LegacyGT.com

VW Touareg Brake Swap

Finally found some time to do a final test fit with an updated 3D printed bracket. All is looking good so I’m now reaching out to suppliers for quotes.

As well, I test fit OEM Legacy GT wheels over the calipers and radial clearance looks good, but a spacer will be needed for spoke clearance.

91a163a03b0f58f9a61a640d1a7d237e.jpg

46e7cbc0502e9fdccd929d106b4451af.jpg

c39cc953a46762dbb0c0232cc9b48d1f.jpg

849bca8e0f3acf2e4093b55dc6ee816e.jpg

f5173fede4c454a3eda0355c5c17c2d1.jpg

7dcc7596d8d46148ac23dc874fb4aab0.jpg

ce7f731c695111fc56df55e3b164ccd1.jpg

7e43ded6979a7636000ff7b628edafe2.jpg

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

Finally found some time to do a final test fit with an updated 3D printed bracket. All is looking good so I’m now reaching out to suppliers for quotes.

As well, I test fit OEM Legacy GT wheels over the calipers and radial clearance looks good, but a spacer will be needed for spoke clearance.

91a163a03b0f58f9a61a640d1a7d237e.jpg

46e7cbc0502e9fdccd929d106b4451af.jpg

c39cc953a46762dbb0c0232cc9b48d1f.jpg

849bca8e0f3acf2e4093b55dc6ee816e.jpg

f5173fede4c454a3eda0355c5c17c2d1.jpg

7dcc7596d8d46148ac23dc874fb4aab0.jpg

ce7f731c695111fc56df55e3b164ccd1.jpg

7e43ded6979a7636000ff7b628edafe2.jpg

Looks great, im still searching for some calipers

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
There’s a guy in the B5 S4 world who makes a shit ton of these, PM me and I can get you guys in contact to see if he can help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The brakets, or caliper conversions in general?

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I am trying to do exactly this swap. Neal, I can get these brackets made in steel, or some other material, for you. I would do so free of charge for you just for sharing your measurements, or a 3d printed copy of what you have posted. Edited by Soldier314

• 2 months later...

Ok,

Interested in a set of these brackets for my hawkeye wrx sti. I expect them to fit.

My 5 cents of contribution:

When I was messing around with prodrive/ alcon calipers( used to be an official upgrade from subaru, before the golden brembos appeared), I needed new discs, which are out of production.

But it appeared that bmw X3 discs fit, despite having a little thicker brake surface and having a diameter of...330mm! Bolt holes will have to be redrilled, but these discs are readily available and cheap ( here in europe)

Edited by Luc

Yes, these will definitely fit a hawkeye STI. Sorry for the lack of updates, life has been busy, but I have completed drawings of the components so I will be able to start getting quotes from suppliers.

Those discs would work well for diameter & thickness, but I think the offset of the caliper relative to the hub is a little different for the Prodrive/Alcon calipers (radial mount?) vs. the OEM STI Brembos. From what I could find in the Brembo catalog, X5 discs are about a 62 mm offset, compared to the OEM STI 52.7 mm. STI discs are availability is pretty good for North America (at least through RockAuto) and re-drilling is not necessary, which keeps in line with the goal of making this kit as bolt-on as possible.

Here is a handy database of discs searchable by size, if you have the year of X5 discs that worked I can look into it further:

Brembo Disc Catalog

1st gen X5 disc is 09.C896.10 & 2004 STI disc is 09.7812.11

715242947_X5332x301stgen.thumb.PNG.e050ac0dc7a7c89b2f4a4cd9956fb081.PNG

1081791535_326x30x52.7STi5x100Front.thumb.PNG.351a0388420418beaf7104775a941c50.PNG

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

Am I wrong or...

Does the bottom bolt line up with the existing hole in the hub? It looks like that on the " back of the hub "-picture.

There are 2 ways to install the bracket, one in which the bottom caliper hole exactly aligns with the existing hole in the hub, however the gives a less than ideal pad coverage of the rotor (see first attached image).

The second orientation uses an eccentric spacer pressed into the caliper (requires enlarging the existing bottom caliper mounting hole on a drill press), which gives nice pad coverage, while still using the existing bottom hub hole (second attached image is eccentric spacer, third image is pad coverage).

Whichever installation is chosen, only uses 3 of 4 holes in the mounting bracket (see fourth image, adapter is highlighted and unused hole tucks close to the hub, dust shield trimming required).

Both orientations of the bracket would use the 326x30 mm STI rotor.

214576267_nooffsetpadcoverage.thumb.png.98803d056e488f221c8e578a183df4a8.png

473326029_lowermount.png.0d042dd752d87c384a4ba6b556069b3d.png

1937383533_padcoverage.png.c937e4be262d80025c696191153c236b.png

726922722_AdapterHighlight.thumb.png.ead0af26f8024a8e64556f31ce4043ca.png

@regashiii

Yes, those 332mm X5 discs are the ones I used, because I remember considering having the disc radius shortened by a millimeter, but in reality the fitment with the alcon/ prodrive calipers and pads wasn't that dramatic, so I left it as is.

Doesn't the X5 offset of 62mm give the added advantage of deleting the otherwise needed wheel spacer? How thick is the wheel spacer?

Edited by Luc

Yes, those 332mm X5 discs are the ones I used, because I remember considering having the disc radius shortened by a millimeter, but in reality the fitment with the alcon/ prodrive calipers and pads wasn't that dramatic, so I left it as is.

Doesn't the X5 offset of 62mm give the added advantage of deleting the otherwise needed wheel spacer? How thick is the wheel spacer?

Definitely an advantage for better spoke clearance, but a spacer would still be needed, at least for the OEM LGT wheels. With the STI disc, about a 15mm spacer would be needed.

Having to re-drill brake discs and have a non-OEM size centre bore on the brake disc is less than ideal. The goal of the kit is to be as bolt on as possible, so this doesn’t align and with larger brakes, wheels with large caliper clearance/spacers are usually a given. Fitting under OEM wheels with a spacer is a bonus.

I appreciate the feedback and discussion, keep it coming!

@regashiii

Definitely an advantage for better spoke clearance, but a spacer would still be needed, at least for the OEM LGT wheels. With the STI disc, about a 15mm spacer would be needed.

Having to re-drill brake discs and have a non-OEM size centre bore on the brake disc is less than ideal. The goal of the kit is to be as bolt on as possible, so this doesn’t align and with larger brakes, wheels with large caliper clearance/spacers are usually a given. Fitting under OEM wheels with a spacer is a bonus.

I appreciate the feedback and discussion, keep it coming!

I rebored 5x120mm discs in the past, by elongating the existing holes to make a 5x114.3mm pattern fit.If done properly it doesn't create issues regarding centering or safety.adapting the center hole is quite easy: alloy center rings exist .

Edited by Luc

• 2 months later...

Just scored a set from a 2006 V8 Touareg today!

yTS53Jdl.jpg

byN52mGl.jpg

For anyone who is trolling the junkyard for these, make sure you have 1/2" tools. This is what happened to my favorite 3/8" gearwrench ratchet:

GhhoW0Cm.jpg

two 21mm bolts hold each one in, and I'm not sure what size the brake line is (i used a small crescent wrench). I also snipped the brake pad sensor since I didn't want them to charge extra for that and I know I wouldn't use it.

$50 out the door, thank you Pick-n-Pull!

Can't wait till you're done with these, Neal

Neal you have put a lot of effort and time into something great here and I've looked forward to your updates. As the urge to upgrade my Outbacks brakes continues and the ATS swap being enticing I still want to hold out for this.

• 2 weeks later...

dz12g0s.jpg

Aww yeah, just scored a set! In for the adapters as soon as they're available.

If anyone else is in the Puget Sound area, the '05 that showed up at Tacoma Pick n Pull yesterday has now been raided lol.

Just scored a set from a 2006 V8 Touareg today!

For anyone who is trolling the junkyard for these, make sure you have 1/2" tools. This is what happened to my favorite 3/8" gearwrench ratchet:

two 21mm bolts hold each one in, and I'm not sure what size the brake line is (i used a small crescent wrench). I also snipped the brake pad sensor since I didn't want them to charge extra for that and I know I wouldn't use it.

$50 out the door, thank you Pick-n-Pull!

Can't wait till you're done with these, Neal

Brake line was 11mm. And holy hell those 21mm bolts were insanely tight. I have a Ryobi 300 ft/lb impact gun and it did nothing to them. Nearly broke my 1/2" ratchet, too. I recommend a breaker bar with a very long tube to slide over it. Thanks for the heads-up on these btw.

Edited by Nigel_Vertigo

Hey Neal Cassidy how thick a spacer were you thinking you will need?

I've been looking into this using legacy 18x7" +55 wheels and it looks like it will need around 1" of spacing to stop the caliper hitting the wheel.

Not looking good for me at the moment, hopefully I have measured something wrong!

Edit: Well I didn't measure anything wrong, looks like those wheels DO need a spacer around 25mm thick for normal STI brembo's. Damn it!

Edited by crjohnson

A lot depends on spike design too, but yeah +55 would need spacers for any large, fixed caliper.

My 17x8 +35 Regamasters clear STI Brembos barely and would need a 3mm spacer to clear these 17Z 6 piston Brembos.

A test fit with OEM LGT 17x7 +55 showed roughly a 20-25 mm spacer would be needed to clear the 17Z caliper.

@regashiii

Does anybody know if you can squeeze 340mm diameter rotors into 17Z calipers?

DBA 43050 are 340mm, 5x100 and 5x112, same as 326mm STI rotors but bigger. Might help with adapting these caliper to the stock hubs by spacing the caliper out a litte further.

Yes it would fit the caliper, however it won't fit under 17" wheels and didn't substantially change the bracket design. It only moves the caliper 7 mm outward (radially)

For an future 18" wheel kit I'm looking at a 350 or 355 mm rotor and using the 18Z caliper (designed for a 350 mm rotor), rather than the 340 mm STI 6-piston rotor. It's just not a large enough difference from the easily available 326 mm STI Brembo to warrant a separate design, especially since it's no longer compatible with 17" wheels.

The 17Z caliper could be used with a 350/355 mm rotor, but requires some significant grinding of the caliper to accommodate the larger rotor OD.

Thanks everyone for the input and comments. Life's been busy but I'm hoping to cut orders on the first batch of brackets soon.

@regashiii

Life's been busy but I'm hoping to cut orders on the first batch of brackets soon.

Ok, keep me informed...

Are you willing to sell a copy of the design, so I can have a set made locally? Might be way chaper than shipping them...

Cheers Neal, i only wondered as I measured up a gen4 front hub and my cad model looks a bit different to yours.

Tempted to go 340mm rotor and redrill the holes in the caliper. I'd move them closer together, then have an adapter bracket etc.

• 3 weeks later...