LegacyGT.com

anyone NOT having trouble in the snow?

Narrower tires make a huge difference in the snow, I wish I had gotten blizzaks with narrower than stock width and a bigger sidewall.

Oh yeah. If I ever get dedicated snows, they will be narrower than stock. Might as well hedge all of my bets!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went to a bar the other night and when I came out the street was covered in snow (I was DD...don't worry). Since it was my first snow with the GT, I took it easy in the beginning, but as I got used to the handling, I decided to screw around some. 4 wheel drifts, doughnuts, the whole shabang. Long story short, correcting the drifts, spins and accelerating hard was so much easier in this car than any other I have driven in the snow. The car handles it GREAT! I even had the date get out in her drunken state while it was snowing to take some pics (which I hope to post soon). She got back in and begged me to do some more doughnuts and drifting. I think I found a keeper!!!

Narrower tires make a huge difference in the snow, I wish I had gotten blizzaks with narrower than stock width and a bigger sidewall.

Unfortunately, though, 16" wheels will not fit over the LGT brakes (that was one of the first questions I asked on this board). So, you can't really get tires with a bigger sidewall. As for getting 17's that are narrower than stock, I'm not sure there is such a thing, or if they would fit on the stock LGT rims (I'm also not sure if there are any 17" wheels that are narrower than the stock 7.0").

Unfortunately, though, 16" wheels will not fit over the LGT brakes (that was one of the first questions I asked on this board). So, you can't really get tires with a bigger sidewall. As for getting 17's that are narrower than stock, I'm not sure there is such a thing, or if they would fit on the stock LGT rims (I'm also not sure if there are any 17" wheels that are narrower than the stock 7.0").

The 2006 2.5i comes with 205/50 R17 tires now. So...you Legacy GT guys can go that route if you want.

The 2006 2.5i comes with 205/50 R17 tires now. So...you Legacy GT guys can go that route if you want.

Really? I'll be damned. Those are narrower, although the sidewall isn't any bigger (well, not significantly). The aspect ratio of .50 multiplied by the width of 205 gives a sidewall height of 102.5mm. The stock LGT's aspect ratio is .45, times the width of 215, for a sidewall height of 96.75mm. That is not enough of a difference in sidewall height to make a noticeable difference in the snow and certainly nowhere near the difference that a minus-one tire size (i.e. 16") would give you.

What is the width of the 2.5i rims? Is it the same as the LGT rims (17x7)?

What is the width of the 2.5i rims? Is it the same as the LGT rims (17x7)?

I don't know. Subaru.com doesn't tell you the wheel width. But the wheel that is on the 2.5i looks exactly like the GT wheel. So, I would assume that it's the same 17x7 wheel that's on the GT.

We just had 14 inches of snow here in KC and I had absolutely no problems getting around anywhere. Even on the steepest hills I could stop in the middle of them and continue my travel without any hesitation. I am still on the stock tires as well. This car is great, it gets great traction, until you give it enough throttle and it kicks the back end around on you but it is extremely easy to straighten it back out. The subaru AWD is superior to the AWD I had in my 90 celica alltrac.

yea, so last night.. i went to a local CVS to buy something and it was the only parking lot around here with big patches of snow left over.. however there were a couple cars parked every here and there.. so i pulled out of the spot, floored it an cut the wheel to get sideways... unfortunately i "panic'd" and ended up going straight for a car face to face.. i hit him.. no damage to his car.. and now i have a big gash in my license plate, luckily nothing to my body or anything.. yea.. it's my first car that isn't FWD and i'm still not used to the rear end kicking out like it did. ;[

yea, so last night.. i went to a local CVS to buy something and it was the only parking lot around here with big patches of snow left over.. however there were a couple cars parked every here and there.. so i pulled out of the spot, floored it an cut the wheel to get sideways... unfortunately i "panic'd" and ended up going straight for a car face to face.. i hit him.. no damage to his car.. and now i have a big gash in my license plate, luckily nothing to my body or anything.. yea.. it's my first car that isn't FWD and i'm still not used to the rear end kicking out like it did. ;[
Thats a good 'ol ooops

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

It's tough when you're "panic'd".

however there were a couple cars parked every here and there.. so i pulled out of the spot, floored it an cut the wheel to get sideways...

Well flooring it and cutting the wheel wasn't such a great idea in the snow.

unfortunately i "panic'd" and ended up going straight for a car face to face.. i hit him.. no damage to his car.. and now i have a big gash in my license plate, luckily nothing to my body or anything.. yea.. it's my first car that isn't FWD and i'm still not used to the rear end kicking out like it did. ;[

Ya got lucky! But you learned a valuable lesson about how a car like this will handle.

I'm a little confused by all this "rear end kicking out" stuff, like AWD is somehow harder to drive in than FWD in the snow. Yeah, I guess FWD cars understeer more, but it's not like these Legacies are really tricky to drive in the snow. The AWD system is designed to keep the car going where you point it, and it does a very good job of that.

Here are some helpful snow driving tips from my good friend McDade over at Nasioc.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703406

"Subarus tend to turn in the snow like a front wheel drive car, push push also known as understeer, you can not turn in at 20 mph in the snow and expect the car to snap into action, it will push right out to the apex and not turn. Usually putting you into a curb."

kmurph is correct that Subarus understeer in the snow. All you have to do it take the turns easy and the car will pull through the turn.

Rippin' it up here in the Pacific Nerthwest of Canada...my LGT Wagon with a set of M3's on are sweet...(as long as you don't drive like an idiot)...I went from 15 years of driving Suv's betweeen Anchorage and Vancouver and this car seems to do it all!!!! Although I wouldn't think of driving a winter without snow tires...just not worth the chance or the stress!

All of the threads I've been reading about how terrible the Legacy and Outback handle in the snow just amaze me. Of course the RE92s are crappy tires but some people act like they're made of greased banana peels or something. If you don't adjust your driving technique to match the conditions, you'll have problems with ANY tire. It especially amazes me that some people in Canada and other cold and snowy areas are having problems. I would have thought they would know how to drive in snow and ice a bit better than they apparently do.

I agree with thepdmm...I had more problems with the idiots driving around me than with the snow we had here in Cincinnati. People here even tend to have a problem driving in the rain!

All of the threads I've been reading about how terrible the Legacy and Outback handle in the snow just amaze me. Of course the RE92s are crappy tires but some people act like they're made of greased banana peels or something. If you don't adjust your driving technique to match the conditions, you'll have problems with ANY tire. It especially amazes me that some people in Canada and other cold and snowy areas are having problems. I would have thought they would know how to drive in snow and ice a bit better than they apparently do.

What amazes me is when people imply that good driving skills negate the need for decent tires. The RE92's are crappy in the snow and ice for an all-season tire. Sure, they're not the worst thing in the world, but they're not very good. Being a great driver doesn't make the RE92's any less crappy; it just means that one is better equipped to deal with crappy tires. Even the best driver in the world would be better off with a good winter tire or some better all-seasons.

I think your dog gave your wheel a golden shower. :lol::icon_tong

LOL! I caught him in the act!! ...and did my best to run the little F'er over!:icon_bigg j/k j/k

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9263/518259896hqxztkfs6gl.th.jpg

And here is a great reason why I didn't get another Passat (Though I DO like the B6's a lot) :icon_tong

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/302/518259720jaivllfs7sc.th.jpg

I actually had to blaze a trail for her in my Subie so she could get out!! hehe

BTW I am running Hankook Ice Bear 300's. My only problem with RE92's is that they don't do ANYTHING very well. They are quiet, but no matter what the conditions (dry, wet, snow etc.) they are merely adequate...This car deserves better!

Archived