LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

^ True - from your other research (page 16), it looks like there's precedent for just this type of thing....... Good call! :) Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

el5y, you are my freaking hero. I knew I had seen something like that, but didn't know where it was. I guess i'll order another roll connector - is there any secret to getting it off?

I would PM mvigneau and ask him as I've never done it. I don't think it would be too bad though..just make sure you had your wheel centered and the roll connector centered when you do replace it otherwise you'll have to do it again :(

Anyone by chance know how or has tried to switch the seek controllers from going through all the channels on the radio to being able to change between all my preset channels? I would rather have this option than seeking through every single radio station, just don't know if or how it can be done. Just got a Spec-B a few weeks ago, but not doing this mod anytime soon unless it's REALLY easy, it's too freaking cold in Chi to be working on a car outside.

If someone figures out what pressing those preset buttons does exactly (Ohms changes, etc on the head unit) I'm sure someone can figure out how to change the buttons to do that...Or maybe re-program the head unit itself... :( I just don't know how feasible it is to do that.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've looked over the 2005 wiring diagrams, and figured out a few things. First, the pins used on the "B68" harness:

Harness "B68" (white connector under steering column, near wheel)

Viewing contact pins on car's harness plug, wires pointed away from you:

1 --- 2 3
4 5 6 7 8

Viewing back of "B68" harness plug -- same orientation as picture below (or viewing pins side of socket that is wired to the clockspring / roll connector):

3 2 --- 1
8 7 6 5 4

B68.jpg.95dc83ccb8bfccf51977c0e251841906.jpg

(click for larger image)

The B68 harness in this picture only has wires for the horn and cruise control buttons. (It's a cropped and rotated version of Trabbic's from his post #7 in this same thread)

Common (wheels with shift, audio, or no buttons):

1  White          Cruise (Main Switch)
3  Red/White      Horn
4  Blue/Pink      Cruise (Cancel, Set/Coast, Resume/Accel resistor network)
5  Black/Blue     Ground

AT shift:

2  Violet/White   Shift Up
7  Blue           Shift Down
8  Black/Yellow   Ground

Audio SWCs:

2  Violet         Illum+
6  Orange/White   SWC–
7  Violet/White   SWC+
8  Black/White    Illum– (minus)

[Added:] I've attached a PDF with pages showing connections to the various controls in the steering wheel (pages taken from the 2005 Legacy wiring diagrams). Errors/omissions/notes:

• On the page with the audio SWCs, the diagram omits the STx connectors (ST1 and ST2 or ST4). I included the page after that, which shows a drawing of the 5-pin connector inside the wheel.
  • The "Satellite Switch" drawing erroneously labels the first button "POWER" instead of "MUTE," and is missing one more resistor from the ladder (pressing MUTE results in 22 ohms, not 0 ohms).
  • The Audio System diagram shows only 2 of the 28 wires on bulkhead harness i1/B36.
  • The page with the AT shift up/down buttons omits the label ST1 (B68 plugs into ST1).

On cars that have the audio SWC wires in the "i85" harness (8-pin, at the radio):

• The SWC wires go from i85 to harness "i1" (pins 5 and 6). Bulkhead harness "B36" connects to "i1".
  • B36 pins 5 (SWC+) and 6 (SWC–) go to harness B68 at the steering column.
  • B68 plugs into ST1 (which connects to the stationary side of the roll connector).

It's that second leg, from B36 to B68, which lacks the SWC wires on cars that have no audio buttons on the wheel.

So if your i85 harness has the SWC wires, another place to connect to them is the empty pin locations on B36.

If someone can post some good close-up pictures of i1 and B36, I may be able to find the correct pins to snap into B36. That would allow you to connect to the HU's SWC input by running new wires from B68 (at the steering column) to B36, instead of running all the way to the HU (and then having to tap into the SWC wires there).

You would still need to find the two illumination/dimmer wires, but there should be many of those right behind the dash (since they're used by every control that has a backlight).

2005 Legacy B68 clockspring SWCs.pdf

Edited by SVXdc
Added wiring diagrams PDF

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
So I tried this weekend on my 07 outback and they don't work. I do have illumination but the buttons do nothing. Really bumbed out. Can anyone provide a clean wiring diagram? Seems like alit if patch work with this thread. I have an 5eat!!!!

Is there an option to have the AT shifters AND the radio controls, or is it one or the other? Any pics?

One or the other unless my idea of adding 08-09 paddle shifters somehow works. Might require a new clockspring (where the paddle assembly mounts) but not sure.

I have a p-204UH

That model should work with SWCs (if connected properly).

did a search for vacation pix...al long list of posts came up...what am I missing?

You asked for a clean wiring diagram. Look for 2007 vacation pix (perhaps search in thread titles only).

Check your wiring -- unplug the 8-pin i85 plug from your HU and use an ohm meter to measure across the two SWC pins there. You should see the various resistor values when you push the SWC buttons. No power required (ignition key can be completely off).

rodger that. I will rip it apart again this weekend. I just wanted to try and make sure that I tapped into the proper wires on BOTH ends as the wires. The one that comes down the steering column is a bit different on the 5eat.

Anyone in the Los Angeles area do this to your 5eat P-204uh?

• 1 month later...

hey guys, I ended up ordering a set from 1stsubaruparts.com (hopfully they are a good site)

Anyways, I also ordered from sonic electronix a PAC SWI-PS adapter to go into my Avic X710bt stereo

So my question is, is there a way to hook all this up without splicing or cutting the stock wiring?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

So I have been MIA for some time, so sorry if I missed this question while I was reading the old posts.

So I finally looked at the 2010 models (I got married 11 months ago........) and saw that they have radio and cruse buttons on the steering wheel now. Does anyone know if those, more importantly the radio button set, work and fit the '05 steering wheel? The shape and size looks right, but wondered if anyone has tried it yet. I have already done this mod and love it, just thinking this might be better to have all of the buttons in one area.