LegacyGT.com

Whitexc's 2009 LGT Re(Build)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for the masses.....obviously they produce DPs for both manual and auto cars, difference being a mounting tab is in a different location. Has anyone here and recently mounted up manual DP to a slushomatic?

There are literally no auto DPs out there......and I am not waiting until November or December to gamble.

***edit.....it appears a 5EAT pipe will work on a MT car but not vice versa. Yay.

Edited by whitexc

You'll have to chat with JMP on the vagaries of price for the build but the cost seemed fairly palatable price wise for stepped upgrades in this range for the last two turbos he's built for me.

Your overall parts choice looks good and built for long term durability. One thought. For me, if the car is in pieces already, the cost of swapping in a part like a new up pipe is kind of a no brainer at this stage in the game. You won't pay any more labor cost because an up pipe has to go back on as part of the build anyway. For something thats currently going for $215 from Rallysportdirect.com ( a Cobb UP), its not a significant cash bleed to just ensure that you're good for the long term. These bits get heat cycled to death every day and eventually they will fail. Similar situation on my '08 Outback XT. Bought it from a forum member in Ohio a few years ago, with 58K on it and just based on age of the car and location of the country I could see that every exhaust part was pretty hammered, and not just from salt. Since I was going from stock to stage 2 with JMP's VF52, it just didn't make sense to leave that hammered UP on, it would have been pennywise and pound foolish to get the car back together now pushing more power and have it fail 6 months down the road just because it was old and worn out.

DP wise, various good choices out there, (if you can find them!) I've drunk the Cobb Kool-aid since '07. Their stuff is built right. Plenty of others as well, a la Grimmspeed, Invidia, etc. Just stay away from dubious Chinese made crap. Sorry to hear you're having issues just finding one and yup the auto DP fits on MT but not vice versa which blows. Assume you've checked all the typical suspects? (Import Image Racing, THMotorsports, Rallysport Direct) Have you contacted the manufacturers themselves by any chance to just order direct? Bottom line, a stock DP is pretty much going to restrict you to a stock-ish tune, (power level) and at that point you might as well just have him rebuild your turbo to the same spec and swap it back in.

If you're willing to wait and/or keep the search up, for a 5EAT DP, you'd be so much better served having him put VF52 guts into your rebuild.

Edited by shralp

Great reply and thank you.

I messaged John this am and we're headed down the custom VF46 route. He has the goods and should have my turbo by weeks end.

Learned a bunch this morning. I had a shopping cart loaded up with goodies (to include a new up pipe [emoji6]) only to find out the part I actually need is super hard to come by, even pre pandemic.

Cobb and Invidia are the only two (of the big few that is) that manufacture for the auto cars. I can't find a contact for Invidia but all the big sellers are out of stock and say late November to December at best. If I have to wait, I might as well go Cobb and drink the kewl aide. That way everything is the same. Money is not the issue and wasn't my reasoning for keeping this build as close to OEM as possible. I just didn't want a $25k Legacy thats worth $7k and I want the car to last,, thats really all. I want to do it right and included in right should be a 6sp swap! I could have a DP tomorrow if that were the case.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate everyone's time.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Edited by whitexc

I will look into them. Thanks.

It appears auto DPs in general are very hard to come by. I saw a few reports of MT pipes going on auto cars that "worked" but I don't want to spend the big bucks on one to have to hammer a few dents in it for clearance around the tranny pan. The crappy part is this has been in the works for months. I could have done the waiting earlier in the process but now it's about go time. Nothing in my life is cheap or easy lol.

Edited by whitexc

Welp.....after scouring the country for parts I ordered through MAPerformance. All catted downpipes for 5EAT cars are on back order and I'm looking at a 9-10 week wait.

I went Cobb uppipe, Cobb downpipe, downpipe to midpipe adapter and all associated Grimspeed gaskets. They cut me a deal on a few of the pieces so that was nice.

I will continue to look and if I find something new, used, other to get the car rolling sooner I will grab it and then sell it after.

About this stock downpipe and how to get rich off of it......tell me more.....

Edited by whitexc

Oil pan has some rust......anyone have luck scuffing and shooting it or should I just replace it? Subaru piece is $88. NAPA piece is $85. Ebay piece is $52. Paint is cheap, just don't want issues down the road. Someone was selling a nice "B" piece....

Oil pan has some rust......anyone have luck scuffing and shooting it or should I just replace it? Subaru piece is $88. NAPA piece is $85. Ebay piece is $52. Paint is cheap, just don't want issues down the road. Someone was selling a nice "B" piece....

I tried to buy that pan from that dude and almost got scammed. I don't know of he was involved but there is something really fishy going on with that post.

I guess its a matter of how valuable 88 bucks is worth to you lol. Pay 88 bucks or waste an hr or 2 of your time cleaning and painting. How much is your time worth!? Buy a new one then fix yours and sell it for a couple dollars on ebay.

Personally I would just roll with it. Sand it, spray it and move on.

Anyone know if the Cobb, or other brand turbo heat shields work with the engine cover on the LGTs? Also, thinking of running a blanket on the turbo and not wrapping the up and down pipes....opinions?

1320 catless DP came today. It's not bad. Welds look good. No idea on fitment. That will be a cple weeks.

I would love to figure out where I can get that cat welded in....as in where on the pipe? See last pic where I am holding the cat in about the only usable straight section. Anyone with much more experience than I know if that would work? It is where the pipe turns and heads toward the rear of the car.....I would guess that is. Not having the car here doesn't help.

Cobb pipes show the cat down near the flange for the mid pipe. If this is the case with this pipe it wouldn't work or would be serious homework for a trusty welder. ce6fc6c1a49f291f8d63e63bfedcad1d.jpg9c353e172b3dec465978e2cf05d3168e.jpgb022ba152f6f61b885efedfc5476bb1f.jpg483f818c95ff50b7e969de27c3c67ca8.jpg

Edited by whitexc

I'd be tempted to run catless for the short term if you have a legit DP on order. Would certainly ensure the structural integrity of the 1320 DP, (not to mention keep it looking whole for re-sale). Then you could sell one or both pieces together or separately and come out pretty decent.

True. My worry with catless is the car possibly being too loud for my liking. I figured the cat would mellow the larger diameter DP just enough....am I wrong?

I certainly wouldn't be the one welding it. A good friend and neighbor would TIG it with beads likely looking better than the ones on there now.

I am really torn about this whole wrap thing too Someone needs to be the test pilot for this Inferno wrap, posted in tehnations build thread. Could it be me on this 1320 pipe?

Edited by whitexc

It might be too loud, but there is only one way to find out :lol:

The cat won't make a noticeable difference in sound volume, at least in the two times I tried to use a cat as a resonator there was no difference in the end. (I was doing it for smell, and was testing the sound as a side effect).

Yup, haven’t ever heard anyone mention that going catless would affect the sound much, most of your exhaust note is affected all the way out back. I ran catted Cobb DP to a resonated Perrin mid pipe / Y pipe to stock muffs and it was barely louder than stock. Once I went full time track car I swapped in Prodrive muffs and BAM, loud Suby burble car!

i've had a catless invidia since 2012. it only got loud when i took the mufflers. it got much louder when i swapped in the straight pipe system onto the invidia. The only thing that was louder was running the invidia with nothing on the end. shock and awe...almost set the garage on fire too

Ive never run a cat on my car..... passes emissions and I don't get any smells, so who cares! Screw you tree huggers :lol:;)

Every time someone starts their car with no cats, God kills a puppy :)

So starting exhaust lineup is:

Stock exhaust manifold, Cobb 2" UP, 1320 catless 3" DP, stock midpipe, TurboXS axle back.

It is what it is.....

Assuming you don't want to run stock muffs, yeah?