LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

my guess would just be color balancing. It appears the pic was taken by the light of the dome light, which is an incandescent bulb and would yield a yellow cast, but if the camera adjusts the color for white balancing (or if Phoenix did it) then the shift would be blue in nature and and the white gauges would look blue.

Or ... it could just be that our eyes adjust for a slightly blue cast anyway and we see the guages as white.

+1

It is color shifting...

i am placing my order from subaruparts.com (anyplace have them cheaper then $88.93?) after a LONG delay of wanting to do this.

Just to confirm, there is *NO* ill affects of leaving the shift control wires unconnected when the buttons are removed? The vacation pics seem to suggest that these buttons (the shift controls) are wired in series to the shift lever

have you put the car in 'manumatic' mode and used the radio controls? have you shifted manually with no trouble ??

ercdvs, I have yet to have any problems with cutting the shift button wires, and yes I have used the "manumatic" a lot and haven't had ANY problems what so ever. The only wires I cut were the shift button wires, the rest I used splice clips and braided wire.

________

FREE STREAMING XXX

Edited by mcsquish

• 4 weeks later...

For those people who want to connect the factory buttons to an after-market radio...

Here is what we know so far from the factory service manual:

MUTE - 22 Ohms

Volume + - 90 Ohms

Volume - - 200 Ohms

MODE - 360 Ohms

Seek + - 690 Ohms

Seek - - 1500 Ohms

Nominal - 4700 Ohms

Attached is the schematic for the "satellite switches" from the 2005 Legacy wiring diagrams. With this and the above table (and some math) it should be possible to figure out the individual resistor values.

Legacy2005satwoof.thumb.jpg.cf8df3e54ce85726f8a69c8192f9de61.jpg

See more info in this thread: Stock head unit information -- pin-outs, subwoofer, aux inputs, and more

EDIT: Hmm... the schematic shows a power button that would result in 0 ohms, and no mute button. So there must be a slightly different schematic for the above resistance table. I'll bet it's very similar, though.

Step 10.

The white connector near the yellow airbag connector near the steering column, has 8 wires feeding it from the roll connector, coming out the other side on MT cars are only a few wires and several empty holes (AT cars will have the wires coming out for the shift controls).

Plug layout (on the side facing away from the roll connector plug):

1 *.* 2 3

4 5 6 7 8

Are these 8-pin connectors behind the steering wheel exactly the same as on the Subaru under-seat subwoofer and its harness (below)?

subwoofplug.jpg.58a53b4a66c6d50e37e88b8de49d0f7b.jpg

If so, I can provide a male/female pair that will permit installation without cutting the factory wires. E-mail me if interested.

Also, if this is the same plug, the pin numbers actually run in the opposite direction (swap 1 and 3, and reverse the order of 4-8).

EDIT: After closer examination of trabbic's pictures, I can tell that the subwoofer's connector is different. But if the contact pins are the same, I could at least provide 6" wires with pins already crimped on. That would help for MT cars (and any others where you want to add a wire to slots that were empty)

I keep forgetting to update this thread with one more reason I love my steering wheel controls ...

It's winter ... So now that I'm wearing gloves in the car again, this is MUCH easier to use to control the volume. :D

my guess would just be color balancing. It appears the pic was taken by the light of the dome light, which is an incandescent bulb and would yield a yellow cast, but if the camera adjusts the color for white balancing (or if Phoenix did it) then the shift would be blue in nature and and the white gauges would look blue.

The lighting was from the map lights for those pictures I believe. As you said, the incandescent bulbs put out a different color temperature than the electroluminescent gauges. White balancing for the incandescent-lit colors results in the correct look for most of the picture, but the gauges do show up more blue than they actually are.

If I had white balanced for the gauges, this is what would happen:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/115923824-O.jpg

Now, through the miracle of masking, we can get this:

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/115923837-O.jpg

On an on topic note, I drove a rental Chevy Cobalt the other day, with a full complement of steering wheel audio controls. And yet SoA couldn't see fit to include them on a $29,000 car. :mad:

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

• 3 weeks later...

Big time props to Trabbic and Brady. I got the steering wheel replaced today. Quick phone call to Brady to check my sanity, and it works. I was a bit thrown by the fact that I've got the sub installed, so I needed to use the most rear-ward wiring block.

The roll connector isn't a big deal. Just don't let it rotate when you swap wheels. I was able to keep it in position with one hand, and use the other for the wheel swap.

Also, I found a T-30 bit on a socket at Home Despot. Made airbag removal a snap. I couldn't make it budge with a T-30 driver. Weak hands of a guitar player.

Some things to buy beforehand to make this really easy

T-30 Torx bit on a socket ($4.00)

17mm socket ($4.00)

5 inch socket extension ($8.00)

Qty 8 - Tap Splices #18-#22 AWG

3 feet - 4 conductor solid core hookup wire #22AWG

Skip pushing the wire into the blocks and just use the tap splices. It is far more secure and much easier (I think). It is much easier to work on the wiring below the steering column by pulling the wire bundle loose from the tie down. Cut the black band after you get it down, then re-use it with a tie wrap when you put it back up.

You might as well get Jazzy's mod for aux in and do it at the same time. You'll have the radio mostly in your hands, just spend the extra 30 minutes and drop in the aux board.

It is a really cool mod! Why couldn't SOA just do this on the GT LTD?

Thanks again guys!

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Glad it all worked out for you!

Sorry I was confused when you called! If you said you were from LGT.com to begin with my skepticism would have been gone ... Thought you were a telemarketer or something! :lol:

Glad it all worked out for you!

Sorry I was confused when you called! If you said you were from LGT.com to begin with my skepticism would have been gone ... Thought you were a telemarketer or something! :lol:

That's OK, just as I called, my son wanted me and the wife walked into the garage want to talk to me too. I was lucky at the point of interruptions I could remember my name :lol:

Thanks again for the sanity check!

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

No, I just got the eye-roll :icon_roll She doesn't ask anymore after she found me installing the boost gauge about 2 months after I got the car (brand new). I was hoping to finish before she got home from work, but that didn't happen. So she found me again with the bowels of the interior ripped out and radio on the work island in the kitchen.

It was my neighbor that stopped by when I had the garage door open that asked "what are you doing to your new car?"

I think I need that 12-step program. Must not mod wife's FXT, Must not mod wife's FXT.

Did your wife ask "what the hell are you doing to the car now?"

Even my co-workers ask me that :lol:

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Hey guys, i know this is off-topic but is there anyone on here willing to sell me there stock momo steering wheel for $10 shipped? Just pm me.

:eek:

You do realize that those wheels have a list price of $347.58 right?

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I'm betting shipping probably hits $10.

Maybe it was a typo, and he meant $100..

HV

I should hope so, I sold mine for $175 shipped (granted, I shipped to Canada, so the extra headache clearing customs to my recipient was worth at least an extra $25 ... I think $150 shipped is still a great price!)