LegacyGT.com

anyone NOT having trouble in the snow?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the 04 wrx was better in the snow.

someone's always gotta be the party pooper

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

the general tenor of this thread hits the nail on the head...people don't realize that they have to be smart, even with AWD...i have a touareg and i've driven my parents' 04 range rover a bunch of times in the snow...both of them are full out off-road vehicles (the rangie more so) and even in those things, you need to be careful or you'll kick your back end loose. and also remember that AWD helps a lot, but the weight of the car is also a huge factor...the legacy is relatively light...the touareg (5100 pounds) and the range (5700 lbs) are porkers and help cut through the snow.

Havnt had any problems yet...but....if ABS activation (comes on sooner than any car I'v owned) is any indication as to how the stock tires perform...frankly I'm a little concerned, and disapointed.

Should'a spent my tire allotment on snows.

Had no problems getting to work this morning. Had 5 inches of snow, just went right over it - in reverse. No way my GA could do that.

The main street of my neighborhood still had 3-4 inches of snow, I wish people didn't park on the side so I could have more fun.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

I think people complain a lot more because it is subaru.. Subaru is known for there awd cars.. but people probably think they should never spin out.. No matter how hard they push there 250/250 turbo charged car.. and that is what is stupid.. still a car.. if all four wheels are on a frictionless surface they are still going to all spin.. bet it would in any car?? MAYBE not a tank.. you might be able to buy a tank and not spin out?

Tanks will spin out, trust me. There's nothing quite so upsetting as 70+ tons sliding downhill on snow. It's just not going to stop until it is ready. This being said I am an 18 year veteran of the Army, as a 19K48A8, (for those current and ex military yes they did change the SQI to numerical) which is a M1A1 Tank Master Gunner/Instructor. Okay no more post hijacking. I haven't had any snow to speak of, so I can't speak for this Subie, but I don't expect any issues.

We got close to a foot of snow in Poughkeepsie. I live on a dead end street and before the plows came around I was ripping up and down it fishtailin' and stuff..it was fun and even w/ RE 92's it went through a foot of now..pretty effortlessly. When my gf and I left to go out for a while...I pulled out of our development a bit to quick..the road was plowed but very slick...the ass end swung out and we went into the snow bank. I was stuck in there pretty damn good...if we were in a fwd car...we would have been in trouble...but I was able to get us out..took a few minutes though.

As a first time all wheel drive owned who has only owned fwd cars. I agree with the early posters that many people may need the time to learn about rwd handling. I myself am totally not used to having any power go to the rear of the car. Plus, the fact that the GT is so powerful my lack of skill with rear wheel power is amplified. Over time I will get better and I'm sure I will begin to have total confidence in myself and the chassis. So to all those who may be having trouble, have patience, be careful, and progress slowly and you too will grow.:)

Drove my Outback in the first 4-5 inch snowfall the other nite. I almost couldn't get the car going sideways, despite my best efforts. '98 Outback, 126k miles, put on new tires when I bought it. Don't you all hate me, but I really am not in love with the car overall. Driving in the snow made me appreciate it a lot more, though. Car has the 205/70/15, so it's just a basic all season tire. This thing would be almost unstoppable with dedicated snows.

As I stated earlier I had no trouble. However I did push a Jetta out of a bank of snow last night that did have some trouble. And the whole time Im thinkin, this is why God invented Subarus.
Haha good one, its always fun too to honk at the SUV's and trucks pulled over on the side of the road because of the snow :D

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Hmmm I'm gonna have to admit, with all the bracing of the suspension and chassis that I did this summer, this car is completely different in the snow. I'm super lucky I got rid of the summer tires I used last year because by now I prolly would have been in the ditch. The front likes to slide through the turn and then the ass likes to give me a nice little, "hows your father" snap coming out of it. I must confess its fun, its almost like driving a RWD car in the snow with gobs of torque, however its not for the weak and faint of heart. I'll probably have to pull the front strut tower bar off of it, to allow the front to flex a little more going though the turns, so I dont have to drive completly like a granny, or expectant wife in the snow, but it will atleast get me to drive safer and not be pushing the car all the time.

If I had the luxury of coilovers (which I hope to pick up this spring) I'd definitely be able to correct this problem in no time with about a degree or two more of camber in the front and about a degree and a half in the rear, along with lowering the car a bit (but obviously higher than it would be in the summer). All in all, it just comes with the mods I did over the summer and has reminded me to re-learn the characteristics of the car, however I must say that if I went over the top on Nokians, I would prolly be fine, just out a shit ton of cash.

Oh well there's my lesson for the night. I definitely wont let anyone else drive this car without a serious warning and the infamous death stare before I let them borrow the car.

If you havent already, make sure you are all one with the car before taking it out this winter, suspension/handling mods might work wonders in the summer, but in the winter they can be you're downfall.

Safe driving everyone, we dont need to lose a member this winter.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I've been getting around fine on the snow and ice so far, but I don't feel like I have as much control as I did in my A4 with Hakk 1's. I go over a long curved freeway overpass on my daily commute, and the LGT does not have the stability I would like when the road is iced up (which is usually). I had planned on keeping the RE92's on through the first winter, just to wear them out quicker, but I don't know. The trouble is, I've been leaning towards getting 18" wheels for summer once the RE92's wear out, in which case I'd leave the snows on the stock rims. I don't like the idea of mounting snows on the stock rims and then taking them off and remounting the RE92's in the Spring, but I also don't want to get another set of 17" wheels. I guess I could just ditch the RE92's even though they only have 13K miles, but that's a lot of dough to spend on the car in a short period of time (I just bought SC GT's JDM Spec B suspension, I'll probably get an AP right after Christmas, and I need to get a winter wheel/tire package for my wife's Outback).

So, now that I think it through, I probably will reluctantly stay with the RE92's on my LGT for the first winter. However, I am definitely getting winter tires for my wife as soon as possible (probably Hakk 2's), because I think the difference (vs. the RE92's) is well worth it. Also, her OB is the car we will probably use for family road trips.

the 04 wrx was better in the snow.

I gotta agree. My '03 WRX wagon was better in the snow. I would chalk that up to the WRX 16" tires being narrower. The RE92's on that was ok. The RE92's on the LGT, well, you gotta pay more attention...

I gotta agree. My '03 WRX wagon was better in the snow. I would chalk that up to the WRX 16" tires being narrower. The RE92's on that was ok. The RE92's on the LGT, well, you gotta pay more attention...

Narrower tires make a huge difference in the snow, I wish I had gotten blizzaks with narrower than stock width and a bigger sidewall.

Archived