LegacyGT.com

LED tails 2

sathiele

The ones on the TSX in those pics looked like crap.

there haven't been any pictures on the TSX, it hasn't been done yet. only one acurazine user's photoshop, and that doesn't mean a thing (though I actually happened to think the 4 circles looked great).

I agree that some can look bad. Like aftermarket kits that have LEDs and very cleared-out lenses. What I mean by OEM-looking is the same factory lens or cover or whatever. And a simple, conservative pattern.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: $100? no way....people wont retro these for $100, look for more 300ish just because its less than 100$ in materials dont mean anything.

if you have opened headlights before, than great, that was easy huh?

tails are a lot harder. anyone that has ever tried will tell you that. on top of that, the boards and things still need to be tried and tested, before people jump all over it

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

The durability, longevity, reliability, and faster response-time of LEDs are all very good reasons why this modification, no matter what it "might look like," is absolutely NOT rice.

One of the only reasons why I like my factory spoiler - and the one on my wifey's Rex - is that it incorporates an LED brake-light bar. And I specifically appreciate it for the reasons above.

Certainly, it's looks - and that of the final product which may make its appearance here on LGT.com - could be appealing to some and totally distasteful to others, but there are definite "performance" advantages to be had. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I definately want them for the advantages over standard bulbs, but I definately want them for looks also. They don't count as rice in my opinion, as they(hopefully) will be tastefully done. I have attached a pic I drew up in class about a wk ago...who knew this would happen? LOL. I believe that if the tail lights that come about look like the ones I drew, it would be pretty neat. If you guys like the look, I might even send the pic into the guys who will be making these.:icon_bigg

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5774/ledtails4pn.th.jpg

Focus on the tail lights guys! :lol:

You guys love bustin' a guys balls huH? Regarding the comment about I should send it in to SOA b/c they need designers...that's my ambition..to work for a car company as a designer. Maybe I can get a job at SoA and turn their design around..kick Zap to the curve.:lol:

I love the way these LEDS look on that forum. Can't be too hard to retrofit to our Leggys. :)

If I stand behind my wagon and have my wife hit the brakes you can definately see how quicker the led center light ignites compared to the tails. Defn not rice!

The flashing taillight technology has been used by Peogeut (sp?) and Citroen in France for a few years now. You can buy something like it here and other places on the web http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

I pulse my brakes three times before a major slow down, if I can, already. I know a flashing light is more attention getting than a solid one... So, I think the Mercedes Benz idea is a good one. As long as blinking brake lights don't become too common, in which case it will lose it's edge.

BMW also has adaptive headlights, where as brake pressure increases, more lights come on, brighter.

I like LED flashing indicators, too. in a clear housing, they provide a "digital" (on or off, no ramp-up/down) indicator that changes color. (white/chrome to amber or red.) all of which is a fast attention getter.

I like the idea of LED tails for the LGT, but I do wish there were actual OE or OE-quality parts.

I still think that something along the lines of the JDM Sedan tails (or wagon tails...) Upper red section having indirect LED reflectors like the current toyota prius, for brake lights. 65% intensity at first, up to 100% as brake line pressure increases. Perhaps an intermittent flash at the limit.

Center clear section, like JDM, but with clear-off LEDs. amber 3x3 array or directional chevron outboard, white 3x3 array inboard for reverse (or halogen and lense, if LEDs can't meet SAE regs...)

Lower red section would be cool if it could be 4-stacked horizontal acrylic rods, lit red by LEDs, like the E39 BMW, but that might be a bit too much of a rip-off. Otherwise just a direct-firing LEDs. Used for tail lights. It could have a small section near the corner of the trunk lid that lights brighter for the rear fogs, too. The whole thing could get brighter as brake pressure approaches maximum, or ABS starts to engage, adding to the dynamic brake lights.

All wrapped up in a purpose-designed housing for LEDs, sans the outer chrome-y ring. (just the center section should be left clear, the rest should be red, all the way to the bodywork. I am getting tremendously bored with completely clear tail lights. The fad has grown old.)

I liked the LM Retrofits (original subject of this thread...) idea of LED retrofitting in the console and instrument lighting. I like the Legacy's EL gauges, but the rest of the console lit with red or white LEDs would be cool. (along with the Tribeca's three-LCD-Dial ACC in the Legacy/OB console... Come-on Subaru, you know that is a good idea.)

There are rumors that the 07 Legacy gets LED interior lighting... I guess we'll see where that goes...

My opinion is, most every factory LED tailight looks sweet, so hopefully these will too. As for the safety feature of blinking..bad idea, too many people tap their brakes repeatedly when stopping, even if its a gradual slow down, in a few years we will grow accustomed to it and ignore it. We need an Oh shit brake light, somewhere by itself, and it only comes on under hard braking. Of course it would have to be the same for every car so everyone knew what it was. My .02 Best of luck on the tails, i'm more than interested to see how these turn out.

One disadvantage of LED tails in the winter are when there is snow on the road that flies up and sticks to the back of the car. Normal incandesent lights give off enough heat to melt the snow, LED's don't! I have noticed this problem on caddys alot. You can't see the lights at all if the back of the car is covered with snow. I personaly like the look and they do react alot faster, maybe we need heated tail lights. LOL!http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Smile

Archived