LegacyGT.com

07 spec. B speculation

GT spec B and 3.0R Spec B overseas are not limited edition. They are full production models... perhaps with a bit less inventory... but they are listed in the trim configurations...

Spec B doesn't HAVE to be Limited Edition in the US... the question is... Will it be next year?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GT spec B and 3.0R Spec B overseas are not limited edition. They are full production models... perhaps with a bit less inventory... but they are listed in the trim configurations...

Spec B doesn't HAVE to be Limited Edition in the US... the question is... Will it be next year?

What do you men by "perhaps with a bit less inventory" ?

The only option I could buy from Subaru was metallic paint when I bought my spec B here in Euroland

I just thought that perhaps the 3.0R spec b is sold or is held in inventory with slightly fewer units available than other trim models, like the regular 3.0R.

I don't know that for sure, and perhaps the 3.0R spec B is more common than the regular 3.0R... you tell me...

But the euro/Aus/Japanese 3.0R spec B isn't limited to 500 units of one configuration, like the USDM 2.5GT Spec B is. That is my main point.

Being a noobie here, but wouldn't most of the major hardware on a WRX STI be essentially bolt in for a Legacy Spec B (making it sort of a Legacy STI but aimed more for grownups)? Seems like Subaru ought to go the full ten yards with the Spec B and drop in the 300hp motor, six speed drive train, Brembos, truly uprated suspension and shoes, and really kick open the competitive door to the performance AWD sedan market. Keep the styling reasonably subdued with just a few tasteful enhancements (leave the circus-come-to-town styling for the STI) and you would have a car that could really give M3s, S4s, C55s some pause, all for $10-20K less easily.

What's holding Subaru back? Afraid of rustling their competitions feathers? Didn't they learn anything from the run-away success of the WRX and STI on the Imprezza platform?

Is it just me or is this just an agonizingly obvious expansion of the Legacy platform rather than the timid current Spec B?

sebberry, yeah, agreed, I think a Turbo H6 would be most ideal for a Legacy for all the reasons you state. I was contemplating adapting existing STI bits mostly for expediency's sake than anything else. But a Porche'esque redline howl would be a definite step up the foodchain from the flat four staccato thrum.

Just seems like Subaru is sitting on soooo much parts bin potential and I just can't figure why they don't take better advantage of it. They really seem rather trepidatious inspite of the huge successess of the WRX/STI. They finally have a car that looks genuinely good rather than, errr, "different" (goofy) with class standard refinements. Now if they just make a full-court press forward with all the unique engineering attributes available to them, the skiy's the limit.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like the current LGT is bad, quite the opposite as it seems to be quite the unrecognized performance sedan sleeper, though the R&T article may let the cat of of the bag on that. I for one, despite being quite a car buff and even a former Subaru (DL) owner, totally had overlooked the LGT until that R&T article kicked me in the arse. Now I can't get over as to what an undiscovered performance car it is and boggle as to the huge potential this model has if SOA would show a bit of boldness.

Surely there's somone who can describe it better than me but Ill take a stab anyway.

Essentially your steering sensitivity varies. So if you were to jerk the wheel real hard to the right you wouldnt just completely swerve off the road. But when you need the sensitivity to vary and make a turn it does.

i know a lot of luxury cars have this feature however it's a bit different from what you described... Mercedes-Benz (for example) has a feature called SPS (Senstive Power Steering).. it's pretty much a valve on the Steering Rack that varies the amount of Power Steering Assist depending on your vehicle speed.. thus at lower speeds, where you need your Power Steering the most, it allows more into the steering system which makes the steering easier.. the higher speed you're driving, the less Power Assist you're going to get..

To confirm things even more (or make it worse, depending on how optimistic you are) The 07 Spec B will mos def be in Diamond Gray Metallic with a black and blue leather (Imagine a STi interior only all leather) Plus the 6speed is a 100% confirm. It WILL be even more limited then the 06 and no full production model. As far as more power, thats unknown. If there smart they would add more power to "keep up" with the mazdaspeed 6. I know all this because i'm a sales rep at a subaru dealer and our subi rep was in here last wednesday.

To confirm things even more (or make it worse, depending on how optimistic you are) The 07 Spec B will mos def be in Diamond Gray Metallic with a black and blue leather (Imagine a STi interior only all leather) Plus the 6speed is a 100% confirm. It WILL be even more limited then the 06 and no full production model. As far as more power, thats unknown. If there smart they would add more power to "keep up" with the mazdaspeed 6. I know all this because i'm a sales rep at a subaru dealer and our subi rep was in here last wednesday.

a little bird told me it's not all leather... it's black leather bolsters with blue alacantra inserts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The 6MT will very likely have the same pattern as the WRX. Reverse down to the right, with a lift ring to get there.

http://www.subaru.com/media/image/2006/impreza/accessories/C1010FE100.jpg

Official Subaru accessory decal for 6MT pattern.

Black leather and blue alcantara interior with seat heaters and coolers (as already rumored) with the 6MT, folding rear seats, MP3 input, Bluetooth, optional HIDS, and the works sounds real good. On any color besides FRAKKING GRAY!

It would be GREAT in Regal Blue Pearl. Or white. Or even black. The 06 Brick red might even look good in Garnet Red Pearl. but no. It has to be damn gray. Do I dare ask if anyone else cares about the color of their new cars?

Has anyone run the math, with current Spec B tire fitment, and the already known 6MT final drive and gear ratios... will the 6MT offer any reduction in RPM at 65mph, vs the 5MT? (will the 6MT help highway fuel economy/engine speed?)

An 07 LGT Limited again might be more attractive with the money saved for mods.

I wish they would for you, man. I've got the wagon sympathy... But as a sedan buyer, I am SOO glad that the rumor is all but completely confirmed that the 07 sedans will have slit folding rear seats.

But SOA needs to see it's way to even offer more than one COLOR! more than one body style might be just too much for them to even contemplate...

Makes me really wonder what these product planners think... "How can we offer some of what people want, and then SOUR the deal, and keep a bunch of cars in dealer inventories..." It certainly isn't: "How can we sell more of the cars people want, and make more money at it..."

I just thought that perhaps the 3.0R spec b is sold or is held in inventory with slightly fewer units available than other trim models, like the regular 3.0R.

I don't know that for sure, and perhaps the 3.0R spec B is more common than the regular 3.0R... you tell me...

But the euro/Aus/Japanese 3.0R spec B isn't limited to 500 units of one configuration, like the USDM 2.5GT Spec B is. That is my main point.

Ahh I get it now. No they aren't limited in any way but I guess they aren't selling in huge quantities anyway

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best single thing Subaru could have done to set the Spec B apart from the LGT would have been to put in the WRX STi engine. That would have been a cheap, off-the-shelf solution which would have required no additional R&D. If they had just done that one thing, I think the Spec B's would have all been sold within a few weeks.

Having said that, I am not in any way disappointed with the Spec B. As for the comments about the leather color being unappealing with the silver paint, all I can say is that everyone who has looked at my car raves about how beautiful it is. Only a select few have ridden in it, and even fewer have been allowed to drive it. A guy at a local auto parts store saw it and asked me if I wouldn't mind "getting on it" as I pulled out, so I did what was probably a high-5's 0-60 takeoff. His reaction was :icon_surp!!! A few days later, I was in the store again, and he couldn't stop telling his coworkers about me and my Spec B and how fast it was. He admitted that prior to that, he had never considered owning anything but a Ford Mustang, but now he wants a Subaru Legacy GT, preferably a Spec B! :)

I consider the largest failing of the Spec B is not having the 6 speed like everywhere else in the world. If they remedy this for the next iteration of it, I would consider it a much better deal. As it stands I am not sure its worth the asking price. I love it for its relative rarity, but its not selling because dealers are asking for more than I think its qualtitavely worth.

I am glad they made one for here though, and I hope a spec C STI shows up in the next year or two. I would absolutely buy one of those no questions asked.

I just hope the 6-speed (if in the specB) doesn't have the same ratio's as the STI box... Keep the same gears 1-5 of the current tranny and add a 6th that its basically not used except for highway cruising... 30+ mpg would be GREAT and seriously help when compared to say the MS6 and other competitors

I consider the largest failing of the Spec B is not having the 6 speed like everywhere else in the world.
The only Spec-Bs w/6mts are in Europe and Austailia (H6). The turbo Spec-Bs in Japan and the US have the 5MT...

Ted

:spin:

I just hope the 6-speed (if in the specB) doesn't have the same ratio's as the STI box... Keep the same gears 1-5 of the current tranny and add a 6th that its basically not used except for highway cruising... 30+ mpg would be GREAT and seriously help when compared to say the MS6 and other competitors

As a WRX owner waiting on the Leg 6mt, those ratios would be a serious disappointment to me as well.

I think the best single thing Subaru could have done to set the Spec B apart from the LGT would have been to put in the WRX STi engine.

As for the comments about the leather color being unappealing with the silver paint, all I can say is that everyone who has looked at my car raves about how beautiful it is.

I think a WRX STI engine would be cool, and it wouldn't even need that many parts. A revised all-metal intercooler to go between the STI's turbo, and the Legacy's intake manifold... raise the redline to 7k, and you've got it... ECU tuning, as well, of course... at least 290-300hp to compete with G35, and others sport sedans in the segment.

Some folks don't like the red leather, but I actually really like it. More than the silver paint, actually. I wish they had put the red interior in the Garnet Red, or Obsidian black car... Silver is fine for those who like it, but I wish subaru would figure out that some of us like other colors, too.

Plus, I think the rumored-for-07-specB possibility of darker gray over black and blue leather is going to be even more drab. (Unless the car is painted blue, I like the red leather better than black/blue. If the car were to be painted blue, then I would favor the black/blue/red-stitched interior.)

Good to hear that you are enjoying your new spec B. That is what is really important.

Not to distrust you or in any way shoot down your "confirmations" but we have in the past had Subie salespeople here quote something that the rep has said and it never came true.

All I can say is that I hope to god the 6MT has the reverse gear position in the lower right. It was top left on the MS6 and you had to press the knob down to get it in there. It was a pain in the arse. Also, I hope the shifter retains much of it's current feel as the MS6 that I drove - well, I had no idea of what gear I was shifting in to... the gates were way to vague.

Keeping up with the MS6? Screw that, blow the motherfvcker away... H6 Turbo FTW! It'll be years before Mazda figures out how to properly turbo a V6, they can't even get the inline 4 right.

I'd think it'd be cool if it was like CL-S where the 6th gear slot is also the reverse gear slot. BUT H6 Turbo FTW definately.

I think a WRX STI engine would be cool, and it wouldn't even need that many parts. A revised all-metal intercooler to go between the STI's turbo, and the Legacy's intake manifold... raise the redline to 7k, and you've got it... ECU tuning, as well, of course... at least 290-300hp to compete with G35, and others sport sedans in the segment.

Some folks don't like the red leather, but I actually really like it. More than the silver paint, actually. I wish they had put the red interior in the Garnet Red, or Obsidian black car... Silver is fine for those who like it, but I wish subaru would figure out that some of us like other colors, too.

Plus, I think the rumored-for-07-specB possibility of darker gray over black and blue leather is going to be even more drab. (Unless the car is painted blue, I like the red leather better than black/blue. If the car were to be painted blue, then I would favor the black/blue/red-stitched interior.)

Good to hear that you are enjoying your new spec B. That is what is really important.

Good points! We already compete with the G35 in my opinion though, at least in performance.

Archived