LegacyGT.com

iPod Direct-connection successful! (but VERY difficult)

centerpunch

Hey...I received the radio and found this chip on there. I don't know if we can use it or not but it is surface mount, so I may end up just going with the flat cable method and switch since it will require no surface mount soldering. [url]http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/M/6/2/4/M62490FP.shtml[/url]

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
after doing the mod, if I am set to fm and then I play my mp3 player it plays right along with the fm radio. It seems to act like it is mixed right in. they play together with no volume or distortion. pushing cd plays the cd player, but I wonder if it simply mutes the fm audio. -peter

:argue: your so right, I forgot because I have two amps 1000/1 & 4/450 now stop bitch at me. I just said it was good for an i-pod install so you would not have people out there blowing there cars up or at least have to buy a new radio from subaru that is$$$$$$$

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='mvigneau']I don't like working with surface mount stuff so I am going to do the PIE thing. Since it auto-switches also. I have ordered the parts from digikey (enough to make 5 sets) and will get some breadboards from Radioshack and put together something.[/QUOTE] Mike, the pitch of the solder pins on the ribbon connectors won't line up with a breadboard or any generic project board -- it will basically require custom drilled and soldered boards to put together. There are several online services that will do it for a nominal cost -- just spec the DigiKey part numbers and the circuit path, and they will fab them up. I think that would be the most practical solution, if someone wants to take the project on. The board would basically have a couple ribbon connectors and some RCA jacks. Craig

Yeah...I figured that out with the radiohack breadboard that I have. I already purchased and received the ribbon cable and RCA jacks. I will also wire a switch/circuit of some sort so that I can cut the traces of the Sat button (since it is momentary and will not work with the relays) and use that to switch between the iPod and CD. There will also be a relay switch (DPDT) for the switching instead of the PIE switcher. I just need to get familiar with PCad since I have never used it before.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to beat a deadhorse, but I have built the preliminary schematic for my board with the parts needed. I will check the output of the CD changer to match the iPod's output to the CD Changer's. That way we don't have to decrease the signal by half like centerpunch has.

Here it is so far. This is just to show I am actually working on it and that I haven't forgot about it. I will explain in more detail with install pics when I actually am finished it.

B_Schematic.JPG.7c4108f3d13f444845252446b5507b9e.JPG

No...I didn't get into the databus or anything. I could look into it when I get back from my vacation, but I am going to run a board with the components in the schematic so that I can do some more testing. I will definitely know for sure when it is hooked up. P.S. I am using the Sat momentary button and cutting the traces to it and using them for my iPod connection so that way I don't have to add another button to my car. That way I hit CD to get the CD on and then I hit Satellite(Blank) to switch from iPod to CD.

Here's something I've been wondering about... What if someone could find the place inside the head unit where the AM/FM tuner output gets fed into the amplifier? I'd think there would have to be some point where the CD and radio signals meet up at some kind of selector circuit, which selects one of those audio sources and passes it on to the pre-amp stage of the system, where the volume and tone controls take effect. If those line-level tuner outputs could be found, then perhaps we could splice in right there. We'd definitely need a switch which fully cuts out the radio signal when switching over to the iPod -- no chance of using a passive RC network like you can along with a blank CD. But think of it... no damned CD needed! No muting when your dummy CD auto-repeats! All you'd have to do is turn on the radio, flip your bypass switch, and you'd be set. No mechanical wear-and-tear on your system either. The convenience of a wired-FM solution, with the sound quality of the CD solution. I realize this might be very tricky... maybe even close to impossible if the signal lines are in some hard-to-reach layer of a multi-layer PC board. These signals certainly won't be as easy to find as the CD changer signals, but if they could be found and intercepted, the possibility for a much more satisfying line-level input would great.

Kevin at pie.net says if enough people email Eddy Lucero in R&D, they'll look into making an adapter for us. So here's what you do Email: [email]questions@pie.net[/email] Subject: Need aux input adapter for my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Attn: Eddy Lucero Body: Mr Lucero, I am very interested in getting a high-quality external audio signal into my Legacy. Currently there is nothing on the market better for this application than an FM Modulator, and I am loath to lose the sound quality by using that solution. If Pie could come up with a reasonably priced input solution for my stock 2005 Legacy head unit, I would definitely purchase it and recommend it to my friends Feel free and put your own message in there, that's the lame little blurb I came up with off the top of my head

[quote name='mvigneau']No...I didn't get into the databus or anything. I could look into it when I get back from my vacation, but I am going to run a board with the components in the schematic so that I can do some more testing. I will definitely know for sure when it is hooked up. P.S. I am using the Sat momentary button and cutting the traces to it and using them for my iPod connection so that way I don't have to add another button to my car. That way I hit CD to get the CD on and then I hit Satellite(Blank) to switch from iPod to CD.[/QUOTE] How tough was your install - are you getting it close to where an ordinary audio installer could do it mate? -Brydon

[quote name='mvigneau']Hey...I received the radio and found this chip on there. I don't know if we can use it or not but it is surface mount, so I may end up just going with the flat cable method and switch since it will require no surface mount soldering. [url]http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/M/6/2/4/M62490FP.shtml[/url][/QUOTE] I think this chip might be more important than first seems. The M62490 datasheet states that this chip is "for analog small signal handling of stage before power amplifier". We should be able to add an analog mux at the mixed inputs to add our own aux in. Pin 4 & 33 are the mixed inputs for L and R channel. Also interesting, the chip supports differential inputs which is more resistant to noise than the typical L/R channel inputs. With the datasheet, we also know the serial protocol used to control volumn, fade, balance, bass/mid/treble tones.

[quote name='mvigneau']I finished the schematic and the board should be here next week and I can begin testing....Here it is:[/QUOTE]I probably should have looked earlier but you probably want to debounce/current limit the input button. Not to mention zapping the thing while you're in the car and blowing up the chip.

Talking about blowing up chips (as evidenced by the escape of the smoke that makes them all work), my Mum recently damaged the smoke theory badly . She complained that after she hosed her portable radio out in the garden, it stopped working, and there was absolutely no sign of smoke escaping.....If all the smoke is still there, why doesnt it work? jp :-)

[quote name='jp928']Talking about blowing up chips (as evidenced by the escape of the smoke that makes them all work), my Mum recently damaged the smoke theory badly . She complained that after she hosed her portable radio out in the garden, it stopped working, and there was absolutely no sign of smoke escaping.....If all the smoke is still there, why doesnt it work? jp :-)[/QUOTE] lol.....we used to send toasted Fosgate amps back for service with the request: "put the smoke back in please" :lol:

[quote name='mvigneau']I finished the schematic and the board should be here next week and I can begin testing....Here it is:[/QUOTE] The button is setup to toggle, so only that one button can enter and exit from the aux mode. Another way would be to connect the aux button to preset signal, then AND the CD/FM/AM buttons to the reset signal. This way, the aux button will enter the aux mode but any other button would exit from aux mode. IIRC, the buttons are active low. -Bryan

[quote name='Deer Killer']I doubt any real company is going to make an input adapter where you need to hack open the radio and splice into the internals. They might give you positive feedback until they discover they is no external input whatsoever.[/QUOTE] I agree totally. This is not the kind of application PIE can work on -- they pretty much require an externa changer connector. Someone should write back in so they don't waste their time. CRaig

Archived