LegacyGT.com

Another OEM NAVI Features Hack Thread - Progress and Documents

SubLo

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

f85stealth did you install it in your car? If so which camera did you go with?

I think the tribeca camera requires buying the camera and a sending unit which makes it twice the price of other after market cameras. I am not 100% but more than 50/50

f85stealth did you install it in your car? If so which camera did you go with?

I think the tribeca camera requires buying the camera and a sending unit which makes it twice the price of other after market cameras. I am not 100% but more than 50/50

No i didnt install the camera but its easy i did the aux vid in

i'd recommend getting just a regular camera..

its cheaper & works really well..

i got one from crimestopper.com and it works flawless..

its kinda big (i was decieved by the ad pic) but its still a lot smaller than trebeca's.. LOL..

i dont know what's up with automakers making huge rear view cameras..

acura MDX comes with huge rear view camera too (last gen MDX came with smaller, stealthy unit) and i heard its a lot slower to boot up compared to the smaller one from last gen..

can anyone teach me how to attach pics from my computer?? i could attach pics of my rear view camera..

i did it a few times long time ago but i cant remember how i did that.. damn.. LOL..

im using os x by the way.. maybe its different for mac.. ?? i think i posted pics from a pc last time.. im not sure tho.. :s

thanks~ :)

here are pics of my rear view camera install.. :)

Which camera model is that (SV6300?) and where did you buy it from?

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

thanks~ :)

here are pics of my rear view camera install.. :)

I like it. Where did you get it? How hard was the install?

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

i got it from crimestopper.com and yes it is SV6300..

i dont think crimstopper.com actually sells cameras so i think u have to google it.. it wasnt hard to find.. so..

i paid around $120 for it..

dont be decieved by the pic tho.. is kinda big.. im pretty sure u guys can find something smaller..

install wasnt hard at all.. just time consuming.. it took me a while cus i was careful not to rip things apart and break things.. :p

if i had to do it agian.. it'll take me about 1.5~2 hrs i think..

anyways.. the camera works great and it is a LOT smaller than trebeca's camera.. LOL

i think the plate mounted cameras are smaller but then i didnt wanna risk getting it ripped out of my car in LA.. :p

plus i thought this camera would look more OE than plate mounted ones (which is true i think.. but then again, its kinda big.. :S)

unidentified84, thats great! Still a bit on the big side. I didn't know the B9 piece was larger.

Hmmm, I think it was in this thread that someone suggested hiding the camera behind the Subaru 'star' badge in the trunk after clearing it of the paint. I still like that idea.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

unidentified84, thats great! Still a bit on the big side. I didn't know the B9 piece was larger.

Hmmm, I think it was in this thread that someone suggested hiding the camera behind the Subaru 'star' badge in the trunk after clearing it of the paint. I still like that idea.

That was my idea and still my intention. I was thinking to "cast" an acrylic, Lexan, or similar polymer Scoobaru emblem replete with pins in and mount the camera in there. I think that's the cleanest option.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

i thought about that too but i just didnt have the balls to put drill a hole in my trunk.. LOL..

anyways.. i wouldve been completely satisfied if only i had a smaller camera.. ;)

Considering I'm putting a wing on the car that requires drilling into it....I may attack this at some point and not be so worried about it.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bring up the backup camera again, but I have a couple questions regarding the setup that I have not found answered in this very helpful thread.

First, The molex connector on the back of the Nav system... Its been well documented where to place the video feed, however, I am wondering there is also a power source? It is afterall a 4 pin connector, I am confused as to why there would only be two useful leads off of it? One note, I was unable to find the part #39-01-3042 at my local electronics mecca (JB Saunders, Boulder Colorado) but I did find a package with 39-01-3041 included. For two bucks I thought it was worth a shot. Imagine my surprise when the male receptacle actually fit.. I have not added the wires or terminals yet, so more to come on this later.

unidentified84, I have also procured the crimestopper camera and I think your install looks very nice. Looking at the install pictures you have posted, and the camera itself, it looks like you have made a cut out in the plastic piece that houses the license plate lights. Am I correct on this.. or am I way off base? I am also very curios as to where you sourced power for the unit. Could you enlighten me?

Many thanks to all of you trail blazers.

Ryan

I am also very curios as to where you sourced power for the unit.
I would tap into the power leading to one of the backup lights, since the camera is only used when the car is in reverse.

;1175752']I would tap into the power leading to one of the backup lights' date=' since the camera is only used when the car is in reverse.[/quote']

Thats what I shall do then. Thanks Jon!

I hate to bring up the backup camera again, but I have a couple questions regarding the setup that I have not found answered in this very helpful thread.

First, The molex connector on the back of the Nav system... Its been well documented where to place the video feed, however, I am wondering there is also a power source? It is afterall a 4 pin connector, I am confused as to why there would only be two useful leads off of it? One note, I was unable to find the part #39-01-3042 at my local electronics mecca (JB Saunders, Boulder Colorado) but I did find a package with 39-01-3041 included. For two bucks I thought it was worth a shot. Imagine my surprise when the male receptacle actually fit.. I have not added the wires or terminals yet, so more to come on this later.

unidentified84, I have also procured the crimestopper camera and I think your install looks very nice. Looking at the install pictures you have posted, and the camera itself, it looks like you have made a cut out in the plastic piece that houses the license plate lights. Am I correct on this.. or am I way off base? I am also very curios as to where you sourced power for the unit. Could you enlighten me?

Many thanks to all of you trail blazers.

Ryan

YES, i did cut out platic piece that houses the license plate lights.. and YES i hooked power to reverse lights..

im not sure about the 4th pin connector in the back of nav screen.. my camera works fine without it.. so.. i could care less.. ? idk..

btw, i didnt use a molex connector.. i made my own connector (crappy, but works fine) so i dont know anything about molex connectors.. LOL

Does anyone have the new European DVD? I have V 2.0 for the US, and would like to compare the loading.kwi files. The "not changing data while in motion" is miserable. (I was stuck in traffic yesterday going about 5mph, and couldn't change my destination! It took me 20 minutes to enter in "Home Depot"!)
When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

I didnt cut the plastic I just put it back into place and smashed my wire behind it. Also with the plate cams I think you get to use the screw hole to run your wiring through.

I also wondered about a power source coming out of the back of the navigation unit. Makes sense to me to power the camera out of it.

I bought a kenwood cv2000 i think was the model. I am very happy with the results. I bought it hoping it would come with the molex connector and b/c it is made by the same people that amde the navigation. I read some things that made me believe that but it uses a different kind of molex to connect the camera to its sending unit(brain) that then is wired to power ground etc...

Archived