LegacyGT.com

LED tails 2

sathiele

Little update.. I had an extra cluster from another project lying around so I decided to try it since it is just a rectangle matrix.

This is a good example of how the lens is not completely clear. The lines that run across it refract the light differently.

<pic>

This photo is allowing less light in the lens so you can see the individual LEDs. You can see how positioning them is a problem. Maybe line the circuit board up with the lines so where the lines are it skips a row

<pic>

Anyways.. these LEDs are not even red, they are amber and not as bright as what I usually use. This was just an example of what I am talking about.

dmiller, that's an awesome look! I definitely like the look of the horizontal / parallel LEDs on these tail lights much better than the round ones. I agree that once you get them spaced just right, you'll have a winner... I'd definitely be a buyer!

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks pretty good, I dont wanna dis the project but I was hoping it would be alittle more.. I dunno. complete, I know you've experiencd some rough sailing so far with it, I'll try and keep up with this cos it does look good, I just dont want it to look like a rectangle of dots in an incandescent housing ya know? great work but I'm not 100% sure if I'd buy em or not, hafta see the finished product
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Ok I soldered a few red together to put behind the red lens for some more testing.

LEDs outside the taillight housing so you can see the pattern

http://www.hidplanet.com/dmiller/Subaru%20B4/Test01.jpg

LEDs inside the taillight housing, notice the change in the pattern

http://www.hidplanet.com/dmiller/Subaru%20B4/Test04.jpg

Distance picture

http://www.hidplanet.com/dmiller/Subaru%20B4/Test02.jpg

Close picture

http://www.hidplanet.com/dmiller/Subaru%20B4/Test03.jpg

Hey, you have the same bed and night stand that I have! IKEA ROCKS!!

You can really tell with those last two pictures that not a lot of the light is leaving the lense. So how do you fix that? You wouldn't happen to have a before... how the bulb lights up, so we can compare that to how the LED lights up?

^^ Oh well yea but this is just a test. In reality I would double the LEDs and it will easily be enough. And yes there are some losses behind the lens, but mostly it scatters the light more. Look at the height and width of the light behind the lens.

^^ Clear plastic lens? The lens is clear. The inner lens is red. But the color of the lens has nothing to do with the scattered pattern. The lens is not simply a flat lens it has curves and special angles that cause strange refraction.

Not to mention that you cannot just replace the lens, there is no way to produce a custom lens in short runs.

Well these LEDs are rated at 3.5 lumens. Lumens is a different sort of measurement than MCD. Let me put it this way, these LEDs are 3-4 times brighter than any 5mm LED with a smiliar viewing angle that you can throw at it that runs at a common 20mA. They have a large die and run at a higher current. Brightness is not an issue, I can guarantee that.

removing the lense would be nearly impossible because of the plastic weld, I once looked at the idea.. you know after clearing my headlights I got to looking at the tails and was all "HRMMMMM" but.. this thread has proven its really not practical.

work looks good still, you may not know its an LED from the already lit state, but when it lights and all, you will know. the immediate on/off is very prominent.

I dont have any pics, but does anyone have any pics of the acura TL's tails illuminated? I've spent many a red light staring at these grossly over priced yet really really nice cars tails wondering how they work. From the look of things it uses some sort of LED thats very large? almost 1/2" square from what I can tell. I dont know much about LEDs but I know most of the ones used in taillights and whatnot are far different from the ones on your computer case.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I use EXACTLY the same LED as the TL.. here is the example from my current car...

http://www.hidplanet.com/dmiller/3-11-06/15.jpg

The reason the TL LED looks large has to do with the dispersion that is due to the diffused lens, not the LED. As you can see, mine look extremely similar, if not identical to the size

yea, that looks good.. gimme dat :D

ya know I really think that model of prelude is probablly the best looking one they made. you dont see a whole lot of that body style on the road here.

ya know I really think that model of prelude is probablly the best looking one they made. you dont see a whole lot of that body style on the road here.

+1 I wonder why they discontinued them... that sure was a nice looking car.

^^ It's easy.. The prelude was the "luxury" honda. They had the CL for luxury, they had the integra for performance. Honda had the civic for economy/performance (SI). So it really had no chance on survival. But thanks guys I appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived