LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

After handling an oil change interval I won’t admit to here, clean air filter and second round of Betterman’s fuel injector cleaner in the tank, my DTE currently reads about 20 more miles than previous standard. Small potatoes but CA creeping back towards $6/gal. Damn sunshine tax.  Every bit counts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tehspud said:

Will be embarking on putting in the new radio + JDM air controls/double din adapter this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem unless my electrically-dumb self can't figure out how to wire up the adapter harness properly. 

I did this couple weeks ago. Let me know your thoughts on the brightness of the HVAC display, I think it is pretty dim in the day.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, effnakedteeth said:

I did this couple weeks ago. Let me know your thoughts on the brightness of the HVAC display, I think it is pretty dim in the day.

I've been curious about this.  I did my JDM double din thing years ago and I swear my instrument cluster is dimmer than it was previously.  Anybody else notice this?  

I always drive with my lights turned on, since they turn off with the car.  So I always also hit the little dim button on the clock display thing to make it brighter, but even then, it seems dim.  

Or maybe it's all just in my head.  

I will say to the HVAC display that mine isn't dim, at least not any dimmer than the rest of my instruments.  I got my harness through ...  ae64?  Pretty sure that was it.  

I'll take the slightly dimmer instruments to have my double din any day though.  

• Like 1

Did my JDM dbl din about two and a half years ago, I believe the dimmer hvac display is the universal tradeoff for modernizing the stereo capabilities. Fwiw, my dash instrument dim toggle works well but has zero impact on the hvac brightness. It stays virtually unreadable in the sun. It will dim more if switch turned down but it’s maxed out on bright level. Generally set it before disembarking and just hit the fan buttons as needed. No fun trying to finagle mode on the highway. As w most Legacy quirks, best to just turn up the soundtrack and enjoy the ride. Let’s face it, we’re not driving Teslas. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kojak said:

Did my JDM dbl din about two and a half years ago, I believe the dimmer hvac display is the universal tradeoff for modernizing the stereo capabilities. Fwiw, my dash instrument dim toggle works well but has zero impact on the hvac brightness. It stays virtually unreadable in the sun. It will dim more if switch turned down but it’s maxed out on bright level. Generally set it before disembarking and just hit the fan buttons as needed. No fun trying to finagle mode on the highway. As w most Legacy quirks, best to just turn up the soundtrack and enjoy the ride. Let’s face it, we’re not driving Teslas. 

I have lost sleep thinking about how dim my jdm hvac is. Drives me absolutely nuts and I’ve always wondered if it’s supposed to be this way (I’ve installed 5 all of which were dim)

• Thanks 1

Idk if this has any actual impact, but I always drive with my parking lights on, and I’ll use the brightness toggle during the day on the carputer. Seems to balance the light output better on the JDM dd. Wish my Forester had the same button.

23 hours ago, Kojak said:

After handling an oil change interval I won’t admit to here, clean air filter and second round of Betterman’s fuel injector cleaner in the tank, my DTE currently reads about 20 more miles than previous standard. Small potatoes but CA creeping back towards $6/gal. Damn sunshine tax.  Every bit counts. 

Eh, I think people exaggerate how bad going X mileage on these cars is for an oil change. I have oil analysis to prove that my oil is good as new at 3750 miles with recommendations to go 5K next time. I have no doubt that my oil will still look fine when I send this round of oil in for analysis at 5K.

If you did notice MPG improvements after running the injector cleaner, perhaps it's time to have the injectors professionally cleaned? Might make itself up in value with how high your fuel prices are up there.

• Thanks 1

This happened a month or two ago now, but I've been quite busy. I bought a 6-speed Legacy Spec B transmission from @boxkita. As my shed is full, his shed still keeps it warm :)

I have a new washer fluid pump going in next weekend. I think Surgeline ordered a Fluidampr crank pulley for me as well - a mod I've been sitting on for months and months. Hoping it'll smooth out the power delivery a bit and quiet the car down a bit inside. I'm excited to be able to spray the windshield clean again, but definitely itching to get that pulley in.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pleides said:

This happened a month or two ago now, but I've been quite busy. I bought a 6-speed Legacy Spec B transmission from @boxkita. As my shed is full, his shed still keeps it warm :)

I have a new washer fluid pump going in next weekend. I think Surgeline ordered a Fluidampr crank pulley for me as well - a mod I've been sitting on for months and months. Hoping it'll smooth out the power delivery a bit and quiet the car down a bit inside. I'm excited to be able to spray the windshield clean again, but definitely itching to get that pulley in.

Fluidampr is niiiice. I was skeptical, but  immediately noticed a much smoother idle, and a little less jerkiness on low RPM shifts, etc… If a human can notice the difference on such things, I have to imagine it *is* making a difference in the crankshaft/driveline vibrations we can’t feel….

Fwiw, when my washer pump died, I just swapped the lines temporarily, and used the rear sprayer button for the windshield. Better than nothing until I could replace it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pleides said:

Eh, I think people exaggerate how bad going X mileage on these cars is for an oil change. I have oil analysis to prove that my oil is good as new at 3750 miles with recommendations to go 5K next time. I have no doubt that my oil will still look fine when I send this round of oil in for analysis at 5K.

If you did notice MPG improvements after running the injector cleaner, perhaps it's time to have the injectors professionally cleaned? Might make itself up in value with how high your fuel prices are up there.

Want to share your oil/filter/blackstone results? Always curious.

I use 5w40 Rotella T6 and the Mazda Roki filters and suspect a 5K kilometer OCI is a little more often than needed, but oil testing in Canada isn’t as cheap or easy as for you all below the border.

33 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Want to share your oil/filter/blackstone results? Always curious.

I use 5w40 Rotella T6 and the Mazda Roki filters and suspect a 5K kilometer OCI is a little more often than needed, but oil testing in Canada isn’t as cheap or easy as for you all below the border.

This could be an option for you if you do want to get your own analysis: https://www.toromontcat.com/service/fluid-analysis-services/oil-analysis-program

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

How'd the leggys keep up with the Z? 

No, no. The question to ask is how did the Z keep up with the Leggys? 

I have worked very intimately with Z cars. More notably, the Z32s and Z33s. I saw a handful of Z34s come in. And the shop car was even a 370z Nismo, getting a prototype TT kit from one of the major turbocharger manufacturers. But this one made me look back at it, and I don't even own it. 

It was so clean. 40K miles. KW coilovers. SPL parts underneath. Brembos. Factory Rays wrapped in RE-71r s with H&R wheel spacers to add a chefs kiss the the fitment. A tame Invidia Q300. It was a pretty car to be chased by through the hills. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

6 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

No, no. The question to ask is how did the Z keep up with the Leggys? 

I have worked very intimately with Z cars. More notably, the Z32s and Z33s. I saw a handful of Z34s come in. And the shop car was even a 370z Nismo, getting a prototype TT kit from one of the major turbocharger manufacturers. But this one made me look back at it, and I don't even own it. 

It was so clean. 40K miles. KW coilovers. SPL parts underneath. Brembos. Factory Rays wrapped in RE-71r s with H&R wheel spacers to add a chefs kiss the the fitment. A tame Invidia Q300. It was a pretty car to be chased by through the hills. 

I went through a pretty heavy z car phase in my younger days. Owned about 12 z31’s in total including an AE and 4 z32’s 2 of which were TT’s. I doubt I’ll ever own either again but I will always look at them.

Edited by blackobxt
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blackobxt said:

I went through a pretty heavy z car phase in my younger days. Owned about 12 z31’s in total including an AE and 4 z32’s 2 of which were TT’s. I doubt I’ll ever own either again but I will always look at them.

I’m not sure if you knew that you can run Z32 brakes: 

• Like 1

I need to stay off Buyee (Yahoo JP)...

Picked up a couple of things that @Enlight is going to help ship over, then started a wish list...  not good for my wallet (but good for the car).

I want one of these for a wagon...  But if someone is looking for the black upper trim for a sedan, here you go: https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/t1096908914

i-img1024x768-1687782730mmhmt9966118.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2