setup. Is that a little breather filter on the 180 degree section of tubing??

If so, this could cause some issues with fuel ratios (i.e.- really lean). If it is a breather, that is like having a major air intake leak, since it is between the engine and the MAF.

BlackBird97, I have a question with your setup. Is that a little breather filter on the 180 degree section of tubing??

If so, this could cause some issues with fuel ratios (i.e.- really lean). If it is a breather, that is like having a major air intake leak, since it is between the engine and the MAF.

Yeah thats a small breather. it's just a port where a vacuum line used to go. I had one of those in my tool box figured it'd be a way to kinda block it off. If you look at the bottom of page 1 of this post another user *marsho* had done the same thing. Also if you look at *digitaldebris* setup, he does have a vacume tube hooked up to the area where me and marsho have the breather. BUT if you look twords the part of the intake that is closest to the TB you'll notice a black grommit, it appears there is nothing blocking that. Also if you look at JACKACC setup he seems to have the same oppenings *Page15*. You may very well be correct though. Now you've got me thinking if I should just block it off. Any pro's please feel free to chime in.WhatV8 brought up a good point, and I'd be curiouse what the correct answer would be.

Yeah thats a small breather. it's just a port where a vacuum line used to go. I had one of those in my tool box figured it'd be a way to kinda block it off. If you look at the bottom of page 1 of this post another user *marsho* had done the same thing. Also if you look at *digitaldebris* setup, he does have a vacume tube hooked up to the area where me and marsho have the breather. BUT if you look twords the part of the intake that is closest to the TB you'll notice a black grommit, it appears there is nothing blocking that. Also if you look at JACKACC setup he seems to have the same oppenings *Page15*. You may very well be correct though. Now you've got me thinking if I should just block it off. Any pro's please feel free to chime in.WhatV8 brought up a good point, and I'd be curiouse what the correct answer would be.

Listen to WhatV8's advice. Having ANY air WHATSOEVER enter the intake system post MAF is a fundamental no-no.

Coming into this NA section of the forum is kind of eye opening. My experience building my 05 LGT kept me tightly bound to the turbo forums, of course. It will benefit eveyone who has a NA car, however, to become familiar with at least the Tuning Forum. The principles may mean more to those modifying turbocharged engines, but are still in most ways applicable to everyone who has an engine. And one of the more problematic issues, both from a tuning/engine performing standpoint, as well as conceptually as a basic tenet of fuel injected engines in general, is the Intake System.

Another area those installing, or contemplating the installation of an aftermarket intake should read is the Intake and Exhaust forum, which I note some already do. Don't just look for information specific to your non-turbo car, however, or you will miss some important concepts..... concepts that will make putting breathers on intakes post MAF not happen. ;)

Well guys I finally did it. I ordered an intake for an 01 Impreza from Auto Warehouse. I put it all together and I had to make some cuts in the pipe to make it fit perfect. But all in all I think it turned out well, and for $58.00 shipped to my door, it made it even better!! Good budget mod!! BTW, I have removed the airbox silencer and am using an AVO filter. I must admit this helps give the car a little more umph on the highway.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/Santange/Intake.jpg

Where did you find it best to cut?

Listen to WhatV8's advice. Having ANY air WHATSOEVER enter the intake system post MAF is a fundamental no-no.

Coming into this NA section of the forum is kind of eye opening. My experience building my 05 LGT kept me tightly bound to the turbo forums, of course. It will benefit eveyone who has a NA car, however, to become familiar with at least the Tuning Forum. The principles may mean more to those modifying turbocharged engines, but are still in most ways applicable to everyone who has an engine. And one of the more problematic issues, both from a tuning/engine performing standpoint, as well as conceptually as a basic tenet of fuel injected engines in general, is the Intake System.

Another area those installing, or contemplating the installation of an aftermarket intake should read is the Intake and Exhaust forum, which I note some already do. Don't just look for information specific to your non-turbo car, however, or you will miss some important concepts..... concepts that will make putting breathers on intakes post MAF not happen. ;)

Thanks so much for the quick input guys! Today before work I stopped by my local hardware store and got myself T-Fitting and eliminated the breather. So hopefully now it will be a safe bet!! Thanks again for saving my arse from a potential bad time!!! Here's a pic of the new setup! Thanks again!!!

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/Santange/Intakeupdate.jpg

Where did you find it best to cut?

I took a look at some of the other members intake setups and took a ruff guesstimate of where I should make it. About where I have it works very well.

Blackbird97-----I just bought the same intake. What size couplers did you purchase? As for the black grommet near the TB. How did you go about blocking that off?

I had bought 3in couplers. And as for the black grommet and I had just put the sensor in it. It fits perfectly. Check out the picture I have in my previous reply.

I should of been more clear. Do the breather hoses need a Fitting also?

No they do not. The breather hoses come out from either side of the engine and one comes out from the center. There are "nipples" coming off the engine and "nipples" on the aftermarket intake that allow you to slip the hoses on to. As previously suggested, you should use hose clamps so they don't vibrate off, or at the bare minimum re-use the factory pinch clamps. Hope this helps.

<snip>

SeeeeeYa, thanx for backing me up!

I may be fairly new to the Subaru world, but I have been farting around with NA 4-cylinders for the past 24 years and turbo 4's for 18 years. I was able to push my '80 4-cyl Mustang from 18.5's to 15.9's on a high school budget, so basic fundamentals were all I had at the time.

The air entering the intake via the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system is all post-MAF air, so no issues there. The PCV system is actually a closed loop system. Air coming into the crankcase comes from piston blow by, small as it may be, which originally came from the intake via through the MAF. Having a slight negative air pressure in the crankcase is a good thing. Ever wonder why most dedicated drag racing cars have a vacuum pump setup for their crankcase...because it actually increases HP.

BTW, a breather to the atmosphere is the exact opposite in principal to a resistor being added to your air intake temp sensor, where the breather = leaner fuel condition and resistor = richer fuel condition.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's the intake I purchased the other day, its not the exact same style as the original OPs intake, looks like the breather tubes are in a different location, but I can work with it. Hey for $38, its worth a shot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98-99-00-01-SUBARU-IMPREZA-AIR-INTAKE-FILTER-2-5RS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem350159087488QQitemZ350159087488QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

well there is no way im going to be able to fit the option racing intake directly on, its not long enough. Guess Ill have to find some more piping.

Im guessing the intake posted by the original poster is no longer made? I can't find it anywhere, i thought this one would be similar, but once i pulled it out of the box, i knew it wasn't even close.

just to keep thou informed. i have removed my problematic CAI due to the constant CEL and the engine actually started pinging under slight stress. such as low gear, low end throttle going up hill. you can hear the almost loose rattle sounds of clackety clackety. DID NOT like that at all, jerked it ofrf the very next day and 134 miles later, no more pinging. oh well, another one bites the dust.

Archived