LegacyGT.com

anyone NOT having trouble in the snow?

What amazes me is when people imply that good driving skills negate the need for decent tires. The RE92's are crappy in the snow and ice for an all-season tire. Sure, they're not the worst thing in the world, but they're not very good. Being a great driver doesn't make the RE92's any less crappy; it just means that one is better equipped to deal with crappy tires. Even the best driver in the world would be better off with a good winter tire or some better all-seasons.

What amazes me is some kid who buys a Legacy and implies the car is worthless in winter conditions. I've NEVER driven in winter condition prior to last February. Since then I've used Blizzak LM22s and the stock RE92s during terrible conditions. Gee, I drove across Wyoming on stock RE92s on snow and ice with 40MPH crosswinds on mountain roads. I didn't stuff my car into a telephone pole. You can overdrive any tire. If you're stupid enough to go out and drive in winter condition before carefully exploring the limits of both car and tire, you are the next potential Darwin Award winner.

RE92s won't kill you or crash your car. The driver gets to do that on his own.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL! I caught him in the act!! ...and did my best to run the little F'er over!:icon_bigg j/k j/k

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9263/518259896hqxztkfs6gl.th.jpg

And here is a great reason why I didn't get another Passat (Though I DO like the B6's a lot) :icon_tong

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/302/518259720jaivllfs7sc.th.jpg

I actually had to blaze a trail for her in my Subie so she could get out!! hehe

BTW I am running Hankook Ice Bear 300's. My only problem with RE92's is that they don't do ANYTHING very well. They are quiet, but no matter what the conditions (dry, wet, snow etc.) they are merely adequate...This car deserves better!

:lol:

The dog is eyeing the VW though. Shoulda let him sprinkly the farfignuten! :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

What amazes me is that STG and rfd425 don't realize they're both right.

Anyone can benefit from a tire with better snow performance than the RE92. They're an all seasons tire that tries to do everything reasonably well with a slight dry bias and so lose some snow performance. That doesn't cause accidents but makes it easier for inexperienced drivers to get in to them.

At the same time it also doesn't help sometimes during unavoidable unforseen surprises dealt by the north. Tell me if you haven't hit an unexpected slick spot that's dangerous at any speed except stopped, or that you haven't hit a ridge of ice formed by a snow plow under fresly fallen snow (these things love to take your car in a different direction). Neither of those can be anticipated in all cases, even by a good driver taking things as carefully as possible.

A better winter tire might help you get out of those situations better because it might offer better braking or lateral grip in the snow, but even that's not guaranteed.

What amazes me is that STG and rfd425 don't realize they're both right.

Trust me. I know I'm right.

My point is that it is up do the driver of the vehicle to know the limits of his and his car's capabilities and drive accordingly. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be on any public road in any weather. Short of a manufacturing defect or malfuction, it's not the car's or the tires' fault.

Trust me. I know I'm right.

Oh shove it. He had a point too and that is what I was saying.

You are right, everyone has said that before. Broken record for pete's sake.

People give your advice and that's it, end of discussion. Let's never discuss the shortcomings of the tires or the *insert whatever here*.

Oh shove it. He had a point too and that is what I was saying.

You are right, everyone has said that before. Broken record for pete's sake.

People give your advice and that's it, end of discussion. Let's never discuss the shortcomings of the tires or the *insert whatever here*.

Waaaaaaa!

Subie + Nokians = Winter Driving Awesomeness!

So far, I agree! I'm running the WRs in stock size.

I would suggest that when folks post in this thread that they identify the tires they are running. Obviously, this makes a HUGE difference. Saying the WRX was better than the LGT without specifying what tires were run on each, for example, is incomplete and does not allow for a fair comparison.

My WRX on RE-92s was MUCH better than my LGT on RE-92s. My LGT on WRs is MUCH better than my LGT on RE-92s.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I was gonna post here a few days ago and join the "NOT" having trouble club~ but yesterday i almost slided into a curb with the RE92s!!! was going at 20 mph in a residental area, had to make a left, well appreantly the 92s said I went too fast and I did the brake and turn thing... yeah I m not the greatest driver, I didnt use throttle steer... It was unexpected... Luckily I regained control as soon as it started to slide it lost speed. Cant imagine what could've happen on main roads going faster!!

Emlevins, I see you got the Nokian WRs, I am now looking into snow tires after that now, thought I could survive with 92s.. but figured safety should come first!

How does the WRs compare to RSI, the WRs are all season rated, but with th severe weather thingee, RSI is true winter tires, so I am now trying to decide which to get, looked into hakka2 too, but thats too much of an overkill for me.

I was gonna post here a few days ago and join the "NOT" having trouble club~ but yesterday i almost slided into a curb with the RE92s!!! was going at 20 mph in a residental area, had to make a left, well appreantly the 92s said I went too fast and I did the brake and turn thing... yeah I m not the greatest driver, I didnt use throttle steer... It was unexpected... Luckily I regained control as soon as it started to slide it lost speed. Cant imagine what could've happen on main roads going faster!!

Emlevins, I see you got the Nokian WRs, I am now looking into snow tires after that now, thought I could survive with 92s.. but figured safety should come first!

How does the WRs compare to RSI, the WRs are all season rated, but with th severe weather thingee, RSI is true winter tires, so I am now trying to decide which to get, looked into hakka2 too, but thats too much of an overkill for me.

WR's won't wear as fast as the RSI's. I have the WR's and love them more than previous Blizzaks on other cars. :D

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

WR's won't wear as fast as the RSI's. I have the WR's and love them more than previous Blizzaks on other cars. :D

And, you can run the WRs all year and have FUN! I put them on after running summer Goodyear F1s and the WRs are just a notch below them. I was worried that the fun factor would be significantly reduced with the WRs (or any "snow" tires) but these things deliver about 80% of the performance of the F1s. I enjoy driving Pearl ALMOST as much with these as I did with the F1s...and I feel like I have a tire that is almost as good as any I could have in the snow.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

If you want true winter tires, don't rule out the Hakk 2's. That's what I'm getting, and I think they will be better all-around than the RSI's. While the RSI's might be slightly better on ice, the Hakk 2's, with their tread block pattern, should be better in the snow. Also, the Hakk 2's are densely siped, which should give them very respectable ice grip.

I had Hakk 1's (the predecessor to the Hakk 2) on my A4, while my wife had Hakk Q's (the predecessor to the RSI) on her Civic. The tread designs were similar to the newer versions, and both my wife and I agreed that the Hakk 1 was a better all-around winter tire than the Q. We were not particularly impressed by the snow performance of the Q's, but they were better on ice. The Hakk 2 has much more siping than the Hakk 1, so that should help a lot with the ice performance. To be fair, I don't know what changes were made from the Hakk Q to the RSI, but it's nothing I can easily discern.

Im running WS-50's they are nothing short of amazing on hardpack. You can goose the throttle the wheels will just spin up and catch.

The legacy is definatley more tail happy than my WRX in the snow. Throttle induced oversteer is alot easier. It makes for alot of fun if you are careful and know how to drive it.

Saying the WRX was better than the LGT without specifying what tires were run on each, for example, is incomplete and does not allow for a fair comparison.

Umm, it was implied in my post that both cars were shod with RE-92s.

• 3 months later...

Archived