LegacyGT.com

VW Touareg Brake Swap

Finally got a quote back from a water jet supplier, the two I initially contacted never ended up providing a quote.

Hopefully start production soon, definitely will have something this summer.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

You guys getting brembos for cheap are lucky! All of my wrecking yards know exactly what they have and charge accordingly... Still Hoping to find any 6 pot that a kit is available for, or direct bolt on. Glad to see a new kit being worked on!

You guys getting brembos for cheap are lucky! All of my wrecking yards know exactly what they have and charge accordingly... Still Hoping to find any 6 pot that a kit is available for, or direct bolt on. Glad to see a new kit being worked on!
Other side of the problem. Saw a suitable donor vehicle which was new to a local lot. It was in the lost for less then 24hrs and they were gone. Hard to beat people that go to the yard basically daily (while people are usually at work) and grab anything they know they can flip for a profit.

• 1 month later...

I wish! Waiting on the first batch of parts to fully install on the car.

The test fit was done with 3D printed parts on a Legacy GT upright, using the same models that will be used for manufacturing. But there are always material/process variations so hopefully it all goes smooth once I get parts.

2006 Legacy GT Wagon - Regamasters, Evo X Recaros, STI 6MT, Brembo 6-Pots (in progress)

@regashiii

• 1 month later...

Not yet.

OEM pedal travel is pretty long stock, so the WRX 1" or STI mc are both a good upgrade with stock brakes. It's not required for the 17Z calipers, but definitely a worthwhile change, especially with a STI booster.

The pedal travel will be about 5% longer with the 17Z calipers and OEM LGT master cylinder (15/16"). The STI master reduces travel by about 18% with the 17Z calipers, compared to stock MC/brakes.

@regashiii

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Making progress, other priorities unfortunately mean that progress is slow.

Did a test fit of the kit on the car (instead of just a loose hub), to make sure the strut, steering and LCA had no issues. Found some small changes to simplify the kit (2 fewer pieces) and also make installation less...intricate.

The kit is designed to install in 2 ways:

1) without an offset bushing in the caliper (less work)

2) with the offset bushing (better pad position)

The third photo shows the slight angle of the pad (bottom corner is closer to the centre of the rotor) WITHOUT the offset bushing (method 1). The pad does not overhang the rotor, it is just not quite concentric.

Happily, all other components clear. 17x8 +35 Regamasters clear with ~10 mm spacer.

The caliper takes an M10x1.0 male thread with a euro flare (bubble or convex DIN is the proper name I believe).

Thanks everyone for following along, hopefully will have actual parts to share soon.

6DskcPI.thumb.jpg.0e0da4312b2401ef2125436c851265c0.jpg

DQj1IOY.thumb.jpg.73ba28c9185d56848e6ba9b6d074df6d.jpg

Q8tyPLL.thumb.jpg.9a8a1345a253b37eb56176615b199447.jpg

3uhvJRX.thumb.jpg.799e7d45620a8a065b37da283adddaef.jpg

BHiU0KP.thumb.jpg.8f4bc9892e932c50e98f6f5fe24930d7.jpg

@regashiii

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay! Not doing deposits, once I'm happy with everything they'll be listed for sale.

Would people want the kit to include brake lines? Or would you prefer to DIY them with AN fittings or have a local hydraulic shop make them? A pair of stainless conversion lines would add about $70 to the kit.

Technically you could use the LGT banjo bolt and fitting, but the Brembo 17Z caliper is meant to take a bubble flare, so the conversion line would match the Subaru chassis hardline and have the proper bubble flare for the caliper, and LGT strut mount tab.

@regashiii