LegacyGT.com

iPod Direct-connection successful! (but VERY difficult)

centerpunch

I received it and am going to try and test it tonight after I get out of class...Hopefully it works. We did notice that we are switching pin 1 and pin 3 at the same time so it is backward which we will fix in the next/final revision...Other than that, it seems to be ok...Only hooking it up will actually be the final test...but the board works as expected..now I will test with a regular cd and try to make it skip and see if it mutes (which I think it will but we will see). Anyways, just thought I would update. One change will to make the relay more easily changeable since it will last for like 1000 switches. A lot, but trying to make it easier. I will probably start a new thread when I am finished with installation instructions. I am going to test with a standard momentary switch before I cut traces on the board from the satellite momentary switch.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the update, I'll be interested to see the result. What relay are you using, I've never heard of a relay that's only good for 1000 cycles? I tried to look at your circuit diagram but it's too low resolution so I can't read any of the component names. Do you have a way to post a higher res version? I'm hoping to do somthing similar to this, but I plan to wire it up to the tuner output so I don't have to deal with blank CDs. Of course this requires hacking the circuit board inside which may void my warranty... Thanks, Tim.

[quote name='mvigneau']One change will to make the relay more easily changeable since it will last for like 1000 switches. A lot, but trying to make it easier. [/QUOTE]Whoa, what a crappy relay. Are you sure that isn't like x1000 or something?

Alright...the relay is 107-2-c-12/3d which is a pickering dry relay...I don't remember the exact number of cycles so you may be right... As to using the tuner, this board would not work since it has inputs for the CD Changer cable. When this is finished, it won't need a blank CD, just any CD...right now you hear a faint amount of noise from the CD playing since the signals are not matched correctly...Will look at more tomorrow. I don't have a way to post a higher res one, but if you e-mail me at mvigneau (at) comcast (dot) net, I can send you a higher res one.

Ok...latest woes of iPod integration. It seems to be working but we are trying to hook up the SAT button as my momentary switch so that I don't have to add a switch to my car and it will be stealth. The problem is the mute circuit. While you are listening to the iPod, the CD changer is playing a CD (no easy way around this without surface mount soldering). Anyways, when the CD player changes tracks or something, then the iPod's audio mutes so the mute signal mutes the entire radio. This is the only problem, other than that, the audio works and sounds GOOD!!! People are probably not going to want it because of this, but that is the only suggestion that I can offer. I guess I could go back to the drawing board and look at using the FM output to switch, but that requires desoldering and all that, which I am sure people would not be comfortable with...This way, people only have to disconnect the CD Changer's ribbon cable and plug it in to the new board and a ribbon cable from the new board to the original radio. Hook up 12V+ and Gnd and your switch and you are good to go. I am using the Radio's 12V+ and Ground by soldering to the pins themselves on the back of the connector, that way I only have RCA Cables coming out. I will hook it up after we order the next set of boards with the changes made and test it for 2 weeks to see how annoying the mute signal really is.

I think the advantages of sound quality make the disadvantage of having a skip every hour (if you use a blank/quiet cd ) pretty un important. As long as I can just plug it into the ribbon cables, I'll be the first on the list to get one (if there isn't alist already). Any idea when I can get my hands on one?

Yeah...I definitely agree! Well...we might have a solution for the muting problem. One of the pins on the ribbon cable is the mute signal and when you change tracks and whatnot, it goes high so we will send a signal to this pin when the iPod is playing that will not mute it when it changes tracks and whatnot. At least that is the intent, who knows if it will actually work. But yes, the solution I have is to just plug in the ribbon cables and hook up power and a momentary switch and it will allow you to have an iPod integration. Hopefully will be done in a couple of weeks after testing and such.

[quote name='mvigneau']Yeah...I definitely agree! Well...we might have a solution for the muting problem. One of the pins on the ribbon cable is the mute signal and when you change tracks and whatnot, it goes high so we will send a signal to this pin when the iPod is playing that will not mute it when it changes tracks and whatnot. At least that is the intent, who knows if it will actually work. But yes, the solution I have is to just plug in the ribbon cables and hook up power and a momentary switch and it will allow you to have an iPod integration. Hopefully will be done in a couple of weeks after testing and such.[/QUOTE] Mike, sounds awesome!! Congratulations for making this happen. When you get this worked out and are ready to sell boards, I hope I can be one of the first on your list! If you could burn a single track full length CD (80 min I think) that might be one way to minimize the track change events. But if you do know which pin carries the mute signal, then it makes sense to just disable it when the aux-in is enabled. Once again, nice job! Craig

[quote name='mvigneau']Well...we might have a solution for the muting problem. One of the pins on the ribbon cable is the mute signal and when you change tracks and whatnot, it goes high so we will send a signal to this pin when the iPod is playing that will not mute it when it changes tracks and whatnot. At least that is the intent, who knows if it will actually work. [/QUOTE] If you can find the solution to the mute problem... well that would be just super-ultra-peachy-keen. Even if you can't, I'm all over this as soon as it's done. :cool: :D :) Now I've just got to figure out how to re-enable e-mails on forum updates so I can keep up to date on this discussion...

Under thread tools...click subscribe to get e-mails...not that it is updated that often. But yeah...I think the mute problem will be all set but I won't know until I have the 2nd prototype boards in. I am a couple of hundred dollars invested in this project and hopefully if I get it working, I will be selling completed boards as well as boards where you solder on your own parts (thru-hole soldering). The price will be higher (More than $75) because the mere cost for just the board is close to $50 with the printing and all that... It all depends on how many people actually want a board. I would also be willing to install it with a wire coming out for a momentary switch but that would rather expensive because of the liabilities involved...ANyways, just giving a heads-up. And of course you guys get first dibs because of some of the help insight on this project and others that you have provided.

Mvigneau, Just a thought, why don't you just cut the trace for the mute wire on your existing board and see if the mute problem goes away? That's a quick way to see if that really is the mute signal. If you don't want the signal floating, pull the signal to ground using a small resistor. -Bryan

[quote name='aussiebrydon']Kevin at pie.net says if enough people email Eddy Lucero in R&D, they'll look into making an adapter for us. So here's what you do Email: [email]questions@pie.net[/email] Subject: Need aux input adapter for my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Attn: Eddy Lucero Body: Mr Lucero, I am very interested in getting a high-quality external audio signal into my Legacy. Currently there is nothing on the market better for this application than an FM Modulator, and I am loath to lose the sound quality by using that solution. If Pie could come up with a reasonably priced input solution for my stock 2005 Legacy head unit, I would definitely purchase it and recommend it to my friends Feel free and put your own message in there, that's the lame little blurb I came up with off the top of my head[/QUOTE] I've also started a thread over on PIE's forum [url]http://pie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=163[/url]. If you don't want to email, simply post a request over there. No registration is necessary. ponch

[quote name='centerpunch']OK, it's 11 months after I started this thread, and I don't even have a Subaru anymore, but I think it's great that you have continued development of this idea, and your more refined solution should be very cool, congrats![/QUOTE] What did you do with your Subie dude? And what on earth did you replace it with? S4?

[quote name='aussiebrydon']What did you do with your Subie dude? And what on earth did you replace it with? S4?[/QUOTE] Here's a very-long answer to your short question. I had a 2000 S4 (V6 biturbo), and LOVED that car. Fast enough, economical (24mpg, and 29 on trips), invisible to cops (silver), big enough but not too big, and the almost perfect blend of performance and luxury. But, the water pump seized just after the warranty ended, and the car needed an $18000 repair, including new block and one head. (Shoulda bought that extended warranty.) Audi finally agreed to pay all but $4000, but that's still a lot for a new water pump. And amazingly, they didn't use a short block, they sent a bare block, so some 19 year old at the dealership built my "new" motor. I quickly sold the S4, and bought one of the first STi's (silver, no wing, dealer swapped trunks with spoilerless-Imprezza). STi motor was way cool, but car was too bumpy for a daily driver for this 49-year-old fart. (And I hated those blue seats). The I bought a LGT, and loved it 90% as much as the S4. I put STi BBS wheels on it with PS2's- great tires. But I never got used to the weird clutch, and was constantly cursing at the apparently-unsolvable engine surging under load (the dealer said "could not reproduce problem," which the car did constantly.) But then one day a couple months ago, I was driving by the Audi dealer, and there was a used 2004 S4 in white with 13K miles. I wasn't looking for a car, but I couldn't help myself. And yes, I got the extended Audi warranty with this one! Sold the Legacy on ebay: [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4553464651[/url] P.S. The Audi gets embarrassingly lousy mileage, but I knew it would.... .

I just bought a new 2005 Outback XT a few days ago. I held off buying for a few months to see if they fixed the AUX issue in the 2006 (they didn't), then I got one of the remaining 2005s. I've been following this thread and it gave me hope I could hook up my iPod. Its great how you guys have collborated on getting a solution for this. Count me in for a board as soon as they are ready for me to order!!!

Hey, I've been cringing with a hardwire FM modulator for awhile now and finally managed to read all 23 pages of this thread because I just couldn't take it anymore. Mvigneau looks like he has a fairly nice/elaborate setup going with the relays and such, but I'm planning on making a cheap board + ribbon alternative (for those of us with willing to take shortcuts) based on centerpunch's original design. If anyone's interested, I'm planning on selling off the "extras" cheap (since I bought minimum bulk quantities), probably around $20 ea. My "version" will require the silent cd, and on the board, there will be a stereo headphone jack...the elusive "aux in". It will be cheap, simple and according to centerpunch, should work great. I have most of the parts, the board solid model is almost done. Once I get a friend to CAM it for me, I can CNC them at work and I'll solder them up myself. I'll probably hack up a prototype in the next week and I should have the final products ready in another week if anyone's interested.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Archived