LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

I took out the gasket when I went to stage 2. I have done close inspection and it seems like the space provided by the washers has been little clogged

by mixture of rust, dust and etc. Can this cause the exhaust leak sound since the air now come out on random areas instead of 360 degrees?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took out the gasket when I went to stage 2. I have done close inspection and it seems like the space provided by the washers has been little clogged

by mixture of rust, dust and etc. Can this cause the exhaust leak sound since the air now come out on random areas instead of 360 degrees?

well you have to remember that the exhaust fumes were at one pont a liquid, and so their is *some* density to the gas(thats why you cough) so the exhaust fumes and the liquid that comes out will come out in specific points...for example in my video you can see the fumes come out (with the liquid) by the bottom om the exhaust flange...>

if you look at my video the liquid is spirting out by the bottom area(1 inch move) of the muffler where the camera is positioned(go to youtube and type in luftarzotit1, and you'll see what I mean....hope this helps)

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

well you have to remember that the exhaust fumes were at one pont a liquid, and so their is *some* density to the gas(thats why you cough)

so the exhaust fumes and the liquid that comes out will come out in specific points...for example in my video you can see the fumes come out (with the liquid) by the bottom om the exhaust flange...>

if you look at my video the liquid is spirting out by the bottom area(1 inch move) of the muffler where the camera is positioned(go to youtube and type in luftarzotit1, and you'll see what I mean....hope this helps)

I believe that , if not rusted or blocked, at idle the exhaust fume should be able to come out 360 degrees while some liquid form drops from the bottom.

Like when you first take of the gasket and throw in two washers, there is a open space through out the flange evenly. However, as time goes by this

space is blocked by mixture of rust and dust which might cause the sound of exhaust leak? I always wonder what factor differentiate the sound quality

between "hogzawst" and the "exhaust leak from other cars". They are both exhaust leak while one sounds much better than the others. Sadly, this factor

on my hogzawst stage 2 is now somewhat gone and its slowly turning into "exhaust leak from other cars".

I believe that , if not rusted or blocked, at idle the exhaust fume should be able to come out 360 degrees while some liquid form drops from the bottom.

Like when you first take of the gasket and throw in two washers, there is a open space through out the flange evenly. However, as time goes by this

space is blocked by mixture of rust and dust which might cause the sound of exhaust leak? I always wonder what factor differentiate the sound quality

between "hogzawst" and the "exhaust leak from other cars". They are both exhaust leak while one sounds much better than the others. Sadly, this factor

on my hogzawst stage 2 is now somewhat gone and its slowly turning into "exhaust leak from other cars".

on quoting your *first line* remember, that during idle, the fumes are going to gently move through the gap anyway because theirs no pressure, the reason you get the leaking noise i believe you said(in some form) or in others cases the rumbling noise is because of the sounds being forced down a narrow way(exhaust tube) and the vibrations want to move out at first penetation so because of the vibrations (heavy vibrations)

the fumes are then forced to move out ( a little bit....not much) through the gap we've made(because of the pressure)....but remember physics laws....when pushing something thorugh a narrow opening the object(in this case gas) will take the easiest route.....imagine the gas being cars being forced down a major highway, then they have the choice to take either exits on either side or go straight......they're gonna want to escape the pressure early but doing so will cause a traffic jam.......

yea i took bio for a semester and physics played a big part in it for that semester..im still rusty though...and might be wrong( I don't thing I'm wrong though).......

and i just realized that I wrote a lot!....crap...sorry for those of you that hate long reading...hahaha

I've Crashed My ROFLChopper into a LOLCanOhttp://legacygt.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16939&dateline=1230531251

on quoting your *first line* remember, that during idle, the fumes are going to gently move through the gap anyway because theirs no pressure, the reason you get the leaking noise i believe you said(in some form) or in others cases the rumbling noise is because of the sounds being forced down a narrow way(exhaust tube) and the vibrations want to move out at first penetation so because of the vibrations (heavy vibrations)

the fumes are then forced to move out ( a little bit....not much) through the gap we've made(because of the pressure)....but remember physics laws....when pushing something thorugh a narrow opening the object(in this case gas) will take the easiest route.....imagine the gas being cars being forced down a major highway, then they have the choice to take either exits on either side or go straight......they're gonna want to escape the pressure early but doing so will cause a traffic jam.......

yea i took bio for a semester and physics played a big part in it for that semester..im still rusty though...and might be wrong( I don't thing I'm wrong though).......

and i just realized that I wrote a lot!....crap...sorry for those of you that hate long reading...hahaha

Your post is nowhere close being "long" reading :lol:. So what would you suggest me to do to make the exhaust note sound like what it's supposed to (deep and nice rumble)?

Your post is nowhere close being "long" reading :lol:. So what would you suggest me to do to make the exhaust note sound like what it's supposed to (deep and nice rumble)?

I don't want to tell you anything that would 'screw' anything up..I just don't wanna be liable for anything anymore hahaha:lol:

Let me think...hmmm?:confused:

I am sorry to say that I'm am stumped...if I was there in person it would be a completely different story..but....

If your one of those guys that don't mind working on a car I would recommend you to look at the exhaust flange, and see if it is uneven, and if it is then scrub my friend, scrub. Scrub until its new(hahahaha).:lol:

Cuz Hogmeat is correct about the whole reed* effect,

But even if you took them(gaskets) off their might be some uneven surface(from wear and rusting) that might be clogging the gap a little too much.....(cuz on my flange the gaskets were literally rusted on like no other, unless I scrubbed for hours which I will have to do soon so that I can actually get the full effect...cuz the sound you heard on youtube isn't the full effect, because I still have the gaskets on their.

Noise and pressure followed up by a small opening will result in weird sounds, possibly like the ones you are experiencing

******P.S.******* If you give me a couple of days, i mean if your not in any worry hurry or anything either i can figure something out for you..hopefully, and ask hogmeat, maybe he ran into this issue(as you can tell I love exploring my car....like a girl on the first date) : D

I would like to scrub it too but the bolts are real tight and is impossible for my flex to unbolt them even with spraying stuff that makes the process easier.

This might be off topic but those anyone has a little uneven exhaust from the factory? My exhausts seem to hang in different height. Talked to the dealer

and their reponse is that there is nothing they can do because the exhaust was made like this in factory. While I was skeptical about that, as I see more

legacies on the road, I kinda believe them since many legacies I saw tend to have more or less uneveness.

Hey guys I'm back with two more videos....

First is a muffler delete on my legacy gt, and second...welll, God never said you can't be curious... so I went to stage "2.5" if you wanna call it that.....

I used the same old washers I had on their first, and then I found these thin washers that my old man wasn't gonna use so I went ahead and upgraded a "half click"........both sound alright, it was a little cold today and the wind was acting up a little.......check em out!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfUkZPaMDkQ]YouTube - '06 Subaru Legacy GT Muffler Delete[/ame] - Muffler Delete

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozsjRG7Vx5s]YouTube - HogZaust "2.5!"[/ame] - HogZaust "2.5" Upgrade....not too loud, sounds great

Probably been covered in here somewhere, but I don't feel like looking :lol:

I helped a guy change out the stock cans for some aftermarket ones. He had the Hog-zawast upgrade for awhile...

Due to the extra heat and condensation, the flanges looked as if they had been in the Northeast winters (with salt) for about 8 years...

The bolts had completely seized on one side. It took an extractor to remove them, after copious amounts of PB Blaster. A plasma torch would have been easier :lol:

Just a public service announcement to let you know that letting exhaust out where it isn't meant to come out can be detrimental... ;)

:spin:

Probably been covered in here somewhere, but I don't feel like looking :lol:

I helped a guy change out the stock cans for some aftermarket ones. He had the Hog-zawast upgrade for awhile...

Due to the extra heat and condensation, the flanges looked as if they had been in the Northeast winters (with salt) for about 8 years...

The bolts had completely seized on one side. It took an extractor to remove them, after copious amounts of PB Blaster. A plasma torch would have been easier :lol:

Just a public service announcement to let you know that letting exhaust out where it isn't meant to come out can be detrimental... ;)

Thanks.. But, that's what the angle grinder is for (and a new set of bolts).. :-)

HV

So how many of you removed your gasket and how many just left it on and added washers. Sadn & happy to say my dad is bringing my tools and socket set up to school tomarrow and I think im going to spend some time in the parking lot here on wednesday afternoon. Going to Install my AVO filter, do a hogzaust, and if I have time clear my headlights. I think with the silver car and chrome headlights they will look SOOOOO much better without the amber plastic in them...

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/fiidgett2/2bfbb5e9.jpg

Thanks.. But, that's what the angle grinder is for (and a new set of bolts).. :-)

HV

Does the angle grinder take care of the fact that almost 50% of the flange material on the cans and the y-pipe was rusted to oblivion, and the area above the hole in the exhaust had blackened and rusted also :lol:
:spin:

hmmm...cost of new flanges in 5 years? minimal... Amortized cost of new mufflers now? $1,000.

Plus, mine have been on for 2 years almost, and I can still take them on/off no problem. No idea why you guys have problems. I'm even using stock hardware, in Iowa. Could be I don't drive that much...

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Hey guys I'm back with two more videos....

Holy crap dude, you are New Yorkian...the accent...OMGLOL. Just sounds so strange to a mid-westerner like me. I like it though. Makes you sound mafia-tough.

By the way, the deletes have been done too...I bought some off someone who bought them from someone else who bought them from someone else who bought them from someone else...and then I sold them to someone else.

They were just pipes with tips on them. Very slick - but very very loud. Too loud to be your everyday car. Maybe the fun track/cruise car...but too loud.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Holy crap dude, you are New Yorkian...the accent...OMGLOL. Just sounds so strange to a mid-westerner like me. I like it though. Makes you sound mafia-tough.

By the way, the deletes have been done too...I bought some off someone who bought them from someone else who bought them from someone else who bought them from someone else...and then I sold them to someone else.

They were just pipes with tips on them. Very slick - but very very loud. Too loud to be your everyday car. Maybe the fun track/cruise car...but too loud.

HAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I am happy to know that you like my new york accent, hahahaha:lol:....yea i didn't know if anyone put the muffler delete on youtube, cuz i spent a little time looking for the lgt muff. delete, but only found mustangs and such......

hahaha but yea, thanks for the compliment

Does the angle grinder take care of the fact that almost 50% of the flange material on the cans and the y-pipe was rusted to oblivion, and the area above the hole in the exhaust had blackened and rusted also :lol:

Nah, that's what living in CA is for, so you never get the rust in the first place :lol:

I'm constantly amazed at how clean my engine bay is, 3 years 45K miles in, compared to driving in Ontario (Canada) for 15 years..

HV

Nah, that's what living in CA is for, so you never get the rust in the first place :lol:

I'm constantly amazed at how clean my engine bay is, 3 years 45K miles in, compared to driving in Ontario (Canada) for 15 years..

HV

I am drving in ontario and it's like driving on salt it self. Rusting my exhaust like crazy within 1 year.

I am drving in ontario and it's like driving on salt it self. Rusting my exhaust like crazy within 1 year.

HAHAHAHA, New York is lamost as bad, you guys gave seen my videos.....yea thats all after 2 and a half years now...going for three in june

Here's a video of the hogzaust system on my 08 outback. My camera is a bummer, and it didn't pick up that low end rumble that we love, but it still sounds fantastic in person.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igghpOo1Lds]YouTube - Hogzaust on 08 Outback XT[/ame]