LegacyGT.com

VW Touareg Brake Swap

Have not installed them on the car with fluid running to them to test feel, however based on calculations for pedal torque, travel and BMC size, I expect the following (if you were to control for lines/fluid/pad type):

OEM pedal travel is pretty long stock, so the WRX 1" or STI 1 1/16" mc are both a good upgrade with stock brakes. It's not required for the 17Z calipers, but definitely a worthwhile change, especially with a STI booster.

Using the 17Z calipers & LGT rear sliding calipers, there is only about a 5% increase in pad area. Using the 17Z calipers and STI rear brembos, reduces this to about 1% (STI rear brembo has a smaller piston area), but shifts the bias forward due to increased front torque (73.9% to 75% front, OEM is 72.2%). This could be balanced by having a more aggressive rear pad, however with how nose heavy our cars are, its likely a good thing, or at least has minimal impact for 99% of drivers.

The pedal travel will be about 5% longer with the 17Z calipers and OEM LGT master cylinder (15/16"). The STI master reduces travel by about 18% with the 17Z calipers, compared to stock MC/brakes.

As for banjos, normally I would caution against them as there is nothing to prevent the line from rotating and loosening the banjo (Audi/VW people have leaking issues when using banjo lines instead of male flare fittings).

However I took a look at my test set up, and a simple p-clamp to the upper caliper bolt could remove this risk. The OEM LGT M10x1.0 banjo bolt fits the 17Z caliper, so this could be a cheap, simple solution that avoids custom lines. Photos show an LGT OEM line and OEM banjo bolt attached to the caliper.

DIASZWP.thumb.jpg.cdd091d697a9df38b4016e86cbb9131e.jpg

O4mJtE5.thumb.jpg.806776716210d001933d99c99952135a.jpg

• Like 1

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

hey Neil. any update on this project or if not would you be willing to share the files in order to continue this? 

You've put in alot of the hard work just needs manufacturing and would be more than happy to begin product runs if its too much of a struggle for you.

ive got 17z calipers powder coated so would like to see if you are keen on sharing the files or I may have to begin designing my own adapters 

thanks 

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody especially Neil

I stumbled on on your touareg 17zr calipers swap topic while searching the internet for 3d model of touareg 17zr caliper. 

Great work!

I am swapping those caliper on my VW Amarok Project. 

You probably invested a lot of time in to making 3d model of touareg calipers. 

But I need to ask are you willing to share 3d model, it will help me a lot with making a adapter?

Thanks in advance