LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

Ok...I double checked everything today. All plugs were plugged in and tight (air bag, roll connector, etc...). Never touched any yellow wires because I know yellow=air bag.

Fuses are fine and none blown (check 2 of them that I could find) unless there are others.

So, I wonder what the dealer will do??

Don't say anything about the wheel. There's a good chance they won't know the difference anyway.

Do the controls work properly? Horn?

Did you try putting the old wheel back for comparison?

mvigneau, that sounds weird with what is going on. My illumanation works just like the rest of the the car, and I never had any new dash lights come on. I did cut the two wires like in the directions though. If I understand that you did not. Let me know what you find out. The last time I took my car in, no one noticed the switch.

________

STOCK PICKS

Edited by mcsquish

OK, I'm going to ask an off the wall question. I have an aftermarket nav/head unit (Avic-Z1), I can buy a PAC SWI-PS to connect the head unit to the steering wheel controls (theoretically, since they do not show a Subaru anything as being on their supported vehicle list). On the installation directions, there are 3 wires that you physically hook up. A red (switched +12v), a black (ground), and a third wire (either a white, yellow or orange wire) that hooks up to the steering wheel connection. I printed off the wiring diagram for the steering wheel controls and I see that there are 2 connections (a purple/white for pin 7 and an Orange white for pin 6). Which of these connectors would I tap into from the PAC unit using a single wire?

I didn't cut the wires, but none of those wires should be connected to the airbags because they don't use the yellow(std airbag) connector color.

I may cut the other wires just so I can have full control of illumination, but haven't decided yet because during the day, you can't even see them on unless you cup your hand around it to block out the light.

Ok...

I have figured out what the problem was on mine. The actual roll connector wires got disconnected. There was no connection between the radio buttons and the white connector under the steering column. DEAD DEAD DEAD.

This is why the airbag light was on. So I took off the roll connector and took it apart and noticed that the crimp wire was disconnected!

Unable to reconnect and get the roll connector back on, I have ordered a new roll connector (PN 83116AG02A - $60).

We figure that the problem that happened was last time we had the steering wheel off, the roll connector moved and when we turned it back, we turned it the wrong way and while driving, it sliced the ribbon connector that is in the roll connector.

Anyways...when you take off your steering wheel -

[highlight]DO NOT MOVE THE ROLL CONNECTOR [/highlight]- LEAVE AS IS...It has a limited number of turns and with the wheel off, it will turn indefinitely!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...so I received the new Roll Connector...and installed everything back together.

When I tested, steering wheel controls WORKED and...............

NO AIR BAG LIGHT :)

YEAH...anyways...I took a picture of the broken roll connector for those that don't know what one looks like dismantled :) Noticed the severed connections which is why the air bag light was on as well as no more working steering wheel controls.

IMG_1052.JPG.c222842096a13f854e736a3531f2fbf1.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG.6a241534d4f0b0e34754fb7bcc753a56.JPG

IMG_1054.JPG.f040e782c25377204cb78ab99fe965f4.JPG

Ok...so I received the new Roll Connector...and installed everything back together.

When I tested, steering wheel controls WORKED and...............

NO AIR BAG LIGHT :)

YEAH...anyways...I took a picture of the broken roll connector for those that don't know what one looks like dismantled :) Noticed the severed connections which is why the air bag light was on as well as no more working steering wheel controls.

Glad you got it figured out man!

• 4 weeks later...

trabbic,

Thanks for figuring out how to do this and for the fantastic write up and walk through.

I'd like to do this but have no experience with car stereos or electronics. Could you please post a picture of the wire connectors and "taps" you talk about using?

Thanks,

-Ian

trabbic,

Thanks for figuring out how to do this and for the fantastic write up and walk through.

I'd like to do this but have no experience with car stereos or electronics. Could you please post a picture of the wire connectors and "taps" you talk about using?

Thanks,

-Ian

Here is a picture of a wire tap. you want red ones however not yellow as in the link.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103312&cp=&fbn=Type%2FWire+Tap-ins&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FWire+Tap-ins&fbc=1&kw=wire+tap&parentPage=search

Go to your local hardware store (like true value, NOT Home depot) and they will have the 4 different color wire and red taps you need. Get about 4 feet of each color so you will have extra, and take your time, you should be fine. If you run into trouble post up and we will help you.

Oh yeah, to close the connection of the wire tap you have to push that metal piece down so it cuts the insulation, the best way to do this is with a nice set of pliers, NOT your hands. (learned the hard way the first time I used them ;))

Here is a picture of a wire tap. you want red ones however not yellow as in the link.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103312&cp=&fbn=Type%2FWire+Tap-ins&f=PAD%2FProduct+Type%2FWire+Tap-ins&fbc=1&kw=wire+tap&parentPage=search

Go to your local hardware store (like true value, NOT Home depot) and they will have the 4 different color wire and red taps you need. Get about 4 feet of each color so you will have extra, and take your time, you should be fine. If you run into trouble post up and we will help you.

Oh yeah, to close the connection of the wire tap you have to push that metal piece down so it cuts the insulation, the best way to do this is with a nice set of pliers, NOT your hands. (learned the hard way the first time I used them ;))

So do you skip the wire harness all together with these and just cut the wire you're trying to connect to then use this tap to connect the new wire?

See, I told you I'm clueless about this stuff! :lol: :lol: ;)

No clipping involved! The wheel side of the harness has all the wires (car side is missing them), put a tap on before that connector with a new wire. Route that to the radio wire harness and use another tap.

If you've got the factory sub use the 2nd connector further back.

No clipping involved! The wheel side of the harness has all the wires (car side is missing them), put a tap on before that connector with a new wire. Route that to the radio wire harness and use another tap.

If you've got the factory sub use the 2nd connector further back.

I think I'm getting this. So the tap goes on the steering wheel side of the harness on one end then on the radio side of the harness on the other end so you don't have to jam the wire into the holes on the harness?

I'm sure this is really frustrating for those of you who have done this kind of thing before. Thank you all for your patience! :D;)

No problem, all is good. We've all been there before. I think I have some photos showing where I put the wire taps on my home computer. When I get heck out of work, I'll see what I have and get them to you or post them.

________

Indica strains

Edited by mcsquish

I will be installing this weekend in someone else's vehicle and will try to remember to take pics.

Cool. It would be really helpful to see some pics of the roll connector and what to do to prevent your previous eff-up. I'd like to have a good picture in my mind of where it sits in relation to the steering wheel and how to prevent it from moving during the install process.

Sounds like this is the "riskiest" part of the installation, aside from forgetting to disconnect the battery and setting of the airbag in your face.

Looking forward to seeing the install pics.

I assume no one has needed a wheel puller yet?

I'm going to order my new steering wheel today.

TIA.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Are the gauges in the 06 models different than the 05's. It looks like your gauges have blue in them and mine are only red/white.

http://www.boxer6.com/photos/legacy/img_4950s.jpg

http://www.boxer6.com/photos/legacy/img_4953s.jpghttp://www.boxer6.com/photos/legacy/img_4954s.jpg

my guess would just be color balancing. It appears the pic was taken by the light of the dome light, which is an incandescent bulb and would yield a yellow cast, but if the camera adjusts the color for white balancing (or if Phoenix did it) then the shift would be blue in nature and and the white gauges would look blue.

Or ... it could just be that our eyes adjust for a slightly blue cast anyway and we see the guages as white.