LegacyGT.com

anyone NOT having trouble in the snow?

I think as long as you're careful & dont think the laws of physics dont apply to your awd car you'll be ok. Keep the speed consistent, let off the gas when you start to spin, downshift, & dont jam the brakes. That's about all you really need to know. OH, & to anyone who thinks that hitting the gas when you're sliding will pull you out of it, WRONG!! All that does if move you faster in the direction you dont want to go. There is no hitting the gas & turning the wheel & pulling it out.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got 8 inches of snow yesterday (just south of Chicago). Blizzak LM-25's work great in the deep stuff and also on rough ice. It takes 10 inches of turbo boost in second gear to break them loose in the snow. With this car's AWD and modern snow tires it's just too easy to get going much faster than you should in bad weather.

I guess the Southwest Airlines plane that skidded off the runway at Midway Airport yesterday should have had some Blizzak's fitted!

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

I've been getting a kick out of the cars that don't seem to be driving well on the snow. So far this year I've seen a dozen wrecks involving the obligatory asshole Nissans and the various SUVs that think they are immortal. Every single accident I've seen has involved either a Nissan or an SUV. It has been hillarious. I've had no problems at all in the Legacy. Best winter car I've ever driven.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Heavy snow early this morning (5am) on Long Island. The car handled beautifully on the snow covered parkways at app 60-65mph. Got sideways once when passing someone (I was too aggressive with the wheel); corrected into the skid and the car recovered immediately in a straight line.

The car is eager for the snow like a Husky ready to mush. Toyota T1-Rs still on the SSR Comp 18s; gonna change them back to to stocker rims and tires, aka expendable.

I guess the Southwest Airlines plane that skidded off the runway at Midway Airport yesterday should have had some Blizzak's fitted!

Not cool man. A little child was killed in that crash. Poor taste. On another note, everyone please be safe. Just b/c we havent had problems doesnt mean that something can't happen

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I am having trouble with going home - i can't get enough of it - drifting is amazing in this car - i loved going the speed limit on the highway in the non plowed lane as everyone else stays in the plowed lane doing 20mph - i even passed an EVO8 MR this moring on the highway, i beeped as i passed him so he came out to the unplowed lane to - guess i inspired him or emarasseed him

Guest JessterCPA

Had a hard time in the snow for the first time this morning. Light & slippery snow, and the LGT just didnt step up like it used to. Dedicated snow tires look to be in my future.

All in all, I still got to work earlier than anyone else, and had no incidents.

i even passed an EVO8 MR this moring on the highway, i beeped as i passed him so he came out to the unplowed lane to - guess i inspired him or emarasseed him

You should have put your flashers on when you passed him:)

I haven't had the chance to drive in snow yet. Of course it doesn't snow in 60 degrees.:icon_bigg Can't wait to try it when I travel North for the Holidays.

We got 8 inches of snow yesterday (just south of Chicago). Blizzak LM-25's work great in the deep stuff and also on rough ice. It takes 10 inches of turbo boost in second gear to break them loose in the snow. With this car's AWD and modern snow tires it's just too easy to get going much faster than you should in bad weather.

LOL :icon_bigg

My LGT with Hankook Icebears is impressive. Yes, the laws of physics still apply, and you must be aware that reduced friction = longer braking distances and slower cornering.

But the LGT makes this white stuff pretty darn drama free.

I came from a boat of a car: '98 Grand Prix GT, and I loved this morning! I got in an hour early just to take advantage of the crappy roads! I loved it!. The only time I slipped was on purpose around turns and stuff, nothing like sliding a little bit on the turns. I got a little aggressive around one because I was turning onto a 4 lane road and it was EMPTY. Got a little sideways, nothing too crazy..let off the gas for like a second, and the car corrected itself into a straight line. Then I floored it in a straight line, front wheels spun for like a second, then power shifted, and I had traction again, loved it!

This morning I left fork around 6 w/ the road still unpaved, I really can't say I felt too terribly confident in the RE92's. I was really hoping that it would just rip through the snow w/ the awd, but didn't work out...haha silly me, i read this thread before heading out too... my commute is 50 miles, so I decided to turn around and give my boss and told him I wouldn't be coming in today. So guess because of the 92's I got a day off!

Do winter tires last as long as std. all season tires? I'm looking into the Blizzaks.

Barring uncontrollable diamondplate incidents I had no problems with the RE92s. I saw some things with them I didn't like or that could be improved but they can and will get the job done.

Only two snow related things I really didn't care for with them was lateral grip in <2 or 3 inches of fresh snow and stopping in just about any mount.

my lgt handles like a champ in the snow so far..inch or 2 of snow ontop of ice...it took me a better part of an hour to find a good spot to actually get my car to do a 360...hell, even simple sideways powerslides were next to impossible for me. And all of this in a stg 2 legacy. But i do have on some snow tires..i will wait for some fresh powder at 4 or more inches deep and see how i can do in that. And as for braking..threshhold is the way to go, i was averaging about 2 or more car lengths less stopping distance required at 30 mph in fresh 2 inch powder.

I think my fuel economy suffered too but that was prolly because i turned hard left and floored. This car is good at doing circles.
Ditto, plus it didnt help that I hadnt adjusted my tire pressures yet (I was down 7 psi in the front and about 5 in the rear), so I was having a little too much fun this morning powersliding my car everywhere :D Re-adjusted the pressures and now I have more grip and braking ability :D

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

I live in central MA and we just got slammed with 10 inches of snow, so I decided to take the car out. Roads were unplowed most everywhere. Visibility one car length.

Car performed unbelievably. Snow was really a non-factor. I live atop a very long and steep hill, that last year I could not make it up a few times in my Accord. The Legacy climbed it without one slip or slide. People were actually staring in amazement on the side of the road, like they hadn't seen a car in hours, or were waiting for me to get start sliding and get stuck. Subie, just smiled and kept on truckin.

This is my first AWD, and I am more than surprised with how well it performs. Going out on this test run just made me even happier I bought it. Great vehicle!

I live in central MA and we just got slammed with 10 inches of snow, so I decided to take the car out. ...

This is my first AWD, and I am more than surprised with how well it performs. Going out on this test run just made me even happier I bought it. Great vehicle!

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I took my Leg out last night for her first time in the snow. Now I knew what to expect as my friend's Legacy amazed people last winter pulling my 2000 Maxima out of a nasty situation. However, there is nothing quite like driving in the snow LOOKING for a challenge. That isn't to say I wanted to wind up in a ditch or overestimate the car's capabilities.

Jerami and I found a nice empty parking lot (which unfortunately has been scarred by thousands of frozen tracks). There was 2-3 inchs of snow over ice. I got to test braking and the over-steer charateristics of my wagon, not to mention some LONG power slides and redline-stength donuts.

I think the highlight of the evening for me though was a short run through a nearby deserted park. I drifted through the park (on the ROAD) with a HUGE grin on my face. The Legacy only broke loose when I wanted and was very predictable. Had I tried some of that in my older cars...nevermind I wouldn't try any of that in my older cars. :icon_bigg

In short, my Legacy GT Wagon is everything that I hoped it would be in the snow and more - even with the infamous Bridgestones.

I am very impressed with the way the LGT handles in the snow and ice. I do have Michelin Pilot Alpins on and I did lower the pressures a little.

With the lowered pressures and worse conditions I had a great time in the recent ice and snow here in Colorado! :icon_tong

Archived