LegacyGT.com

LGT average numbers against competition

2006 VW Passat 3.6L automatic

14.3 sec @ 101

2006 Toyota Camry V6 automatic

14.6 @ 97.3

2007 Altima is gaining 10HP (actually more like "20" because of switch to SAE standard) and 55 pounds. Should be equal if not a tenth or two faster in the 1/4, low 14s at near 100mph.

2006 Accord Sedan V6 manual

14.3 @ 96

Fusion and Mazda6 are getting a 250HP-265HP 3.5L V6 for 2007 model year

Hmm, Legacy GT is going to be average in terms of acceleration, and that's with a manual transmission and a fairly aggressive AWD launch to boot. Time for Subaru to free up another 20HP or so. 243HP isn't going to cut it with the competition, especially when it comes to passing power.

-B

It was better in 2005 when the GT's competition in acceleration was, for example a G35. That was nice to know.

But a VW Passat / Camry? Please, I don't need some 16 year old in his mom's car looking to rev at me at the light because he read some specs in the latest Car and Driver.

And Beaner is right... 243HP isn't going to cut it anymore going into 07 / 08 models soon.

A 300HP V6 is going to become the norm for a fully-loaded

Family sedan.

2006 VW Passat 3.6L automatic

14.3 sec @ 101

2006 Toyota Camry V6 automatic

14.6 @ 97.3

2007 Altima is gaining 10HP (actually more like "20" because of switch to SAE standard) and 55 pounds. Should be equal if not a tenth or two faster in the 1/4, low 14s at near 100mph.

2006 Accord Sedan V6 manual

14.3 @ 96

Fusion and Mazda6 are getting a 250HP-265HP 3.5L V6 for 2007 model year

Hmm, Legacy GT is going to be average in terms of acceleration, and that's with a manual transmission and a fairly aggressive AWD launch to boot. Time for Subaru to free up another 20HP or so. 243HP isn't going to cut it with the competition, especially when it comes to passing power.

-B

That's why we thank Cobb for the AP ;)

Keefe

While I'm sure most of the sedans aren't going to be as fast as the LGT to 60 (probably close to 6 seconds) the additional power and lack of AWD drivetrain loss has them really pulling the latter half of the 1/4 mile.

And remember that both the Passat and Camry are automatics... No need for a great 4K clutch slip and perfect shifting to get those times. Probably a little torque braking and away you go!

Direct injection For The Win! Direct injection especially helps with turbo applications...

Subaru could increase power, increase drivability (more power off-boost thanks to higher compression) lower emissions, and improve fuel economy across their turbo line. For the STI, they could concentrate purely on boosting power.

A Mazda 6 wagon, with 265 hp and 6MT ?

If Subaru don't offer a wagon with a stick in '08 I will be visiting my local mazda dealer.

nice..what kind of glue do you recommend i use to stick subie bumbers on that hideous thing?

TGFC - Thank God for Cobb :) I wouldn't want to be beaten by a V6 Camry.

Yeah... but I guess what some of us are getting at is that we Shouldn't have to rely on a $1000.00 aftermarket (potentially warranty-voiding) performance solution to get respectable power out of the Legacy so it will out-perform the next-gen Stock Camry and or Passat.

Subaru should be reacting to the competition and getting the car inline with the performance sedans it wants to be compared to...

Just think, when the new Mazda 6 wagon comes out with 265HP, what'll the Mazdaspeed variation come out with? 300+ for sure. Not that I care, but a lot of people really base decisions on those posted numbers.

For most of the North American "Road and Track / Car and Driver"- reading population, it is all about on-paper performance numbers.

If anyone disagrees, we just need to be reminded of the STi vs EVO release a few years back:

EVO comes out, sporting 287HP and it's the king of the hill for a while.

Then the STi comes out with 300HP and takes all the wind out of the EVO's sails, thanks to articles from above magazines, and public perception.

I would think that a lot of people will read about the new RAV-4's power rating and compare it with the Forrester XT. We all know the Forrester will kick it's butt and is a much cooler hauler to drive, but it makes the RAV-4 much more inticing to the masses. No?

It's all about one-upping the competition, and if Subaru doesn't do this with their cars other than the STi, we'll fall off the path.

OK i agree that ALL of the competition is stepping up there game......but when does a 14.1 1/4 beat a 13.4 1/4?

Those cars are about the same as a stock 5eat & yes I agree SOA better step up now......or they will be playing catch up;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

nice..what kind of glue do you recommend i use to stick subie bumbers on that hideous thing?

Not sure that I understand you correctly, are you saying that the Mazda 6 wagon is ugly ??

You would be the first person I ever heard say that, almost everyone I know thinks it is as sexy, if not more so than the LGT wagon.

I'm more impressed with the 14.3 Accord V-6.

That's a car that has an reputation for extreme reliability, and those numbers aren't bad. Additionally, I'd suspect a fair amount of aftermarket tuning accessories to be availible for it, although it would never have the same aftermarket potential as a turbo car like ours.

We've been holding off on buying a new car for the wife. Was leaning toward the Altima 3.5, but maybe this V-6 Accord deserves a look.

Archived