LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you hogmeat, I'm relatively new, but thank you :)

Unfortunately I'm having a hell of a time trying to unscrew the bolts that have probably been on my '05 for 5+ years now.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting the mufflers/cans off?

I went Hog stg2 b/c I was extremely bored on Tuesday...I love it! lol I even had people at my work telling me 'it sounds so good...what did you do to your exhaust?" Then it's my turn to just laugh.

As far as the bolts that don't want to come undone...a little squirt of PB blaster...let sit a couple minutes and presto. WD40 or similar would work as well. If you don't have a breaker bar to get them to budge initially, you can always try a little length of pipe on your ratchet handle...or just use two boxend wrenches end on end (open end on bolt...open end of 2nd wrench in the box end of first to give you more leverage)

Thank you hogmeat, I'm relatively new, but thank you :)

Unfortunately I'm having a hell of a time trying to unscrew the bolts that have probably been on my '05 for 5+ years now.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting the mufflers/cans off?

I had a similar problem...so i used a breaker bar with a cheater bar on top of that and blamo, off they came :)

Good luck

Any reason my mufflers not be aligned anymore one relative to the other now that I had removed the washers? Still trying to get back to stock the proper way. Tried supporting the Y-pipe with both off, the tips simply don't line up.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you and goodbye "hogzaust", I have had the hogzaust system up and operating for almost a year. - I am on a budget, but I found a reasonably priced axle back, (SPT #soa8376300 for 1996 Legacy - $179.00, a rare find esp. new), so I will be trying this out. - I will always have fond memories of my "good 'ole" hogzaust though, it was there when I needed it to work with other mods.

I must also say thank you and goodbye "hogzaust". After seven months with four washers on each bolt, I decided to purchase and install a used Magnaflow exhaust. You did well and now its time to move on. Thanks again!!
Sold: 2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B #104 of 500

• 2 weeks later...

Is it common to get exhaust pop or "backfire" after doing this? Or do I possibly have an issue else where? I get slight pops every time I shift even when being quite easy on it, and if I abruptly let off the gas to shift hard after hard acceleration it can be quite loud.

I still need to run through everything on this car since its new to me, and I am wondering if maybe my noise can be caused by bad o2 sensors, and old plugs and such... I did not see any of those replaced in any of the service papers I got with the car.

True but typically the exhaust leaks that cause pops are pre-cat, where the exhaust is hotter and has more flammable fumes in it.

Just wanted to check because I was starting to think I was running a bit rich or something else is going on.

maybe its something else but mine does it *not as bad as this video* and ive seen others do it

like this one..?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJnhqo3gqrc&feature=related]YouTube- new hogzaust sytem[/ame]

Mine still has a little popping when I rev it after it has been idling for a few seconds sitting at a stop light even with the new pipes and tips, (muffler deletes).

I think it sounds nice, like a muscle car from the 60's. I enjoy having no mufflers better then the Hog-zawt system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah mines not as bad as that video, its just on the shifts... Oh and I don't sit in my driveway and rev the shit out of my car like that so really I don't know... LOL

Oh and Max Capacity, if I want the muscle car sound I just drive my other car... ;)

This was after I finished running through the whole thing this year... Granted it is open exhaust in this vid, but the second one is full exhaust before I tore it down last year.

Pinky Parts :: MVI_2755.flv video by 3400modified - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid257.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Pinky%20Parts/MVI_2755.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid257@@AMEPARAM@@257@@AMEPARAM@@hh201/3400modified/Pinky%20Parts/MVI_2755

Pinky Parts :: MVI_2350.flv video by 3400modified - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid257.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid257.photobucket.com/albums/hh201/3400modified/Pinky%20Parts/MVI_2350.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid257@@AMEPARAM@@257@@AMEPARAM@@hh201/3400modified/Pinky%20Parts/MVI_2350

I'll have to wait until I get home to view the vid's. On a side note the other day while walking into a store in a plaza, a G8 was pulling out from a stop light. That thing sounded alot like my old 1970 GTO 4 speed, nice burbble when the car shifted.

With my muffler deletes my son say's the car doesn't sound like a Subby going down the road.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

mine backfires when the RPM's are going down. From all the videos ive seen it is common... after all.. it is an exhaust leak haha

I didn't think this was a common issue? Mine definately doesn't snap crackle and pop like that!

If i'm not mistaken, if your car pops/backfires like that, wouldn't it be due to some unburnt fuel combusting in your exhaust? If this is the case, wouldn't a simple tune fix that?

On a side note the other day while walking into a store in a plaza, a G8 was pulling out from a stop light. That thing sounded alot like my old 1970 GTO 4 speed, nice burbble when the car shifted.

Pontiac finally did the right thing by letting someone else make their cars. Those Aussies have been making nice "modern" muscle cars for quite some time! This may tick some people off but I feel as though they are better at it then the domestic manufacturers!!!

Edited by Mendozer

If i'm not mistaken, if your car pops/backfires like that, wouldn't it be due to some unburnt fuel combusting in your exhaust? If this is the case, wouldn't a simple tune fix that?

how do i tune the engine..? im 16 haha dont know much about my car yet

Yes a pop is typically unburnt fuel in the exhaust, and thats why I wonder with mine as consistant as it is, would that point to possibly a bad o2 sensor making my car run richer than necessary?

I also do have the typical 07-09 studder I guess... I don't think this car had ever been brought in for the reflash before I bought it. But since I have a TPMS light blinking now, I kinda have to bring it somewhere to fix/replace the bad sensor and at the same time I will ask them about the "reflash" for 07-09 cars that fixes hesitation studder at part throttle.

I wonder if after I do get it re-flashed (even if I have to pay for it) if this pop will go away, or get less.

The pop your hearing is just the exhaust in the tubing. It's not a true back fire. Don't worry about it.

B-BGT great videos, I have always liked those cars. Wish Chevy still made them.

You should contact Mike at TuningAlliance.com and have him do a reflash and may be adjust some things for you. He's done his magic on my car twice. I just order Parin end links from him. tuningalliance@gmail.com

He's in W.Springfield MA.

Soooo..... I took my car into Busam Subaru here in Cincinnati last week for 2 wheel bearings (FR and LR) and a bad driver's side header gasket. Here's how the phone call went while notifying me the car is ready for pickup: "Yeah, we fixed two wheel bearings and went ahead and replaced the header gasket, but, uh... pause... you have two giant leaks in your exhaust right before the mufflers..." I almost laughed out loud and then proceeded to explain that they were "intentional" to let out some of that glorious boxer rumble. He didn't seem to get it. I'm sure the mechanics were digging it :-)

LOL I brought mine in for the service bulletin re-flash and to check my TPMS system and they didn't say a word about it, but I'm sure they enjoyed the sound, over all the other quite cars they get in there. TPMS is still f-ed up though... idiots.

I may head out to a tuning shop one day, but right now I need to get the maintenance in order before I try to make MORE power... LOL :) I'm also thinking about going open source so I may try to get a Tactrix cable before I do anything anyways.

Soooo..... I took my car into Busam Subaru here in Cincinnati last week for 2 wheel bearings (FR and LR) and a bad driver's side header gasket. Here's how the phone call went while notifying me the car is ready for pickup: "Yeah, we fixed two wheel bearings and went ahead and replaced the header gasket, but, uh... pause... you have two giant leaks in your exhaust right before the mufflers..." I almost laughed out loud and then proceeded to explain that they were "intentional" to let out some of that glorious boxer rumble. He didn't seem to get it. I'm sure the mechanics were digging it :-)

If you like the exhaust with the leaks, just finish removing the muffles and drive the car. I did that and never put mine back on. That was about 5 weeks ago.