LegacyGT.com

Whitexc's 2009 LGT Re(Build)

To follow up on this and help clarify: car runs great with a kitty foot. Car pulls well and runs good at WOT. If I put the car in manual mode and drive, regardless of how much throttle, it gets up around 3k and begins to break up/sputter/fall on its face. If I am driving. Say 50 and hit it I can take off with good boost, good pull. I can be driving in any gear and kick down to pass or accelerate and it does fine. It's that part throttle area it doesn't like, especially in manual mode bringing the rpms up moderately. Going to go out and pull the tmic.....see if anything reveals itself. I will follow up with findings.

I knew this wouldn't be all unicorns and rainbows going through an engine change and stage 2 upgrade. Something has to be a headache! It's just how things work.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to recall Mike telling me once that he had to "give it more fuel at tip in", it's the same as a bigger accelerator pump on the carb.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I know it isn't like watching/reading a wide band but the AP just shoots right to 11.14 during these episodes. Now, is that in the tune(I doubt it as Mike knows his game) or is it maybe a lazy O2 sending bad info to the ECM? No lights or codes.

I hate the parts cannon. That said what is the go to brand of O2 sensor?

Took the IC off and checked it out. My bulletproofing looks to be holding. Swapped the OEM inlet gasket put for the reusable Chebby thermostat gasket. Everything looks OK. Quick boost leak check was good in the 9 degree weather.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Edited by whitexc

Denso! You can find the part numbers somewhere on here, or use rockauto and look for O2 sensors for your car, then find the Denso part numbers.

For the turbo to intercooler, a lot of people use this gasket, Mr. Gasket THERMOSTAT GASKET Part No. 738G.

Denso! You can find the part numbers somewhere on here, or use rockauto and look for O2 sensors for your car, then find the Denso part numbers.

For the turbo to intercooler, a lot of people use this gasket, Mr. Gasket THERMOSTAT GASKET Part No. 738G.

That's what I used for the gasket....just didn't have the package handy when typing.

Denso it is should I need to go there. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Study this pic and tell me what's wrong. Hint? It had to do with pressure.

1st person that gets it right owes me a gift card for not pointing it out earlier! More to come....f5c048d77ef57078030108d451c22cf3.jpg

Lol. Have a fun leak at the bpv did we?

Lol. Have a fun leak at the bpv did we?
WTF. Lol. See post #119 here....it is plain as day right after I got the car back on the road!

So I have admittedly been very nice to the car as I am still bleeding internally from this whole YNANSB thing. If you drove the car normally it ran pretty good. I say pretty good because it had a few hiccups. It was hunting at idle, popping a little pop in the exhaust when you backed off the throttle and it just didn't seem to be what it was supposed to be. A/F was sort of all over per the AP. I got to looking at pics and reading here and every other Google search I came across, pulled the engine cover and it was like Chevy Chase getting the lights to work on Xmas vacation lmao.

Let's just say between the shop and myself we all knew better. I am far from being that person to not admit to it so here we are. The turbo inlet was capped off so I didn't have a leak there, just metered air being vented externally and fu$&ing with the tune. The mid range hesitation was the worst but again, I only experienced it a handful of times and with so much having changed from a few months ago I knew there would be a bug or three.

They thought it was part of the air pump delete.....well no. It isn't. There. My/our mistake.

The car runs excellent now and goes in next week for an oil change, check up and a few other small things. Going to do a drain/fill on the 5EAT since I have fluid.

• 4 weeks later...

Back to this black beauty.....

I need to figure out a turbo heat shield/blanket or combo of both. I have all the stock shielding still but it was left off in favor of a blanket. I also have a Torque Solutions blanket but it's wrong and I've had it too long to send it back.

Thinking of modifying the blanket (*cut some off ) and use that with the stock shield. Anyone have a similar setup? If not what are you running and how does it work in your opinion?

Thanks for the input.

I need to figure out a turbo heat shield/blanket or combo of both. I have all the stock shielding still but it was left off in favor of a blanket. I also have a Torque Solutions blanket but it's wrong and I've had it too long to send it back.

Thinking of modifying the blanket (*cut some off ) and use that with the stock shield. Anyone have a similar setup? If not what are you running and how does it work in your opinion?

Thanks for the input.

I have a VF-52 and I'm running a PTP Turbo Blanket, with a stock heat shield (notched for the 52 wastegate arm) and gold tape on the inside, and an SPT heat shield on top (it's designed to fit over the stock heat shield). Seems to be working well at keeping the heat in the turbo.

Thanks for the input.

Have done pretty much what Infosecdad has done in the past with good success. Was running the stock heat shield notched and trimmed a bit to allow for the fatter Cobb bell housing. Pretty easy to do if you're handy with a dremel w/metal cutting wheel or something air operated. Ran a PTP for a long time no issues, swapped in a Faction Fab one a few years ago just because it was a good price and is essentially the same build. Could run a blankie with the Cobb or GS heat shield if you want to spend a bit more for better coverage, I've had both and the newer versions are pretty painless to put on. Worth DEI gold taping the inside "just cuz..."

• 3 weeks later...

Back to sway bars....

Bought the 20mm Whiteline. Have Moog links. From the groups experience where should I mount this thang? Soft or hard? Stock suspension GT with reinforcement brackets. Thanks.

When this was my first mod, (waaay back in ‘06!), I went full stiff with everything else stock in an attempt to dial out the inherent under steer. Didn’t seem to be too much to my taste

Whiteline 20mm RSB, cke_ssp aluminum reinforcement brackets and Moog links. I can see why the paint doesn't last on these bars as without dropping the axle back you have to bang it up some getting up and in. Not a bad job, even on this NY salt belt'r. Original links came right apart.

I went stiff. Figured why not. Looking forward to a morning coffee ride to see the difference. ef460b187b79fe626d2b50e9d8c510a8.jpg8ea2c72bac61734a846d1cc660a0daaa.jpg8cf19f5e4599e3b775ec10049010e9df.jpg

Edited by whitexc

If you can, find a fun sweeper that you know well, (on/off ramps can be a great choice), if you've pushed there a lot before with your OEM set up, drive it the same and you should see a difference :)