LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

On 1/26/2024 at 7:58 PM, SubOperator said:

The driver side actuator in LGT also lost its mind. Interesting project for sure, taking into account that the dash is getting all weird after car sits in the garage - some whitish residue that goes away when car sits in the sun for some time.

All of that to say that if I take that dash out to deal with HVAC actuators, I may have to put a new dash in.

Huh, I just noticed that same thing on my dash.....I thought it might have been from when I cleaned the windshield last, but maybe not?  It also appeared for me on a colder day, thought it might be some sort of frost.

Sticky dash.  At one time it was covered under a recall. Once it starts there is no stopping it. 

• Sad 1
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

23 minutes ago, Code said:

Sticky dash.  At one time it was covered under a recall. Once it starts there is no stopping it. 

It's crazy that some folks have it worse than others. I have a neighbor who has an 05 NA outback. Always been in the sun, no sun visor. Dash is just fine :confused:. While both of mine have been garaged for 10 years, and now they're cracked and sticky. pfff.

To give more context though, I believe my neighbor's outback has lived its whole life in the dry desert, while both of mine have been on the East coast for a while, some other cold regions of the world and now in a dry environment. Mine became sticky before moving in a dry environment.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

While I was driving my wagon every day the dash was pristine. When I stopped driving it and started garaging is when my dash got hazy and second stage is cracking. Even when I start driving it during the spring thru fall it goes back to looking like new again. Except for all the cracks it has now.

About two years ago I got a total from the local dealership of $1000 for parts and labor replacement. SoA offered me a $500 credit, which I put towards a new dash to install myself one day.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:58 PM, SubOperator said:

The driver side actuator in LGT also lost its mind. Interesting project for sure, taking into account that the dash is getting all weird after car sits in the garage - some whitish residue that goes away when car sits in the sun for some time.

All of that to say that if I take that dash out to deal with HVAC actuators, I may have to put a new dash in.

Yeah. I have a brand new dash in my attic since 2018 🙄. I planned to install it this winter, but I need to find the motivation for it..

One of my neighbor’s had their house and NA Outback smashed by trees in the storms here a couple weeks ago. Of course, after this newspaper article they also had it burglarized.

https://www.oregonlive.com/weather/2024/01/massive-falling-trees-destroy-portland-couples-house-making-them-feel-like-they-were-in-superhero-movie.html?outputType=amp

image0.jpeg

• Sad 5

18 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

...When I stopped driving it and started garaging is when my dash got hazy and second stage is cracking...

Nooo, mine might be starting this process.  I've got a white powdery coating.  Odd thing is I daily drive it, but also garage it.  So a little different.  Western WA climate.

Edited by SilentJ20
  • Thanks 1

I mean, the dash itself is fine (the hard plastic shell). It's that soft thin layer on top of it that is falling apart. If there was a way to easily remove that crap, and 'respray' a new layer, then we'd be good.

6 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I mean, the dash itself is fine (the hard plastic shell). It's that soft thin layer on top of it that is falling apart. If there was a way to easily remove that crap, and 'respray' a new layer, then we'd be good.

Custom recoat somehow? Have it upholstered?

I doubt any of the reasonable options are going to cost less than just getting a new one, but I suspect there are a few of us here who would be happy to be proven wrong.

I’ll eventually try flocking the dash that I remove.

Once that haziness takes over the dash will start to crack around the thin areas (near vents, cubby and odometer). It’s not pretty. I’ll fill the cracks and maybe remove the top layer that gets sticky.

In the meantime I got a CoverCraft dash cover, which I think looks great, but is an average bandaid at best. I think it was $60 on sale

My dash was starting to feel sticky. I heard about this stuff in a post here, so I tried it.
More than a year now, and the stickiness hasn’t come back. 

Chemical Guys VRP.

IMG_8350.thumb.jpeg.0f4e36d6c4d935e4da329ce15006cadf.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve heard their stuff is great. One of the better all around products in most reports.

I looked at an 08 STi hatch today, but it’s priced low bc it’s in rough shape. Maybe take a chance on it for the right price though…

• Like 4

Careful Booze…I tell myself if I ever buy one first thing I’m doing is yanking motor (mostly cause the only thing I could afford is a pos🤣). That’s usually enough to squash that. It always seems like more of a gamble with those…good luck either way! Keep us posted too.  

Chemical guys make good stuff…I’ve also used 303 on mine (aerospace protectant). No sticky dash yet…(knocks on wood). Think it might be starting though…unsure. I think with tax money a new hvac box and dash are in order. Gonna get the s10 back up and running and gonna daily that for a while so I can fix some things…

• Like 2

Thankfully I have all of you guys and the best Subaru forum on the planet in my back pocket if I run into troubles! I don’t think I’d be too far behind on the investment if it goes sideways 

Aaaand that went poorly. They put it on a lift for me to inspect and I drove it less than 2 miles before turning around to take it back. Misfires on all cylinders, haggard acceleration, aftermarket wiring all over the place, mismatched tires that don’t fit, it’s in bad shape. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, KZJonny said:

I feel like there may be a run on 4th Gen dashes before too long…. 😄

I think we may be there! Looks like 05-07 dashes are nla per heuberger parts site. 

On 1/29/2024 at 9:59 PM, WRX USA said:

One of my neighbor’s had their house and NA Outback smashed by trees in the storms here a couple weeks ago. Of course, after this newspaper article they also had it burglarized.

https://www.oregonlive.com/weather/2024/01/massive-falling-trees-destroy-portland-couples-house-making-them-feel-like-they-were-in-superhero-movie.html?outputType=amp

image0.jpeg

Man that's awful. I don't have any trees near my driveway, but I make certain my household lets our cars sleep in the garage. 

What condition is that dash in? 🙃

On 1/30/2024 at 3:19 PM, SilentJ20 said:

Nooo, mine might be starting this process.  I've got a white powdery coating.  Odd thing is I daily drive it, but also garage it.  So a little different.  Western WA climate.

Similar to what mine is doing now, being garaged and driven 1-2 times a week. Lived its whole life outside before about 3 years ago.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

On the dash topic, It appears mine was replaced under a recall for Air bags but I am not sure. Is that something that was done with the air bag recall?

The dash had areas that looked dull and not like the rest of the dash. I applied 303 and that made it look uniform. Until the next day and the dull spots appeared again. So I kept applying 303 everyday until the dullness stopped showing up. I think for me it was five days. The leather also had some dull dry looking areas so I kept applying leather conditioner until it kept a uniform look. That was in October as I just got the car and was bringing it back to its new car luster. Three months later and the dash and leather look good.

Yep, that damn sticky dash. I thought I got lucky on mine but it started creeping in while it was in the shop for all of 2020/2021. Too late to take advantage of the recall and no goodwill gestures from Subaru :(. Taking care of it now though along with new gauge cluster lens and replacing 2 of the 3 hvac actuators since there's no better time. @xt2005bonbon I have the same fear of it creeping back but decided if it does then I'll go the custom upholstery route.

@seanyb505 Dashes should still be available, I ordered mine from the dealer about 3 weeks ago. Apparently I had ordered the wrong dash after VIN verification (thought all 05-09s were the same except for color) and they reached out to verify and made sure it was the correct one. Picked it up at the dealer 2 days later. Guess I ordered a 2.5i dash instead of a GT by mistake and they were nice enough to discount the GT dash to the base dash price.

Itching to get everything back together. New dash, new lens, Euro console w/ red LEDs, and Madrig's CF kick panels for it, and OEM gunmetal trim pieces.

I don't know what the hell happened to my cluster lens. Looking at it reminds of the scene from The Other Guys where Will Ferrell's Prius gets stolen and they find it after a bunch of homeless people had an orgy in it.

dash.thumb.jpg.e7f61167e1e2b4a5b4e014a16db6d1b3.jpgclusterlens.thumb.jpg.a58446934d269e4dbdd0f359d67db07b.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Guess I ordered a 2.5i dash instead of a GT by mistake and they were nice enough to discount the GT dash to the base dash price.

Hang on a second here: are you saying that the NA dash is different than a GT/XT dash?

• Confused 1

Yesterday I had to make a run to an out of area doctors appointment and wanted to take the LGT as I wanted to get a price estimate to tint the windows and take the SSR wheels in case I could find the summer tires I want in stock.  However it was going to rain and the car is clean. So I put the car cover on the LGT and drove the Tundra. The summer tires I was looking at were not in stock so I am looking at ordering those. I did get a price estimate for a variety of window tint products not including the front row windows as I am in CA. The prices ranged from $220 to $520 depending on the product not the % of tint.

There was a example of the different products with a heat lamp demonstrating how much heat transfer difference there is between the products. The most expensive 3M product blocked almost all the heat transfer, I was impressed. The medium grade product allowed about 50%  heat transfer than the 3M product and the lowest cost appeared to block no heat.

I really like the brightness inside the car with no tint but some of your cars look soooo good with the dark window tint that I want to go with that look. So my question to the group is what percentage of tint to go with. I need to be able to identify Law enforcement out the rear view mirror so I assume less tint on the rear window? I also want to be able to see well out the side windows. Or should one go with a lighter tint on all windows so they have the same % all the way around. Any input would be appreciated. The car is black. My thought is going for the high end 3M product in a medium to light tint. Where I live I have seen outside temps of -22 to 122 degrees and I am a little afraid of having a black car and the green house effect of all the glass.