LegacyGT.com

Whitexc's 2009 LGT Re(Build)

The turbo is clocked correctly to fit the TMIC. Don't leave the rag in the hole as I've already repaired a couple that have had that happen. I've also had a couple where they taped off the turbo outlet and then forgot to take the tape off and called me to say the turbo wouldn't boost. Of course, once they found that issue, they were a bit apologetic, and all was well after that.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered some brake parts today. Funny thing.....was about to order rear brake stuff back in April when the engine failure happened. Here we are getting back to business and needing inspection. I called around and shopped a bit. Not being able to wrench due to surgery I ordered the Powerstop Z23 kit from Rockauto. I know I may get flamed for not going Centric blanks and Akebono pads but I needed rear calipers which are hard to come by locally. I would have spent more, would have had to chase a few things down and figured a little bling ( not Brembo bling.....) isn't a bad thing.

Goodridge stainless lines as well.

Question about sway bars....looking on IIR they have Whiteline 22mm front, 20mm rear with links and bushings for $480. Regular $679. Is this a decent deal and is it bolt in and go? No fu$#around? Will these work well with coilovers or a good spring/strut combo in the future? Stock suspension wise for now.

Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Edited by whitexc

I don't know if its still valid but I have some brand I can't remember rear sway bar mounting brackets that provide extra bracing. I think you need them if you beef up the rear sway bars, something like this

https://www.importimageracing.com/products/s1104m1ht001t-avo-rear-sway-bar-mount-reinforcement-legacy-gt-spec-b-outback-xt-2005-2009

I thought I got avo's but mine are blue.... don't remember where I got them or what brand they are. Hmm, they are blue so I am going to assume cusco, cause I got everything cusco.

Then you need some endlinks, I have the kartboys, they might not be that popular anymore. But they definitely stiffen up the sway bars.

Edited by Tehnation

Crawford shipped my AOS mounting bracket a few days ago so that can get mounted and plumbed. Pics to follow. Pretty much that and the tmic. Fluids are in. Car will come alive next week.

I don't know if its still valid but I have some brand I can't remember rear sway bar mounting brackets that provide extra bracing. I think you need them if you beef up the rear sway bars, something like this

https://www.importimageracing.com/products/s1104m1ht001t-avo-rear-sway-bar-mount-reinforcement-legacy-gt-spec-b-outback-xt-2005-2009

I thought I got avo's but mine are blue.... don't remember where I got them or what brand they are. Hmm, they are blue so I am going to assume cusco, cause I got everything cusco.

Then you need some endlinks, I have the kartboys, they might not be that popular anymore. But they definitely stiffen up the sway bars.

Yup these from AVO. There was someone out of Colorado or Utah I think that was making brackets too, can't remember the name, kind of a mom and pop enthusiast. They looked nice as well. Running the AVO's my XT daily and running the long lost, very much discontinued Perrin brackets on the track car that I put on in '07. They don't look particularly pretty now...

Yup these from AVO. There was someone out of Colorado or Utah I think that was making brackets too, can't remember the name, kind of a mom and pop enthusiast. They looked nice as well. Running the AVO's my XT daily and running the long lost, very much discontinued Perrin brackets on the track car that I put on in '07. They don't look particularly pretty now...

traildogck

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cke-ssp-rear-sway-bar-reinforcement-brackets-267057.html

I have the Cusco, very similar idea.

I don't see the Cusco listed anywhere, only the AVO. Wonder if ^^^ he is still making these? I sent an email....will see what happens.

Edited by whitexc

if you search the seller cke_ssp on eBay you'll find some of his stuff for sale. Don't see that he's selling the brackets but maybe he has some around?

Honestly, I'd be tempted to buy a set as well. As far as I know the AVO bracket is the only one available other than this one. If someone knows another manufacturer let me know. It would be a good idea for me to have a replacement set for the track car as my discontinued Perrin's are now going on 15yrs old.

Edited by shralp

I heard back from Chris...

"I still make them. I have blanks ready to go in*

Regular Duty

Heavy Duty

Both steel and aluminum.* All the same cost. Due to material increases.* Price is now $110

Lead time unfinished 2 weeks

Lead time finished with color or your choice...5 weeks. That's me being realistic now that it's approaching winter. It slows my curing*process.

Let*me know if*you have any other questions"

Brakes parts and Brake lines showed up today. Thinking as long as we don't chew on them we should remain cancer free. Will get pics of the brakes after install.

Have a set of aluminum RSB reinforcement brackets from cke_ssp en route. Was tossing between steel and aluminum. He had these made already so I went with them. I will decide on a bar, maybe after xmas. No rush.

63f51574fee64b845d758524637ead8c.jpg

Edited by whitexc

Crawford sent the wrong AOS can. Got their LGT mounting bracket (not much to it...) today and that was a no go. The can we got is for a rotated turbo setup so the plumbing is off, as is the mounting. The wait continues. They are shipping the correct can and I will send this one back. Even better is I had to pay, just to get a refund when they get the wrong can back in their possession. The joys of car building. 3b2d77b4fedd7fe36dccbfcfd244479a.jpgaf6e59ab6875b4e211c30719b8bb3c9c.jpg032a8808a9265fdc12da573462f1e43c.jpg

Need opinions....

Front axle boot clamps are lazy on the small end and slinging grease. This is not gonna work with a new engine, wrapped pipes, turbo blanket, etc. The boots are very pliable still, no cracks, axles are good with no noises (at least they were 8 months ago) so do I :

New Napa Performance axles @ $149 ea - gamble

Rebuilt Napa axles @ $150-ish ea - gamble

Tear apart, clean and re-boot with OEM boot kits - best outcome but time and weather sensitive.

For the short term....reclamp the boots that are on there. Will regular quality worm clamps torque down enough and also will they throw the axles out of balance? I have a band tool and stainless bands as well so that's an option.

I know what needs to happen. Reboot them. I just want to get some miles on the car, getting the engine sorted and then we will be into the crap weather for a while. I would like to tackle them in the spring, the right way. Thoughts?

Edited by whitexc

Hmm, tough one. I can generally say from experience that aftermarket axles tend to not work great in our cars, guess the price reflects that. I’d be tempted to say put a Napa one in while the weather is good and rebuild your OEM one as time allows. But since you gotta pull the old one to put the new one in you’ve done most of the work already :)

Yeah, thinking when the car comes home I will be under cleaning and reclamping the boots until spring at which time I will tear down, clean and reboot with the OEM kits. Maybe it will be time for Bilstien or Koni absorbers with Mevotech arms by then. Suspension may go in stages. The rear looks involved and pricey to go with aluminum bits.

Brakes. As stated I went the Rockauto route with the Powerstop Z23 kit for front and rear. I had a rear caliper mount that was fudged up so it was time. Goodridge SS hoses on all 4 corners and a full bleed with fresh fluid. Spacers can be seen on the rear to keep the tires flush and matching the front poke. b5f19af7aa8396d75bbe6770c41b1fcd.jpg13a01bd4d3d7f1c10dec5279e4627650.jpg4b42dd5260f4c258056e40651f7ecebd.jpg

Did you put the longer rear studs in? Doesn't look like it in the photo. Don't take the chance. I put 5mm spacers in the rear and it didn't leave enough stud, at least in my opinion, so I swapped them out and all was good.

Brakes and car look great.

I have not swapped studs. They are 5mm spacers and have been on for about 15k miles with both the winter wheel set up and the factory 5 spokes. If it were any more than a grocery fetcher with a now fancy hair dryer (thanks going to you^^^) I would swap them out. I am procuring a different wheel set up for summer as we speak and the spacers won't be necessary. More to come on that.

Wait a minute, its been bothering me for a while now. Do the rear wheels have a smaller track than the front? Looks that way on my car..... I think I will look into some spacers as well to get the rear wheels pushed out some more. If so, anyone know the difference between front and rear?