LegacyGT.com

Stepping it up a notch, need a rotated turbo!

It doesn’t look like that kind of money in hardware to me. $70 for the flex fuel sensor, $80 for the fuel reg and a variety of fuel and maybe vacuum lines. Odds and ends of wiring. The magic must be in the controller.

You could probably work out what it connects to, but it would still take some high level tuning savvy. Maybe a chat with your tuner would be beneficial?

• Like 1

Right… so the magic is in the voltage signal from the module that gets an  input from the O2 and the FF sensor.

Dead link to the module in that post, but google says they are $119 USD.

Fair bit less than $800 to put that together for yourself. Of course you still need some fuel lines and the tune, but whatever. Now, if only you could get E85 in Ontario…. Or Canada for that matter.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I am going with a custom kit from iBr, https://www.ibuildracecars.com/store/flexfuel . If you email them, they can provide a 3 pin wiring kit. It uses one of the TGV's to send the signal. 

Ordered the Killer B turbo inlet as well. 

Going to see what e85 can get me before I go crazy with turbos and fmics. 

Is there anyway to connect a speed density setup without a fmic. Cause usually it goes in that piping. But not sure the fmic would let you setup sd. 

The money I save from not buying a 2k turbo and 1800 dollar fmic kit would let me get those KW coilovers that i have been foaming at the mouth for. 

Nice looking kit, and p&p for Subaru specifically.

Lots less cash to max out your current 20G on e85 than big turbo + fmic etc…

Curious which 20G you have. Only because JMP’s really are *much* better than say, the BNR equivalent.

Not shit talking BNR, just pumping JMP’s tires a little.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 4:26 PM, Tehnation said:

So I am going with a custom kit from iBr, https://www.ibuildracecars.com/store/flexfuel . If you email them, they can provide a 3 pin wiring kit. It uses one of the TGV's to send the signal. 

Ordered the Killer B turbo inlet as well. 

Going to see what e85 can get me before I go crazy with turbos and fmics. 

Is there anyway to connect a speed density setup without a fmic. Cause usually it goes in that piping. But not sure the fmic would let you setup sd. 

The money I save from not buying a 2k turbo and 1800 dollar fmic kit would let me get those KW coilovers that i have been foaming at the mouth for. 

I am running speed density, and one of the specialty subaru shops in my area drilled and tapped the cold side of my TMIC for a place to put the sensor in. but if you have a drill and tap you could do it yourself.

• Like 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

I have the Grimmspeed TMIC, not sure if there is enough meat to tap in threads. I've been looking for a shop to weld in the bung, but no one does that kind of thing near me (aluminum welding). So I'm trying to figure out how to get  a SD setup with TMIC. 

I am thinking of maybe putting it in the charge tube using something like this. 

https://www.mishimoto.com/aluminum-1-8-npt-add-on-bung-hoses-couplers.html

And using a 1/8 npt sensor instead of the 3/8 that i have. 

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/sensors/temperature_sensors/parts/30-2014

49 minutes ago, Tehnation said:

I have the Grimmspeed TMIC, not sure if there is enough meat to tap in threads. I've been looking for a shop to weld in the bung, but no one does that kind of thing near me (aluminum welding). So I'm trying to figure out how to get  a SD setup with TMIC. 

I am thinking of maybe putting it in the charge tube using something like this. 

And using a 1/8 npt sensor instead of the 3/8 that i have. 

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/sensors/temperature_sensors/parts/30-2014

Sorry I miss spoke they drilled the hole in my GS tmic and also welded a bung in for it.  I will snap a pic for you when I go out to pick up my daughter from day care in the next little bit.  But yes you would need to find someone that can tig weld the bung on for you.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tehnation said:

Got it home and realized I probably shoulda double checked that it wouldn't hit the brake fluid reservoir so I just mocked it up and everything looks good. 

20231026_152110.thumb.jpg.32961f7607618f8df40e4f2902f859f8.jpg

Depending on where you get your Speed density wire from that might be too far without extending the wires.  You don't want the wires to run over the TMIC or around your turbo so you should keep that in mind.

That’s what I did.  My MAF connector is tucked up against the firewall and then I extended a custom I wire harness to the IAT sensor and then another to the wide band o2. 

• Like 2
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

3 hours ago, Tehnation said:

Oh boy, we gonna find out lol! I thought about it as well, but if anything I can pull the MAF cable back to the firewall and run it along that. 

Are you going full speed density or hybrid.  As that will determine how hard it will be.  Going full Speed density you could pull the MAF cable back towards the firewall, but you may need to separate it from the wire loom by the ABS Module as I think that is were it merges with the rest of the wire harness iirc.  

Now if you are going Hybrid Speed Density you will have a much harder time as it is a jumper harness to the MAF which stays in place, but the cable is shorter.

• Like 1

I have the hybrid kit. So it may be an issue doesn't seem very long but its just 2 wires, I can figure something out. 

iwirehybridmafkit.thumb.jpg.a533322446781ee80b10b063c30f884d.jpg

wiringSD.thumb.jpg.f01537098756c492b6372b5fb1cddc8e.jpg

Got some goodies to install for round 2 of tuning.

• iBuildRacecars E85 kit
  • iWire Speed Density Kit(bung and sensor already installed on IC)
  • DW FPR with a Fuel Pulsation Damper 
  • Killer B Extreme Flow Hard Turbo Inlet

e85kitbox.thumb.jpg.172315cd5155f3501f5e856ac6b06734.jpg

e85kit.thumb.jpg.3df48c94cd1c6d4f4b3ea36b3f4f1725.jpg

FPR.thumb.jpg.a6554bc6196d0e572970dfb3fe06721a.jpg

20231028_140029.thumb.jpg.1b2ae8bf06b319291a1942fc4082b327.jpg

Lets see what roughly $1-1.2k in parts and some E85 can do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also have to install the IAG AOS kit and I also got the IAG Street to Competition kit to go with it. I am having oil pressure issues at high rpm tuner said. They said it could be due to the crankcase not venting enough due to the crap pcv design, which is pushing the oil to the sides of the oil pan. I have lower vacuum, not sure if or how that plays into it. Either way I'm just going to install these 2 kits to try and relieve the problem. Could just be that to much is blowing by the rings because I went on the looser side when gapping the rings but I already rolled the dice at this point so hopefully this alleviates the issue. The kits will replace the PCV and let it vent better.  Forgot about these to two kits so its more like $1.6-1.8k in parts. 

AOSKIT.thumb.jpg.70f32966c48582f43d7f044d400b3999.jpg

streettocompetitionkit.thumb.jpg.79b32bf3700348c6da002de764659585.jpg

On 10/27/2023 at 3:22 PM, Code said:

That’s what I did.  My MAF connector is tucked up against the firewall and then I extended a custom I wire harness to the IAT sensor and then another to the wide band o2. 

For clarity, my setup is pure speed density, not hybrid. The harness I had built allows me to utilize factory MAF connector that breaks out to a Bosch IAT Sensor, welded into the IC piping just before the throttle body. Then factory MAF input has been repurposed for 0-5v ecu input strictly for logging my wideband O2 sensor in the DP.  I think that all makes sense? 

• Like 2
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

The hybrid sorta works the same way, it just branches from the maf sensor connector to a iat sensor, so the tuner can use either or. Its the same thing, just doesn't delete the MAF and allows 2 options to tune instead of 1. 

For anyone who is considering SD and doesn't want to drill holes in their 1000 dollar IC. You could go the route of installing the iat in a cheap hose. I would use some lock tite or something to make sure the nut doesn't back off into your intake and fubar your engine. Grimmspeed will sell you the tube for 75 bucks plus tax/shipping but its a special order and doesn't show as a part on the site.  I ordered an extra one, to try and see what it would like, still waiting for it though. Got the other parts though. 

Hose Adapter from Mishimoto

AEM 1/8 sensor part number # 30-2014

Also if you order the kit from iWire, select the front mount, luckily I did cause its a foot longer. You can get the kit for either IAT sensor, just let them know. Notes below. 

Fitment Notes:

Length Differences
Front Mount Length = 48 inches
Top Mount Length = 36 inches

IAT Sensor
Our Hybrid MAF Wiring Kit works with any 3/8" NPT IAT sensor. When adding on the IAT sensor from us we utilize the AEM Sensor with weld on bung AEM part number 30-2010.

Contact us about a wiring kit for the 1/8" NPT Thread Air Temperature Sensor found on AEM part number 30-2014.

https://iwireusa.com/products/hybrid-maf-wiring-kit?variant=41226124263577

hoseadapterparts.thumb.jpg.3ab7e0306bfb76621edbf92fb63b59f6.jpg

• Thanks 1