LegacyGT.com

iPod Direct-connection successful! (but VERY difficult)

centerpunch

This is good stuff. Let me know when you have something you need tested. Craig - I'd be up for trying out one of these boards you're talking about. I don't know if I have the experience necessary to install it though. As I mentioned over at Edmunds. I'd really like to see the functionality of the Dension iceLink product, but I also realize that would take a lot of time and money to develop. Keep us all posted! -Ian

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok guys, I am in NO WAY an electronic wizard. In fact, I know close to nothing about it. But... I was wondering if it may be possible (by a way that you wizards could possibly find) to use the "am" selector to select an iPod input. I know this would make the am band no more accessible, but I NEVER use it (who does???). Possible solution? ... or am I dreaming of something impossible?

[quote name='centerpunch']My guess is that both the AM and FM receivers are built into one module with a single audio output inside the radio, but I could be wrong.....[/quote] I agree. When I was poking around inside the radio, there seemed to be a single shielded tuner module which the antenna connects to. I am sure this handles both FM and AM, so it probably has only one set of outputs. That said, there still may be a way to hijack the radio's "tuner" inputs when the AM button is pushed. So it's probably worth exploring the next time someone has their radio open. Tell you what, if we had a schematic we could answer a whole bunch of questions. I bet there is even an unused input somwehere on the main board, given that they probably use a common base design for all radios. Some of the JDM units have MD in addition to CD and FM/AM. Craig

[quote name='c_hunter'] Some of the JDM units have MD in addition to CD and FM/AM. Craig[/quote] Are you sure? they also have a cassette deck.. I was trying to figure out how MD=Cassette... If we only had a japanese site where they were also taking apart their cars.. I'm still looking for such a forum....

Hmm, I didn't think they played cassettes over there anymore, whereas MD has been a huge hit (opposite of the US experience). Whatever picture I saw recently had a slot that looked MD to me, but in reality I just assumed it was MD. Bottom line, it's another input! Craig

• 2 weeks later...
Do those ribbon cables have different dimensions? If so, what's the dimension that I need to buy for to cut out a 11-pin and 2 3-pin cables? I think I see how this is all connected (kind of hard to visualize without taking out the radio before)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='bisk']So, has anyone figured out how to get an iPod integrated into the stock stereo? I'm sick and tired of burning CDs! ;)[/QUOTE] Bisk - go to the first post on this thread and read on...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='emlevins']Bisk - go to the first post on this thread and read on...[/QUOTE] I read the first page, but I'd much rather use an FM Modulator rather than hack up the stock deck, as the car's a lease.

• 3 weeks later...
We really need someone with solid electrical engineering experience to work out a few final details. I have all the parts and connectors spec'd out and we can get some boards made when everything is ready. My thinking is that we should perfect the design before producing the boards. Craig

I just had the stereo place install a iPod setup in my 05 LGT. Dension sells a cradle, mount, and adapter that gets HARD-WIRED into the FM radio. I provided the materials and they put it in for $75. [url]http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=375&Itemid=79[/url] This was made for BMW, but it's NOT supposed to be FM hard-wired, it should plug directly into a aux-in or cd-changer input. But, my LGT has a in-dash 6 cd-changer. So, the stereo guy was able to FM-hard wire it. Which is a lot better than just a FM modulator. I need to hit a a/b switch and tune to 89.1, but there is no interference or static...ever. Sound quality is not as good as being direct in a aux, but it is much better than a FM modulator. Oh, and it charges in the cradle and mounts nicely over the vent. -KevinH
KevinH

Great work to centerpunch and everybody else who's made this happen! :D I'm really looking forward to progress on this mod. I have a suggestion for improvement on the original, though. Instead of tapping into the CD player's channel without a switch why not use a switch and tap into the tuner channel? That way there's no need for a blank CD, eliminating wear on the CD player and dropouts during the repeats. Cheers, -n8

[quote name='n8gray']Great work to centerpunch and everybody else who's made this happen! :D I'm really looking forward to progress on this mod. I have a suggestion for improvement on the original, though. Instead of tapping into the CD player's channel without a switch why not use a switch and tap into the tuner channel? That way there's no need for a blank CD, eliminating wear on the CD player and dropouts during the repeats. Cheers, -n8[/QUOTE] The CD inputs were somewhat easy to decipher because the CD changer is a seperate component and there is a flex cable that runs from the changer to the radio. The FM/AM tuner, on the other hand, is integrated into the main circuit board, so it will be tougher to fish out the "pins". Craig

Archived