LegacyGT.com

iPod Direct-connection successful! (but VERY difficult)

centerpunch

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
first Iadmit to not reading all 23 pages here heh, I've read a good bit of them though as I have been looking at the forum for a while, long before I even registered. So if I say something stupid.. just slap me upside the head with something.. jazzy, is yours going to be one that I'll have to solder/cut ribbon cables etc. like the original design? or will it be an idiot proof? cos although I have a friend that works with circuits on this level all the time, I am for the most part an idiot when it comes to this. if its idiot proof or even near it, I'd take you up on your offer. I'm currently working on a carputer, and need an audio input probablly this year heh
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I've been follwing this thread for a long time. It just makes me sad that it is so difficult to connect an iPod up to the factory stereo. I like the factory head unit as is, why should this be so hard? :( Sorry, just venting...
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

[quote name='darkfox1']jazzy, is yours going to be one that I'll have to solder/cut ribbon cables etc. like the original design? or will it be an idiot proof? cos although I have a friend that works with circuits on this level all the time, I am for the most part an idiot when it comes to this. [/QUOTE]Yea, it will be idiot proof, at least, that's the goal. You'll still have to take your dash completely apart, and partially disassemble your radio to get access to the ribbon cable, but then you just unplug, plug it into the board, plug the board's ribbon back into where the original ribbon was going, then plug your 1/8" Stereo patch cord into the board's "Aux" port and run your "silent cd". I just got the last of my parts yesterday in the mail, so I should have a prototype put together in a week. I will post info/photos as soon as I get it done. I think I'll probably have to use a laser print & echant to get the circuit's layed out for the final product, and I still have to get a buddy to CAM my solid model so I can CNC all the holes to make my first batch of boards. Anyway, I'll keep y'all updated.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

wow, sounds like you have a lot of work to do, $20 for that is a deal, definatley put me down for one, the only reason I couldn't use that is if my car were stolen or totaled or something, aux input is ALWAYS a good idea! no matter what, ipod, carputer, xm, you plug into it. you have paypal?
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Im about to buy a 2005 outback and am pissed that they dont have a kit to change the head... Anyway, Tweeter said they could connect the fm transmitter directly (hard-wired) to the antenna.... Do you think this is a feasible option? i must knwo soon or else Im going to buy a used 2004.

[quote name='m11ke21']Im about to buy a 2005 outback and am pissed that they dont have a kit to change the head... Anyway, Tweeter said they could connect the fm transmitter directly (hard-wired) to the antenna.... Do you think this is a feasible option? i must knwo soon or else Im going to buy a used 2004.[/QUOTE] Whoa - an iPod is important, but not enough to go back a generation. The '05 is a quantam leap forward and I would steer you towards an '05, especially if you want an H-6 or turbo version.

Is there a good reason why people are worried about IPOD input instead of just regular headphone jack input? I can't understand how car makers are jumping from not supporting any input to a proprietary interface that limits options for the customer... I imagine there has to be big money being thrown at car makers (and like bose) from apple. I know that it can't just be a respond to the consumer market - that would be too damned... well, responsive. I'm down for throwing money at any solution that allows for audio in without having to solder any pins myself, in case any one is worrying about prospective buyers.

Well...I think you would be a good candidate for my solution...I say "iPod" but I am using RCAs with my iPod...so not to worry, it is really a Line-In solution. My board will have 4 connections that you will have to hook up: 1.) RCA-in from your iPod, XM, MP3, DVD, etc... 2.) 12V+ for Relays and other parts on the board (removes noise by not using the same 12V+ source) 3.) Ground 4.) Momentary Switch to switch from CD to iPod while in "CD Mode".

agreed wholeheartedly, when I say ipod in what I really want is aux in, ipod control can be done with an IR remote (airclick, already have one works great, put the ipod on the glovebox and forget its there, just queue up your master playlist and hit next till you hear what you wanna hear) the work you all are doing on the plug n play boards is most appreciated by the circuit board challenged like myself.

[quote name='mvigneau']Well...I think you would be a good candidate for my solution...I say "iPod" but I am using RCAs with my iPod...so not to worry, it is really a Line-In solution. My board will have 4 connections that you will have to hook up: 1.) RCA-in from your iPod, XM, MP3, DVD, etc... 2.) 12V+ for Relays and other parts on the board (removes noise by not using the same 12V+ source) 3.) Ground 4.) Momentary Switch to switch from CD to iPod while in "CD Mode".[/QUOTE] I haven't posted to this thread in a while, but I just wanted to pop in and let you know that you're doing some awesome work. I'm eagerly awaiting the completion of your board! How does your board get the AUX-in signals to the headunit again? Do you crimp/solder onto the ribbon cable inside the HU or was there going to be a plug-in connector? Any idea how much you plan on charging for your board? Ken Ken

Ok...here is the breakdown. There are 2 ribbon cable connectors on my board (in and out). In from the CD Changer...out to the radio. All of that electronics are on the board from there. Board Breakdown is as follows - all come with detailed instructions: 1.) Only the board (no components) - $100 2.) Board with components - $150 3.) Assembled board - $200 4.) Installed board (because I don't feel like installing them) - $400 after shipping it to me...I will pay for shipping back in the box that it comes in. This is assuming I can get the thing to work.

Solid model assembly is complete. Depending on when my last etching supplies arrive I'm hoping to have a prototype tested in the next couple days. The 0.005" traces have me worried though...that may cause problems because of the 2mm spacing on the ribbon cable plug. [img]http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=29222[/img][url="http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=29222"][/url]
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

[quote name='mvigneau'] There are 2 ribbon cable connectors on my board (in and out). In from the CD Changer...out to the radio. All of that electronics are on the board from there. [/QUOTE] Aside from being the elusive AUX in, what are the features/specs? I guess what I am asking is why is it worth $200 fully assembled? I don't have a problem spending the money... I just want to be "sold." :)

wait wait.. both of you are doing your own? or is it the same project? perhaps once these things are all finalized they should be added to the audio faq sticky (they may have already been? I haven't read it today)

Sorry for the confusion. My attempt and mvigneau's are completely separate endeavors. As I understand it, mvigneau's has relays that allow you to switch on/off the CD audio and auto-mute so that you get an aux in with less signal loss & it only requires a CD, any CD to be playing...I think his switch was also intended to utilize the fourth position CD/FM/AM dial on the face, but I'm not sure how that's going. My circuit board is more or less a straight reproduction of centerpunch's design, although I am changing the resistor setup a little to reduce the signal loss to about half of his, it should be around 3db according to other tests...I may be able to go with even less...but if it works, I'm not going to mess with it. Anyway, mine is very simple, it requires the silent CD (which I'll include, since it's no biggie) and will "skip" on your audio every 80 min when it repeats for a second or two. It has less things to hook up though, no power or ground & no switch...just unplug the ribbon cable, plug into board and plug the boards ribbon back into the stereo...that part is exactly the same on both designs...no soldering. Then there's an 1/8" stereo jack (headphones) on the board, the elusive "aux-in". Anyway, total cost for my board will be $25 to start with...I'm not trying to make any money on this, I just want an aux in for my car and if this design works, I'm willing to pitch in a little effort to help other people utilize centerpunch's design too. The startup for some of the fab'ing supplies I bought added up to a decent amount, but if I sell enough of them, I'll probably break even...like I said though, I don't really care. Glad to help if I can make something that works. BTW, I have the prototype silkscreened, and I'm going to etch it today...probably drill it too. I doubt I'll get to solder & testing, but I might not be able to stop :) Oh yea, and yes, I have paypal...although I honestly don't know the best way to set up these transactions. It will all be moot unless I can get a good etch though, so hold your breath.

[quote name='jazzymt']Sorry for the confusion. My attempt and mvigneau's are completely separate endeavors. As I understand it, mvigneau's has relays that allow you to switch on/off the CD audio and auto-mute so that you get an aux in with less signal loss & it only requires a CD, any CD to be playing...I think his switch was also intended to utilize the fourth position CD/FM/AM dial on the face, but I'm not sure how that's going. [/QUOTE] Exactly...that's what mine does...Right now, I quoted that high because I don't know what the actual cost will be...I assume it should be less than that but more expensive than jazzymt's. It is more complicated and requires more parts than his and hopefully will negate the mute circuit so that it will never mute unless you change it. I am going to use the forth position on the CD/AM/FM switch to switch mine, but you can use any momentary switch that you want if you are uncomfortable with soldering/etc... As to the other question...This is just a line-in solution that allows you to play your iPod with any CD playing but takes care of the mute sense line also...No surface mount soldering required, but it does require ground, 12V+ and momentary switch.

jazzymt, I like your concept of KISS. While I would certainly love to have the convenience of no slient CD, I like the plug-and-play with no power, ground and switch even better. For $25, I'll happily take a chance to get better audio fidelity than my current FM modulator. Let us know when you're ready to take orders! BTW, are you a EE? Ken

[quote name='Ken S']BTW, are you a EE?[/QUOTE]ME :) Although I aspire to be an EE someday too. I've been slowly teaching myself digital circuits & PLC's via some books & kits. Lately I've actually been considering going back to school to get a real degree (another one)...and it would be a good excuse to leave my current job (not bad, just no room for advancement & pay sucks). It's annoying to have all the skills to design a machine, but then have no skills to design the controls/power system for it besides basic analog circuits & relays...which, can get you pretty far actually, but I'd like to have the total package some day...some day. BTW I'll be ready to take orders when: 1) Prototype is finished & works, then 2) Successful CNC drill/cut multiple boards, then 3) Suscessful etch, solder & test of produciton board I will very likely have a prototype tonight since I'm getting so anxious about finishing. Whether or not it works is another question. I think I've found away around the small traces & etching, so I'm optomistic. The next steps could go pretty quickly if I don't have any unanticipated problems (when has that ever happened? ...oh yea...)

Sorry to be so simple, but I'm trying to psych myself up to spend the buckets o' ducets on mvigneau's solution... Is it true that you've gotten rid of the pause/mute between tracks but you still need a cd to play? The momentary switch is a trivial problem to put anywhere (and then getting it hidden so it looks like nowhere).

mvigneau, just curious...are you permanently disabling the skip-mute, or is that part of your switching, so that it's only disabled when the aux port is utilized?

thanks for the clarification guys. I like not having that skip every 80 minutes, but I dont really like hacking wires more than I have to, I'll just have to see how that goes.. whoever finishes first is probablly the one I'll buy ;) that is.. if I'm to that point of my project by that time. I know its a needed part and if you are only going to make a limited # I dont wanna put it off, just keep me informed hehe I really would like to thank you both again for taking the time and effort to put this into play, it only makes practical sense that if the CD changer is controlled through a seemingly analog signal, that that signal can be intercepted and our own signal put on the line, it goes to show you tho, that if yall can come up with this, think about how easy it would have been for the guys who mdae the radio to put this in? the question then becomes.. why DIDNT it come this way? I think paypal is a great way to do it, especially if you are verified shipping, cos then the address you need to ship to is already filled out and sent to you on file in a place you can easy access it.

[quote name='jazzymt']I think I've found away around the small traces & etching, so I'm optomistic.[/QUOTE] Sounds great. Have you considered using PC boards with additional layers or if you had to use small traces, special PC boards that prevent signal loss? I'm not a EE but some of the EEs I used to work with did PCB layouts all the time. [quote name='darkfox1']I really would like to thank you both again for taking the time and effort to put this into play[/QUOTE] Ditto to that. Ken

Archived