LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably already asked in this thread but 159 pages was a little much to go through them all...if I did this to an H6 would I get that boxer growl or is that pretty much limited the 4cyl setups?

made mine sound reminiscent of a porsche :) its a smoother sound than what the 4 cyl's are hearing. its interesting to say the least!

Whoo one side is off! But got a question, do I need to scrape the gasket off or just leave it and put the washers in, I forget?

edit: Answered my question, blanked out and forgot to look at the first page

Edited by T4RBoarder

yeah mine were the same way... im 99% positive they hadnt been touched since 2005. i sprayed wd-40 on and let it soak in for a few minutes, then used a breaker bar.

Apply generous amounts of grease to bolts and nuts and this will help for next removal or upgrade......

Not to let you down hogmeat, but I talked to my mechanic today and was told this mod will mess up the computer in the car, and will make me go through spark plugs like water. has anyone had longterm experience with this mod?

Got one of the pipes done, after six washers - one that magically disappeared after I had to blow it out, a lot of PB blaster later, and some cut knuckles it's done. Now the bad part...I don't really think it's that loud? I haven't done the other side yet but will it really make that much of a difference?

LOL. You got it rough, man. You need some air tools.

As for loudness, yes you will experience almost a doubling in volume on 1 vs 2. Also, how thick are the washers? If you used 2 thin ones, go with 4, or 2 thick ones. The ones I used were probably 8-10 in a 1" stack.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

.... Here's what I like, with a 1/16 in. "Hogzaust" gap the exhaust is still whisper quiet at Idle, but any pressure on the gas and the car comes alive. - Sort of a self-adjusting free-flow exhaust, the more I accelerate, the more gasses escape from the gap, at WOT, very loud. By far the most restrictive point in the system is the small diameter tailpipe at the end of the stock muffler, the rest of the system w. header is decent sized tubing so - needless to say, the "Hogzaust" works perfectly on this old Subaru. - With all other mods included, I'm probably pushing, (and it feels like it), around 160-170hp out of this ej2.2, not bad in a lightweight 1996.

I have about a 9/16 gap. I'm thinking about making some steel straps to separate the muffler from the pipe. By raising the muffler inlet above the pipe exit. Actually, bypassing the muffler(s).

Anyone else thought about that ? It's getting colder now so I'll wait until spring time to play with it more.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just completed my hog zawst and I really like the idle volume but as I drive it seems to be pretty quiet, I dont know what some of these people were talking about when they say its to loud for there taste, Sorry this mod isnt stealth! last time i checked you were trying to get away from stealth.

Anyways I think I will make the gap larger tomorrow, I only have a 2 washer gap on each flange and I forgot to take out the gasket on the drivers side. I didnt even notice it, the passenger side almost came straight off when I un-did the bolts. On a more positive note I am happy with the results and I am very pleased until I can drop a real dime on some nice fart cans.

Edited by GTride05
Dont know how to spell

not gonna lie. I had hogzawst on my car until I got my Megan exhaust and then I replaced my cans with straight pipes and it was nice but a little loud and now the cans are back on and its too quiet so I think i might hogzawst my Megan and get a happy medium. I think I might fab up a kind of shield that goes over the top of the gap though so as to keep some of the residue off the car itself. I'll post results when I finish.

useless signature line where i cant mention my sponsors

"First Bagged BL5!"

not gonna lie. I had hogzawst on my car until I got my Megan exhaust and then I replaced my cans with straight pipes and it was nice but a little loud and now the cans are back on and its too quiet so I think i might hogzawst my Megan and get a happy medium. I think I might fab up a kind of shield that goes over the top of the gap though so as to keep some of the residue off the car itself. I'll post results when I finish.

I have yet to see any residue being created by the open exhaust. If that much residue is building up on your car, then i think you may have a bigger issue in terms of inproper combustion.

Finally finished the other side and I am trying to figure out if I should add some more wahsers? Let me know what you guys think...here's a video, it's not the greatest but it's all I could do at the time and I will try to get a better one up.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

I miss my hogzhaust mod :( Despite what the wife will say, I will be putting it back on. You guys, how thick are your washers? I am debating if I should use 3 instead of 2.

Also, since there no longer is a gasket, there is no "give" so I am contemplating adding a crush gasket/washer on each bolt.