LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

10 hours ago, 05gtripper said:

***I really want a roof rack/bars-- but most models I see clamp into the window seal or door seal..  thus NEARLY eliminating the options for smoke shades/window visors..   making me more tempted to just bolt thru with some fender washer bolts thru roof with silicon. Vs a gay window latch rack that robs my window shade looks; let alone mounting.  

If you want to carry anything over 50lbs up there, do NOT drill holes.  A prev owner of my car did the drill method, used riv-nuts, and did a poor job preventing corrosion.  The roof flexed when the rack was pushed front/back.  Here's what I was left with:

PXL_20230828_003018675.thumb.jpg.337adcefbb7fa0b84c6bf45d1ed6eb8b.jpg

Dimpled and rusted.  My short term fix was to clean up and prevent the corrosion as best I could, then siliconed some DIY painted fiberglass caps over the top until I can do a more permanent fix.  BUT, since the roof and rear quarters are all one piece of continuous body, blending paint to match will never be perfect.  It will never be as good as the original roof.  Please don't drill holes...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's a new year, and The LGT has been cozy in the garage warm. this year it will get the ETS front mount kit for sure and that will hold me over till the trans goes and then I will go full on STI trans with DCCD.

11 hours ago, alex0856 said:

I had a certain incident last night involving the right side of the speedometer and a fender liner being secured by exactly 1 clip. It had been holding on for dear life for a while but I hadn't considered the consequences of driving with a missing foglight. Oops.

But hey, the bumper cover held on by 2 bolts did great.

So the rest of the front end got assembled today. New Diode Dynamics LEDs in the fogs, new Morimoto 55W bulbs, a headlight adjustment, and a sore back from endlessly persuading the front bumper cover to line up properly. My grill is toast (note the missing emblem) but I can't bring myself to drop almost 300 for a new one. That'll probably be a scrapyard find.

Yesterday I tracked down the exhaust leak and swapped out that 3" gasket. The donut needs to be replaced as well so I made a Grimmspeed order. I'm just glad to be driving with the windows up.

20240102_231548.jpg

20231230_155013.jpg

“Right side of the speedometer”…please don’t say “dead backlighting”. I’m putting off looking at mine, mostly because of the slightly overwhelming amount of effort it takes to swap/reprogram the immobilizer EEPROM in the cluster…or disassemble the cluster.

14 minutes ago, killjoy323232 said:

“Right side of the speedometer”…please don’t say “dead backlighting”. I’m putting off looking at mine, mostly because of the slightly overwhelming amount of effort it takes to swap/reprogram the immobilizer EEPROM in the cluster…or disassemble the cluster.

I think it might have been more of a polite way to say the needle was pointing at a number somewhere in the 'oh shit' portion of the speedo..... 🤪

I was also not aware it was so hard to take the cluster apart. Sounds like a bad time either way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Getting ready for the JDM bumper. Had to notch out a few places on the mounts that slide into the frame but otherwise fits great. Since I won't need the muffler tip extensions anymore I picked up some S402 mufflers off the auctions to cannibalize and have the tips welded onto the Invidia for those sweet embossed STI logo's.

IMG_9469.thumb.jpg.c6a6a3a555f838a3689333e5536c5ce6.jpg

In other news and in typical fashion for me, I got inspired, or spiraled depending on who you ask, to start & finish up some long-term desired projects so ordered some more parts from Japan. Going to add the rear seat recline option along with the power fold buttons in the rear cargo trim. Also going to install the JDM cargo fan option, Subaru OEM footwell lighting after swapping LED color, get the power folding mirror harness installed, and finally get the steering wheel controls to work from my 11-14 STI wheel swap I did years ago. Going to have a nice long list of items to update my build thread with.

Hope everyone had a great New Years and Happy Year of the Wagon, sorry Dragon!

Damn man, that looks nice. For a moment I thought "Hey! I'm getting a JDM bumper, I should pick one of them up!"

Then I found the price! Haha! That is some very nice kit dude.

I will see what I can do with my recip saw and mig welder to give the old one a makeover, hah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KZJonny said:

I think it might have been more of a polite way to say the needle was pointing at a number somewhere in the 'oh shit' portion of the speedo..... 🤪

I was also not aware it was so hard to take the cluster apart. Sounds like a bad time either way.

If it reads like mine during the day, it’s scaled 0, 20, 40, nothing, 120, 140, 160. Very useful. I’ll get around to repairing it eventually.

i have a clear lens from a base model OB cluster that I can put on to mitigate the issue temporarily. Just haven’t done that either.

I'm still around, let me know if you have any questions. I work for a personal injury firm now, which is weird seeing how the sausage is made on this side of the fence. 

Total losses are usually based on comps and NADA value. Most companies including USAA use CCC to do their total loss evaluations which just take an average of comps and average it in with book value. It's usually pretty fair. Aftermarket stuff isn't really counted differently than a factory part as an aftermarket part usually has similar cash value to a replacement part from the factory. Sometimes you can add endorsements to your policy to help with that, YMMV. 

Total loss valuations are usually significantly better than what you'd get trading the vehicle into a dealer. Cars like ours with cult status though don't really fare well though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Brought to you by Pfizer

I think I reached my endpoint today. Lifted the front end to start a suspension refresh and power steering pump replace. Saw some oily fluid leak evidence and the inner driver cv boot had split and flung grease around. Must have been recent as it looked ok when the engine was out 2000 miles ago. I'm done working on this thing. Thinking of parting it out or selling. Coming here to get thoughts and experiences on parting a car out. 2005 white wagon with the 5EAT, new 257 short block, reworked heads, JMP VF52 rebuild, new engine wiring harness, all new vacuum and cooling lines, Cobb downpipe and accessport, IAG canister, tuned by Cryotune with 2000 miles on engine. Have all new suspension components to replaced bouncy bits and control arms, and whiteline sway bars. Oh, also has the JDM radio bits. Runs fine, steering pump has starting squeeking on full lock at low speed.

• Sad 4

40 minutes ago, effnakedteeth said:

I think I reached my endpoint today. Lifted the front end to start a suspension refresh and power steering pump replace. Saw some oily fluid leak evidence and the inner driver cv boot had split and flung grease around. Must have been recent as it looked ok when the engine was out 2000 miles ago. I'm done working on this thing. Thinking of parting it out or selling. Coming here to get thoughts and experiences on parting a car out. 2005 white wagon with the 5EAT, new 257 short block, reworked heads, JMP VF52 rebuild, new engine wiring harness, all new vacuum and cooling lines, Cobb downpipe and accessport, IAG canister, tuned by Cryotune with 2000 miles on engine. Have all new suspension components to replaced bouncy bits and control arms, and whiteline sway bars. Oh, also has the JDM radio bits. Runs fine, steering pump has starting squeeking on full lock at low speed.

Either bring a trailer or partout would most likely net highest return for you.

1 hour ago, effnakedteeth said:

Before you rip out the pump replace this part

https://parts.bestbuysubaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-25L-TURBO-5MT-GTOBKXT-WAGON/O-Ring-Connector/49245874/34439FG000.html

It's a common problem caused by a leak from this o-ring. Your pump may be fine. I just fixed my identical issue by replacing this o-ring and used it as an opportunity to flush the PS system and fill with Motul ATF. Now it's buttery smooth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, killjoy323232 said:

No I'm very fortunate that has not happened to me yet. Dreading the day.

Haven't done anything per se but but did purchase the AVO intercooler to throttle body hose. The to do list is getting big while I wait for things to happen: custom grill needs paint, awaiting fresh powder coat on Cusco rear sway bar, awaiting AVO hose to arrive, awaiting park light bulbs to arrive.... 😔

• Like 1

22 hours ago, effnakedteeth said:

I think I reached my endpoint today. Lifted the front end to start a suspension refresh and power steering pump replace. Saw some oily fluid leak evidence and the inner driver cv boot had split and flung grease around. Must have been recent as it looked ok when the engine was out 2000 miles ago. I'm done working on this thing. Thinking of parting it out or selling. Coming here to get thoughts and experiences on parting a car out. 2005 white wagon with the 5EAT, new 257 short block, reworked heads, JMP VF52 rebuild, new engine wiring harness, all new vacuum and cooling lines, Cobb downpipe and accessport, IAG canister, tuned by Cryotune with 2000 miles on engine. Have all new suspension components to replaced bouncy bits and control arms, and whiteline sway bars. Oh, also has the JDM radio bits. Runs fine, steering pump has starting squeeking on full lock 

Cmon you're better than this! Don't quit. Unless you do.. may I have dibs on the trubo please?   Also location of vehicle?   Straight swap this into mine when needed. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, effnakedteeth said:

Take a break! Then create a priority list. Safety first, reliability second, wants third. Don't give up and be glad when you finish one task. Then take another break before taking on the next project. Eventually you will be proud of the work you have accomplished and how much money you saved.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Installed the kartboy shortshifter today. Took 40 mins after an oil change.  (Thanks to an above user for the motiation)   My white plastic cup broke in half tho on install. (I was rough as I read a hammer may be involved & I also had a beer or 3) pushed down a bit with screwdriver then installed retain clip by pushing down a fair bit. Had to follow around with pokes to fully seat.      bet my piece was worn &old already.    Was able to force install & it works fine.   

The lever makes landing in each gear easier & quicker.   Yet the obvi reduced length means less leverage & thus gotta push/pull harder to 'force' a downshift.   

No regrets minus not order all of Kartboy's products-- linkage bushings. Yet seems he does much more also. 

20240104_171433.jpg

20240104_172931.jpg

Edited by 05gtripper
Pix
  • Like 4

A lot of the additional shift linkage bushings create significant NVH in my experience that I’m not always a fan of even though my wagon is a fun car and not a daily driver. I’ve actually been reluctant to install some of the bushings I’ve had on hand for years bc I’m quite happy with the shifting characteristics with just a short shifter.

• Thanks 1

FINALLY got the new wheels/tires mounted.  Sparco Assetto in matte bronze.  18x8 et48, front is perfectly flush with top of fender and mudflaps, rear is set in slightly (no spacers).  Tires are Continental DWS06 in 215/45R18, so the same size as original, just on a wider tire.  Slight stretch look, but within Conti's recommendations for the tire size.  I'm happy.

ps - I even got new tpms so the damn light is off!

PXL_20240105_193746517(1).thumb.jpg.bbd29e19512d1afbf9022ee495820afc.jpg

Edited by SilentJ20
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, SilentJ20 said:

FINALLY got the new wheels/tires mounted.  Sparco Assetto in matte bronze.  18x8 et48, front is perfectly flush with top of fender and mudflaps, rear is set in slightly (no spacers).  Tires are Continental DWS06 in 215/45R18, so the same size as original, just on a wider tire.  Slight stretch look, but within Conti's recommendations for the tire size.  I'm happy.

ps - I even got new tpms so the damn light is off!

PXL_20240105_193746517(1).thumb.jpg.bbd29e19512d1afbf9022ee495820afc.jpg

Looks good. More photo angles please. How did you get the hole below your mirror?

Edited by 310Z
spelling

7 hours ago, 310Z said:

Looks good. More photo angles please. How did you get the hole below your mirror?

Oh, that little CRATER of a ding?  I got that from buying it used!  haha.  Probably should have fixed bodywork before wheels, buuuut...  I didn't.

7 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Looks great. Also what lip is that? I’d love something subtle like it. 

I believe it's this one:  LIP

5 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

It is pretty good looking as far as sedans go. 

Well, thanks?  I guess I'll take it... in my sedan with a 6-speed manual.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Had an alignment done (again) after I accidentally trashed a brand new tie rod end. This concludes the suspension, brake, and drivetrain overhaul. Figured I'd take the opportunity to show off my new wheels as well - picked up these OEM 17x7.5s for 100 bucks in ROUGH shape. Had them repaired/refinished in a satin gunmetal gray and I'm in love with how they turned out. After that they were wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4s. Not gonna lie, I don't miss my 18x8.5 et33s. I guess I'm getting old. Plus, I can hit driveways as hard as I want to with zero rubbing.

I also did away with my old flaps (I think they were called flapattacks or something like that?) and installed new OEM splash guards. Really going for that "OEM plus" look.

-new Bilstein B8s all around, new strut mounts, reused my swift sport springs

-new control arms, lateral links, inner/outer tie rods, end links

-new powerstop pads, new front rotors and calipers

-resurfaced rear rotors and rebuilt rear calipers (what a PITA)

-Flushed brake lines, refilled with Motul DOT 5.1

-installed grimmspeed master cylinder brace

-attempted and failed to install stainless brake lines. Could not get a single flare nut to break free so I'll have to have new hard lines on standby if I attempt that again

-flushed PS system and filled with Motul Dexron III ATF

-new wheel hubs

-new front CV axles

-new kartboy shifter bushings (they were in decent shape for being 15 years old)

-new clutch slave and master cylinders

-new OEM pitch stop

-flushed/refilled trans with Redline GL5

-flushed/refilled rear diff with Subaru HPGO

-replaced damn near every single nut and bolt along the way

Some before and after - 12/30/2017 to 12/29/2023

20231229_074150.jpg

20231209_154541.jpg

20231209_155637.jpg

20231226_131854.jpg

FB_IMG_1514623745095.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/3/2024 at 7:34 AM, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Getting ready for the JDM bumper. Had to notch out a few places on the mounts that slide into the frame but otherwise fits great. Since I won't need the muffler tip extensions anymore I picked up some S402 mufflers off the auctions to cannibalize and have the tips welded onto the Invidia for those sweet embossed STI logo's.

IMG_9469.thumb.jpg.c6a6a3a555f838a3689333e5536c5ce6.jpg

In other news and in typical fashion for me, I got inspired, or spiraled depending on who you ask, to start & finish up some long-term desired projects so ordered some more parts from Japan. Going to add the rear seat recline option along with the power fold buttons in the rear cargo trim. Also going to install the JDM cargo fan option, Subaru OEM footwell lighting after swapping LED color, get the power folding mirror harness installed, and finally get the steering wheel controls to work from my 11-14 STI wheel swap I did years ago. Going to have a nice long list of items to update my build thread with.

Hope everyone had a great New Years and Happy Year of the Wagon, sorry Dragon!

Are these the OEM footwell lights that you have?

IMG_9664.jpeg

• Like 1