LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

Great thread! I am a new 2.5i AT owner, and very interested to do this conversion. Has anybody here done this on a 2.5i? Trabbic mentioned it might need a new roll connector from GT. I checked and it seems 83116AG02A is for all models. Thanks for the help!

If it is in fact the same part number, then you should be good to go, that is if the stereo will accept the control inputs.

Thanks, Trabbic, for prompt answer. Have the wires been confirmed to be there?

Not that I know of, I replied to a PM from another 2.5i guy who wanted to do the controls, and told him to check, but have not heard back.

Why not pull the stereo and let us know once and for all, if the orange/white and purple/white are there, you should be good to go...

Not that I know of, I replied to a PM from another 2.5i guy who wanted to do the controls, and told him to check, but have not heard back.

Why not pull the stereo and let us know once and for all, if the orange/white and purple/white are there, you should be good to go...

Will do it and report back here. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Has anyone does this on an 07 lgt ltd with 5 auto? I am hoping I could meet up with someone in my area who has done this already to their cars with success! I would appreciate some expertise.

Thanks.

Hey did you ever get this done? I'm about to do it on my 07 LGT 5M and am curious if its the same procedure. This is gonna be a fun saturday..or sunday...depending on which day it rains.. :p

Eric

NO I never got it done. This is a little too much for me to do myself. I know I probably could do it but if I could not finish it my wife would not be too happy! I currently can not start my car tonight so I got a call into Road side. Man this car is a pain!

I finally did this today. trabbic the directions were great. I should have taken a few pictures while doing it cuz there are a few instances where I thought I picture might help but all in all it wasn't bad. Got a few questions though.

First: My airbag light is on now. I made sure the roll connector didn't move much after taking off the old wheel so could it be a loose wire or something? I haven't had a chance to take it back apart. I'm also due for my 1500 mile oil change so I was thinking of throwing the stock wheel back on for that and asking why the hell is my airbag light on? It doesn't take long for that part of the install.

EDIT: Just looked over the posts again and will check the fuse and take the wheel back out tomorrow to see.

Second: Does anyone know what this is? It was just hanging there bundled up underneath the stereo. It kinda looks like an optical wire like...optical in or out? or something for the head unit.

opticalinput.thumb.JPG.b46d69ab8455f6d0e56867b6a5bda86f.JPG

I finally did this today. trabbic the directions were great. I should have taken a few pictures while doing it cuz there are a few instances where I thought I picture might help but all in all it wasn't bad. Got a few questions though.

First: My airbag light is on now. I made sure the roll connector didn't move much after taking off the old wheel so could it be a loose wire or something? I haven't had a chance to take it back apart. I'm also due for my 1500 mile oil change so I was thinking of throwing the stock wheel back on for that and asking why the hell is my airbag light on? It doesn't take long for that part of the install.

EDIT: Just looked over the posts again and will check the fuse and take the wheel back out tomorrow to see.

Second: Does anyone know what this is? It was just hanging there bundled up underneath the stereo. It kinda looks like an optical wire like...optical in or out? or something for the head unit.

No idea what the connector is.

Double check the red/black orientation on the airbag connectors AND the green ground wire.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Heading out side now to check the connections. sebbery said that it looks like the connection for satellite radio...which leads me to believe that if it is an optical input then I could use it for the audio from my carputer....hmm.....

Eric

Note to Everyone: I'm an idiot. Make sure you push in those yellow tabs! :p

Eric

So just to clarify for other people, you did not push down the yellow tabs where the airbag connects to the steering wheel?

I have no idea what that connector is, but satellite radio wiring sounds right to me.

So just to clarify for other people, you did not push down the yellow tabs where the airbag connects to the steering wheel?

I have no idea what that connector is, but satellite radio wiring sounds right to me.

Correct, I plugged the airbag back in but I forgot to push in those yellow tabs. Thanks for the directions trabbic.

Eric

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, thanks for the great write-up trabbic. I couldn't have installed this in my Forester without your help.

Just in case anyone is interested, I have successfully installed the Spec.B steering wheel with stereo controls functioning with my Eclipse AVN5435 HU. I needed to use a PAC SWI-ECL (ECL for Eclipes, they have a bunch of others) to act as an interface between wheel and HU. It was very easy to program the interface. Info on products can be found here: http://www.pac-audio.com/

Does anyone have pics of the install with the 5eat having shift controls on one side and volume on the other? If I understand correctly, I would only need to purchase the new controls and not a whole new wheel, right?

I really want to do this mod. Anyone in SoCal that can help?

Now that's a good question. I never really thought about doing that? I'm not sure if you can, it would depend on the signals through which wire. Since I know more about brain surgery than Subie wiring someone else will have to chime in. I think that might be cool to have. I don't use the left stero buttons very often.

________

Video Reviews

Edited by mcsquish

Does anyone have pics of the install with the 5eat having shift controls on one side and volume on the other? If I understand correctly, I would only need to purchase the new controls and not a whole new wheel, right?

I really want to do this mod. Anyone in SoCal that can help?

There might be some complications, read through this thread, they have been discussed...

looks a like a sattalite radio reciever antenna conection (Sattalite radio / GPS)

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 2 weeks later...

So let me get this straight if i have a 05 legacy auto i can replace one side of the shifting controls and put the sound controls in or do i have to switch both??

And is there anyone in phoenix vincinty that has done this mod.. would love some help...