LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Mine is so quiet now. Almost seems faster too. Placebo effect has kicked in!

I did also swap my rear sway bushings from whiteline to oem. 19mm is an odd size, so started with the whiteline. So crazy to NOT here the poly squeeks!

Thinking next week i will do some rewiring to fix windows and dash illumination, and swap in my grimmspeed poly exhaust hangers. Hoping those will keep my muffler flanges from hitting my rear sway...

And if all this progress keeps up, i might need to wash it too!

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Didn't get as much done as I would have liked this weekend. Went hiking with the kid and dog Saturday. A front moved through Sunday and brought rain, so that slowed things down. I should have read the directions on the sticky dash fix kit earlier as I would have realized I needed a small foam roller that was not included in the kit, so that didn't get done. Besides checking fluids and air, I only installed the Whiteline KSB630.

50743711828_7d86e4e625.jpg20201220_153429

Got a nice little snow storm this week. Put the snow tires on and went in a beautiful canyon to go sledding with the family.

Helped jump start an econovan. Also pulled a Chrysler van which was stuck in the snow. Pulled it up a gentle slippery slope too. The lady was almost going to cry after all we did to help her. Christmas spirit and subie power :cool:. Too bad I did not take any pictures.

p.s: I have now been carrying a short kinetic type recovery rope and Maxtrax plus shovels too.

IMG_20201229_141111.thumb.jpg.464d3e97a514f541df0aeda38ceae7d5.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

I've been curious and done a lot of reading about recovery. Are you attaching to the hitch? Did you really need to "snatch" or were you able to get it with a basic pull?

I need to get a cheap avy shovel for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply. Took the week off and went on daily excursions :spin:. Just drove 10 miles on the highway and 160 freakin miles on dirt roads to get to the Toroweap Overlook of the Grand Canyon. Freakin awesome. This included 6 miles (total) of 4x4 (easy for them) type trail as well as snowy dirt roads while on Mount Trumbull. Once at the overlook, I was the only subie there. The few vehicles there were either Jeeps or some other trucks.

Anyway, I call it a kinetic rope as it is stretchy. So the pull is somewhat less brutal if you know what I mean. And yeah, I attach the rope to my hitch and try to find a recovery point on the stuck vehicle. It was actually pretty easy to pull that van. It worked right away. It obviously helped that I had proper snow tires too (hakaapeliita 5). Second time I pull someone now with this rope. First time was a Ford econovan stuck in deep snow in MD. Same, it was pretty easy.

We keep watching this guy on youtube doing offroad recoveries. Pretty addictive!

https://youtube.com/c/MattsOffRoadRecovery

This is strange. your leak is happening on the driver side right?

have you checked all the coolant lines connected to the throttle body? there are also coolant lines going from the engine block to the heater core. have you checked those?

Yes driver side. Heater core hoses/area are fine. Had not thought of throttle body. I will check that tomorrow after work.

So, did you figure this out?

Any of you know if a 3.0r for sale in the pacific northwest for under 6g? Sedan or wagon

I don't. Didn't you have one?

I did there for awhile, recently sold it this past summer to another Subaru junkie. Few months later he totaled it in a rear end collision.

I was missing out on the wagon life so I purchase a bh5 wagon for commuting around to keep miles down on my Silverado. Ultimate plan is to trade the silverado for a full size bronco when I can actually see one in person.

Have a nice SUV or just keep my truck. Have the wagon for commuting, then a 3.0r sedan for a somewhat older/luxury sedan. Trying to think of other models of cars that I like under 10g but it's been hard

Appears to be leaking directly above the crossmember on left head. Had some bubbles in the coolant as well. I am off this weekend, so I'll check the coolant for exhaust gasses as well as the aforementioned compression/leak down. I had what sounded like rod knock when I started it to pull it forward Thursday, but it did not repeat when started again 30 min later after jacking it up. Maybe coolant leaking into cylinder over 2 days of sitting. Oil analysis results will be a week out from yesterday.

I just realized I forgot to borrow the nice borescope from work when I left. Dang it. I have been putting off getting a better one for myself. Perhaps this is impetus i needed.

Appears to be leaking directly above the crossmember on left head. Had some bubbles in the coolant as well. I am off this weekend, so I'll check the coolant for exhaust gasses as well as the aforementioned compression/leak down. I had what sounded like rod knock when I started it to pull it forward Thursday, but it did not repeat when started again 30 min later after jacking it up. Maybe coolant leaking into cylinder over 2 days of sitting. Oil analysis results will be a week out from yesterday.

I just realized I forgot to borrow the nice borescope from work when I left. Dang it. I have been putting off getting a better one for myself. Perhaps this is impetus i needed.

So you have concluded head gasket then? That's strange. As far as I can tell, it is a pretty rare occurrence on our engine. How many miles on yours?

I do have combustion gasses in my coolant. Haven't compression/leak down yet.

50k miles on engine, 185k on chassis. From what I understand oem shortblock replacement happened but with questionable work. Before I got the car the engine was pulled by subaru dealer after burning a valve on cylinder 4. That happened with about 20k on the motor. Valve cover started leaking right after head work and was fixed under warranty by subaru. So more questionable work. I guess some part of me is wanting to just go crazy and get an iag stage 2 or closed deck short block and an fp green. Of course then I would need a 6 speed. The 6 speed was next in the plans anyways.