LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

thanks for the insight..

if i read and understood right, u're saying the buttons constantly send signal to the head unit, but only the strengths of the signal changes when i press steering control buttons.. ?

anyways.. im not sure how that will affect my project since im not that familar with electric stuff..

BTW, here is a link that i found regarding ipod remotes..

http://www.maushammer.com/systems/ipod-remote/ipod-remote.html

should definately check it out if u're interested in what i'm interested in..

looks like of the 8 wires coming out of my zune remote, 3 are for audio left, right & ground, and one is for the power to the remote..

of the 4 wires left, one could be another ground for the remote (not the audio), and violla~! i only 3 wires left! forward, reverse, play/pause!

anyone more knowledgable than i.. ??

• 3 weeks later...

Is the illumination connection related to the wiring for the cigarette lighter and ashtray somehow?

Here is why I ask.... I had this hooked up and all worked fine... one night I pulled the stereo and the button lights on the wheel stopped working... Great, I think, I must have messed with the wire on the stereo... Pull the console and I forgot to plug the lighter plug back in... Plug that in and it all works fine...

Works for a few weeks, plug in my cell phone one night and the lights on the steering wheel quit working... unplug it and shut the car off, still no workie... let the car sit for a few minutes, bingo, working again...

Seems odd to me, but also a little too much of a coincidence to not be related... does power on the ashtray/lighter light have any being on the illumination for the wheel as hooked up in this FAQ?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got to doing this mod. I was waiting for the Subaru Bucks to accumulate so I could afford the steering wheel.

Very sweet! Works like a charm. We'll see for how long though as I was planning on tapping into the wires on the steering column too but there is ZERO room up there. I got stranded wire too. I tried to twist the ends a bit so it wouldn't splay out too much. Oh well, we'll see how long it lasts.

Anyway, I wanted to confirm that the controls work great! Love it.

Also, I've got the iPod integration kit hooked up too and can confirm that when using it. The steering wheel controls will allow you to skip to the next track or go back a track. I didn't try holding them down to see if they would FF or Reverse in the current track playing.

Cheers!

-Ian

See? That wasn't so hard! Only took you 6 days!! ;):p

Yeah, yeah, yeah! :p

I kept forgetting my iPod when I drove somewhere.

scottybuckeye - You can get one from any dealer. The King of Parts probably has good prices. I got mine from http://www.subarugenuineparts.com as their about a mile away from me here in Washington. Oh yeah, I'm lovin' it!

Cheers!

-Ian

• 1 month later...

Im going to Try and do the swap on my 08' SE. On the 08's, the cruise is built into the wheel, with the Radio controls nicly packed on the lefthand side on the LGT Limited and 3.0r.

After loking this over I will go this route with my subie tech. Wish me luck. and yes, I will Take Lots of pics for those SE and Limited Guys out there. Should I start my own new thread once I start?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Got the buttons to replace my shifter ones. Will install but I need to know which are the color of the cables on the other side of the roll connector. I will use connectors to revert to stock if need be and would even try to make the paddle assembly work now that I have the cables there.

• 3 weeks later...
Got the buttons to replace my shifter ones. Will install but I need to know which are the color of the cables on the other side of the roll connector. I will use connectors to revert to stock if need be and would even try to make the paddle assembly work now that I have the cables there.

I think the answer to your question is in step 10:

...#’s 6 & 7 (the other side of those holes should have green with red stripe and white wires, heading up the column) then plug in the green stripe and black wires into holes 2 & 8 respectively. (The other sides of those holes are colored Sky Blue and Black with White Stripe)...

Cool!

I took off the airbag and plugged them in (without doing the wiring) and yes, they didn't work but the illumination turned on.

Maybe I can skip a wire or do I still have to plug in all 4 to the back of the radio?

Correction, I might have forgoten to cut the cables under the steering wheel column and the car don't shift while in D. I put it in SPORT and it behaves normal, push to shift up and it does but it won't shift down.

Got to get under there later and cut the two wires though I think it's mainly #7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Excellent write up helped me do the install this weekend. The only issue I have is that the backlighting on the steering wheel controls does not come on with the headlights on. I cant seem to find anything amiss. Is there a fuse that controls these specifically? Or which wire controls that? Any help would be appreciated.

Excellent write up helped me do the install this weekend. The only issue I have is that the backlighting on the steering wheel controls does not come on with the headlights on. I cant seem to find anything amiss. Is there a fuse that controls these specifically? Or which wire controls that? Any help would be appreciated.

From memory, there are 4-wires which run the steering wheel controls. 2 provide power for the backlighting, the other two act as a current loop for the controls. When you press one of the buttons on the steering wheel it as an associated resistance, the HU can detect the resulting current and knows what function is pressed.

My guess is that the wire pair for the backlight either has a bad connection or you missed wired it.

I'd start with

1) Triple checking that you actually connected the lighting pairs to the correct set of wires under the dash.

2) Use a voltmeter and check the continuity of the backlighting wires from the wheel down to the connection into the power.

3) If that looks OK, with the wheel off and airbag disconnect (!), turn the key to ACC, turn on the lights and check the voltage up at the wheel connector to see if you indeed have a voltage.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

• 2 weeks later...
So i did this mod and it worked great for about a day or two. While driving, i heard kind of a snap from the wheel, and my air bag light went on. Tested audio controls and horn - nothing. I'm guessing that little disc that spins behind the wheel (holds the plugs for the air bag, audio controls, etc) has a fault in it now. Really irritating. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to take a road trip this week without an airbag:eek:

^ I almost wonder if maybe one of the connectors to the roll connector just popped off?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

So i did this mod and it worked great for about a day or two. While driving, i heard kind of a snap from the wheel, and my air bag light went on. Tested audio controls and horn - nothing. I'm guessing that little disc that spins behind the wheel (holds the plugs for the air bag, audio controls, etc) has a fault in it now. Really irritating. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to take a road trip this week without an airbag:eek:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=765092&postcount=233

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=785183&postcount=234