LegacyGT.com

iPod Direct-connection successful! (but VERY difficult)

centerpunch

The pins on the tuner module are realtively big, compared to most of the other components on the board which are surface mount, so it shouldn't be too difficult to splice in there either by desoldering the pin and easing it out, or simply cutting it. Of course, this depends on your level of experience with a soldering iron - I wouldn't say it's a job for a beginner. Tim.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im not actually going to read this thread...and am not sure if anyone still checks on it...but what i bought plugs into the ipod, then into the cigarette outlet...and broadcasts it to one of 6 radio stations. its easier than hard wiring, and only about 30 bucks i think. we also have that extra cig lighter in the arm rest...so we can still light a butt:)

First of all, I am truly impressed at the tech savy and perserverance of those doing the direct-in or even FM antenna splice solution for Satellite or iPod input. I have some tech background and ability but not the time or guts to rip the whole mess out and risk my warranty (and sanity). So my approach is the following letter to the President of Subaru (name and address not so easy to find!) and also through my dealer. My dealer insists it is percolating through the system and may get results, although the best to hope for is probably a "stock" antenna adapter for FM modulator. But if enough folks wrote maybe it would be faster and ultimately more comprehensive. By the way, does anyone know for SURE that there are "pre-amp outs' on the stock unit for using an outboard amp, since that solution could allow a mini pre-amp (like a headphone amp) to direct-in an outboard signal to the amp as some have suggested. Thanks .................................................................................................................. [color=black]To:[/color] [color=black]Chairman, President, and CEO: Kunio Ishigami [/color] [color=black]Subaru[/color][color=black]Plaza[/color][color=black] 2235 R.R. 70 B[/color] [color=black]Cherry Hill[/color][color=black], [/color][color=black]NJ[/color][color=black]08002[/color] [color=black]Dear Sir:[/color] [color=black][font=Courier New]I have would like to bring to your attention a technologic anomaly in my Subaru that has severely compromised my appreciation of my otherwise excellent new 2005 Legacy Sedan GT. (VIN# _______________) This anomaly has colored my purchase decision to the point I would not recommend this car or buy a new one until this problem is fixed, which is ridiculously easy.... in the production stage.[/font][/color] [color=black][font=Courier New]My concern? I discovered after I bought the car there is NO GOOD WAY to get an "auxiliary signal" in my case XM radio, to others -iPods and the like, into the Stock (and hard to replace) stereo system in this car. I have a portable XM unit and a 4 year contract with XM paid for.[/font][/color] [color=black][font=Courier New]I asked the local dealer to install "direct in" jacks as part of the deal to buy this car, because I otherwise liked the sound system, and part of my financial calculation was not needing to spend more on the audio. He agreed, in good faith. This is [b]not[/b] a complaint about the dealer or sales staff.[/font][/color] [color=black][font=Courier New]When I bought the car in, I was told neither his service dept NOR the local electronic dealer, Crutchfield, could do this! He was right; there is NO aux signal route in, even "round the back". Previously I was using the XM via a cassette adapter in my 95 Legacy, but of course in new one, no cassette. I was then told my best option was a "hard wired FM modulator" which injects the signal directly into the antenna input, heard through the FM radio, and lowers the interference from outside stations. This is a "just barely acceptable" solution to audio buffs. I was not crazy about this but thought I could live with this. Then, guess what, I learn that this can be adapted to EVERY CAR in the WORLD [b][i]except[/i][/b] new Subaru's because of an "atypical" antenna jack!! I was then suggested a totally unacceptable alternative, a "wireless FM modulator". These are famous for and confirmed by me for rotten fidelity and much interference. Not useful in this day of digital audio![/font][/color] [color=black][font=Courier New]So I am totally frustrated, to the point of having to recommend against an otherwise great car to those millions of us who depend on good music for our sanity. I have no idea how to solve my dilemma, but I would [b][i]greatly appreciate a solution from Subaru.[/i][/b][/font][/color] [color=black][font=Courier New]This would be so easily accommodated, by an OEM radio with a tiny "auxiliary" stereo mini-jack on the face plate![/font][/color] [color=black][font=Courier New]Then I could enjoy my daily commute on an otherwise fun and practical car.[/font][/color] [color=black][font=Courier New]Thanks for your attention to this matter.[/font][/color] [color=black]Sincerely,[/color] [color=black]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/color]

Excellent letter, cantinflas! Would you let us know if you get a reply? Thanks. To answer your question, there are no pre-amp outputs or inputs. People hooking up external amps are doing it from the speaker outputs. Every pin on the audio system connector at the back is accounted for, there are no spare pins that could be pre-amp connections.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='n8gray'] The CD changer seems to use the Panasonic MN662785TBUC as its main chip. The data sheet is available here: [url="http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/M/N/6/6/MN662785TBUC.shtml"]http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/M/N/6/6/MN662785TBUC.shtml[/url] [/QUOTE] I had a thought - I know that the changer in my A4 (my previous car up until last friday) was a panasonic unit. I would think that if the subaru changer has a panasonic chipset, that the protocols may be the same (or similar enough) to an audi or other oem branded unit. The only way to tell would be to take apart an audi changer and see if the chipset is the same. If they are - it would just be a matter of getting an ice link and figuring out the pinouts. This is all a long shot, but it's worth looking into. I'm going to call around to the junkyards and see if I can get a cd changer to take apart. Tom

[quote name='3tones']I had a thought - I know that the changer in my A4 (my previous car up until last friday) was a panasonic unit. I would think that if the subaru changer has a panasonic chipset, that the protocols may be the same (or similar enough) to an audi or other oem branded unit. The only way to tell would be to take apart an audi changer and see if the chipset is the same. If they are - it would just be a matter of getting an ice link and figuring out the pinouts. This is all a long shot, but it's worth looking into. I'm going to call around to the junkyards and see if I can get a cd changer to take apart. Tom[/QUOTE] If the ICElink works with the Audi radio, then it means that radio has an external CD-changer jack. There is no such jack on the Leg/OB radio. So I son't see how you'd figure out pinouts -- there are no pins!! CRaig

[quote name='c_hunter']If the ICElink works with the Audi radio, then it means that radio has an external CD-changer jack. There is no such jack on the Leg/OB radio. So I son't see how you'd figure out pinouts -- there are no pins!! CRaig[/QUOTE] If it was the same chipset, you could trace the wires from the chip to the external cord. You could to the same from the chip on the subaru changer and match them up. Once again, BIG assumptions... just an idea. Tom

FYI I had a pic of a the back of a stock radio, looked almost the same as ours _except_ there was a round din connector using the pioneer pbus protocol where we have this blank black plastic plate.. can't dig it up.. argh.. I think it was from an older outback.

I've read through all the posts in this thread and find these modifications to be very interesting - so much in fact that I may decide to try this on my own HU to 'iPod-enable' my setup. I do have one question however: This modification creates a 'virtual' auxilliary-in connection with the head unit. Is there any chance that a similar 'auxilliary-out' connection can be created here so that we may patch line-level signals to outboard power-amps? I know of the 'CleanSweep' product that JL audio is producing and respect it - but if we just wanted a simple aux-out connection instead of an expensive DSP unit, it would be great if we could just 'hack' the connection and be done with it, without having to shelf-out the $400 for the CleanSweep unit. Just a thought, anyways. Anyone else have thoughts on this? D.SCOTT

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I know this is an old and well thought out thread, but I've got another possible path to get your ipod or xm radio installed. The automatic climate control panel is used in the sti, sans the massive, integrated audio circuit board. If you could get a new or used set of AC controls from an sti you could install them into a replacement faceplate for the Legacy. You could divorce the audio circuitry and install any HU you want, including the killer double-DIN nav units with multiple inputs, so you could use an ipod AND an xm radio. Once you've separated the AC and audio controls, the sky's the limit. Or you could wait until next year when Subaru upgrades the HU and does it for you...

[quote name='tbunch35']Or you could wait until next year when Subaru upgrades the HU and does it for you...[/QUOTE] If this a guess, a rumor or is it a stated fact? If the later please post the source. I would like to buy a 05 GT Limited, but I am stumbling over the fact that there is no Sat radio and no aux connection for a portable music device. If it is certain that the 06 car will have accessable aux inputs or at least sat radio I will wait. Thanks.

Has anyone looked at the datasheet for the Panasonic MN662785TBUC? I looked briefly and it has analog audio (L+R) Outs. Assuming that is the correct chip, I don't know if it will be beneficial or better than Centerpunch's method but we could be getting closer. If the CD Changer uses the same chip, then we could basically use the input from that and direct line it in and use a switcher. I don't know if it makes sense. Buy an input for an identical CD Changer (Chip). Convert the ribbon cable to the CD Changer input end. Use a switcher like this one: [url]http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piex3auxconv.html[/url] That way we could switch between the CD Changer and 3 other inputs but that is assuming we can figure out the pinouts and CD Changer chip as well as another OEM Radio that uses that.

Mike, I think you are on to something, but how is it any different/better than what Centerpunch did many months ago? As far as I am concerned, intercepting the amp in / cd out at the ribbon cable is the best approach (it's so damn simple). If I had more time, I would have some boards fabbed to do that. All the parts exist at DigiKey, it's just a matter of designing a simple board with the connectors to make it plug and play. From there, any number of switching methods could be used. I plan on doing a one-off job on my OB XT later in the summer, when I have some time. The PIE switcher looks like a good bet. A non-shorting audio switch would also work (but they tend to cost more than the PIE switcher, so why bother). CRaig [quote name='mvigneau']Has anyone looked at the datasheet for the Panasonic MN662785TBUC? I looked briefly and it has analog audio (L+R) Outs. Assuming that is the correct chip, I don't know if it will be beneficial or better than Centerpunch's method but we could be getting closer. If the CD Changer uses the same chip, then we could basically use the input from that and direct line it in and use a switcher. I don't know if it makes sense. Buy an input for an identical CD Changer (Chip). Convert the ribbon cable to the CD Changer input end. Use a switcher like this one: [url]http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piex3auxconv.html[/url] That way we could switch between the CD Changer and 3 other inputs but that is assuming we can figure out the pinouts and CD Changer chip as well as another OEM Radio that uses that.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='mvigneau']Has anyone looked at the datasheet for the Panasonic MN662785TBUC? I looked briefly and it has analog audio (L+R) Outs. Assuming that is the correct chip, I don't know if it will be beneficial or better than Centerpunch's method but we could be getting closer. [/QUOTE]I assume this means you finally got a unit to play with? Anyways, that chip is definately down the wrong path..

I did this mod last night. I did it a little differently. I did not mess with the ribbon cable to much other than to remove the Lch and rch ribbon using the exacto nice as described. I taped the underside of the board like was shown as well to feed the audo back into the stereo. The difference is that I connected to the cd player audio on the cd changer board instead of trying to solder the ribbon cable. when you remove the cd changer, there is a metal plate that covers part of the circuit board near the ribbon cable socket on the changer (the ribbon cable was taped to this board on my car) If you remove the two screws that hold this metal shield on, you will notice two solder pads labeled LCH and RCH. I soldered on to these and it was pretty straight forward. I also used a switch which I mounted to the plastic radio face plate along with a headphone min jack to plug the mp3 player into. for the cd changer audio ground (which I don't think you need as audio and chassis ground seem to be the same with 10 ohms of resistance between them) I separated the cd changer audio ground from the l/r audio ribbon and plugged it into the main board socket. This is still a difficult mod if you are not experienced with electronics and soldering. there are many ways to screw things up permantly. I do think taping the cd changer audio on the solder pads is substantially easier than trying to solder to the ribbon cable. -peter

Good idea, cmos20! Hey guys, hope someone takes this project forward, but I'm out of here, picking up a 2004 Audi S4 today, so my GT LTD will be for sale, iPod adapter and all. (11.5K miles, silver, extra set of wheels (STi wheels with Pilot PS2's) and transferable 7yr/100K Subaru warranty available if the buyer is interested in those........) OK, bye! Centerpunch

[quote name='jim malach']to much to do just buy the jl clean sweep then u just plug it in to it and it has alot more things to check it out on there site[/QUOTE] you don't 'just plug it in' :rolleyes:

well you know more then the v.p. of jl for got. well you do have to install the clean sweep first but have u seen it yet no so how do you even know the jl instller said that it's plug and play oh run the wire for the i-pod I don't even like i-pod :p

[quote name='centerpunch']Good idea, cmos20! Hey guys, hope someone takes this project forward, but I'm out of here, picking up a 2004 Audi S4 today, so my GT LTD will be for sale, iPod adapter and all. (11.5K miles, silver, extra set of wheels (STi wheels with Pilot PS2's) and transferable 7yr/100K Subaru warranty available if the buyer is interested in those........) OK, bye! Centerpunch[/QUOTE] :( Sadly.. I've been thinking of a similar route.

[quote name='jim malach']well you know more then the v.p. of jl for got. well you do have to install the clean sweep first but have u seen it yet no so how do you even know the jl instller said that it's plug and play oh run the wire for the i-pod I don't even like i-pod :p[/QUOTE] Jim - in case you forgot to read, the CleanSweep MUST be used with outboard amplification and it would make sense to swap speakers as well. This thread is about a low-cost mod to the stock radio to enable an AUX input for those that don't care to replace everything and buy equipment. Two VERY DIFFERENT solutions. Please have your facts in order BEFORE posting next time. And, if you don't care about the subject, why even post? :rolleyes: PGT

no it does not need to be hook to any out "board amplification" what you read somthing and can't understand it our what go to jl site it # that abbreviation for number 4 and read. I read about it because I bought it mr. moderator:(

[quote name='jim malach']no it does not need to be hook to any out "board amplification" what you read somthing and can't understand it our what go to jl site it # that abbreviation for number 4 and read. I read about it because I bought it mr. moderator:([/QUOTE] Jim - How could you have bought it when it hasn't been released yet? :rolleyes: [quote name='jlaudio.com'] With CleanSweep™, installers can take the audio outputs from almost any OEM head unit or amplifier, level-match and correct the frequency response, and deliver high-quality signals for [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]aftermarket audio equipment[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]. #5 CleanSweep™ then converts the digitally corrected signals back to analog audio and sends them out through two pairs of low-distortion 8 volt (RMS) [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Red]line level outputs[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/quote] I hope I made it easy for you. "[COLOR=Red][B]Line level output's[/B][/COLOR]" equals RCA outputs, like those on an outboard amplifier. Since the OEM radio has no RCA inputs, you MUST use aftermarket equipment. If you need more info to make it more clear to you, just let me know....I'll be glad to oblige. Mr. Moderator PGT to you Jim :D

Archived