LegacyGT.com

The official 2020 Legacy thread

aac0036

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would have a hard time believing Subaru would brand the 2.4 Turbo as the GT. Everything I have heard so far tells me that the turbo is making its way into the Legacy, so for the guys that want a tunable and "quicker" Legacy, the turbo should be able to do that for you. If they truly do offer a turbo I would spring for it, just for a little more pep in the Legacy. People who have driven the Ascent say it seems fine, so if it goes in a car that's 1000 pounds lighter it should be pretty good. We'll have to wait and see.

It doesn't matter much what they call it, as long as they make it tunable and fun.

The new global architecture will make it more rigid and less boaty, but let it be said that Subaru has zero plans to return to an encore of the more compact and athletic 4th generation Legacy GT, which was meant to punch upmarket to the Audi A4. No. Every generation thereafter has been and will always be a Camry competitor. Secondly, Subaru builds the Legacy only because the Outback exists. That was clear with the 5th gen when the body styling had obviously given priority to the Outback and the Legacy looked hilarious. In the 6th generation they did a better job of consolidating the 2 designs without making it so obvious which had the priority, like they had done with other generations prior. Again, the Legacy is only getting the 2.4T because the Outback is as well. The Outback is the priority and the volume seller here. For the Legacy I don't expect anything other than an Outback minus the hatch, sub frame spacers, body cladding, and long travel suspension. As much as enthusiasts would love for Subaru management to get their heads out of their asses and build a bargain Audi competitor like they used to (and nobody else is making,) now is not the time.

/reality

The Outback is the priority and the volume seller here.

This is the key here. The Outback is currently Subaru's #1 seller (sometimes its a close #2 with the Forester.) I wouldn't be surprised if it is Subaru's most profitable model line. Subaru isn't going to make a A4 size Legacy.Outback model line because it will affect the Outback sales. Outback sales exploded when they increased the size from the compact 4th Gen Legacy platform.

And Subaru actually have a 4th gen sized car in their pocket too - the Levorg. It's as close to the feeling of the 4th gen wagon as you can get.

But for some reason North America has some aversion to wagons unless it's a SUV style.

453747.png

Sadly SoA/SIA not speak Levorg... BSOD and CRC errors galore.

At this point its also too old, on its way out in native market (JDM release in early 2014)...

and sadly no Levorg 2 for North America either. We'll just get BO/BT appliances.

Something like the snooze fest rendering below with/without a de-tuned FA24DIT, meh Honeywell turbo and bean-counter internals,

LSPI, valve carbon buildup and nanny systems galore. J-pipes and E50-70 t00ns are not enough to give it a reliable fun power to weight ratio.

Where are the per-hub electric motors Subaru? MY2025/30?

d017ab43-2020-subaru-legacy-carscoops.jpg

Where are the per-hub electric motors Subaru? MY2025/30?

Is that really a good idea to have per hub electric motors?

It seems to me that it would be a very complex technical solution when you have a mechanical AWD system in place as well and could be very hard to actually control effectively to get a torque balance.

So when you have a mechanical AWD system in place a single central electric motor makes more sense. Especially if the mechanical AWD system works pretty well. Individual wheel motors would be a lot harder to synchronize the same way as a mechanical system allows and unfortunately I have already recognized that the ATS that the vehicles now are offered with isn't as good as the VTD offered in earlier generations as it changes from a mechanical link to a reactive system. A mechanical link is more proactive than reactive - even if it's just based on internal friction.

So things aren't always getting better over time, some good things are actually getting diluted.

453747.png

Agreed, our cars are the perfect example of diluted over time.

Only reason to suggest per hub electric motors has to do with Subaru's potential want to keep S-AWD (or some type of AWD) in the mix once they go electric/boxer hybrid or pure electric. Sticking the electric motor inline with the CVT TC will not cut it.

Per hub would be elegant, give great control, better torque vectoring, etc. and its actually simpler to implement than dual motor setups as seen on Teslas... the tech is there, Subaru would just need to start innovating and embrace being quirky again. Wont ever happen I guess.

Per hub would be elegant, give great control, better torque vectoring, etc. and its actually simpler to implement than dual motor setups as seen on Teslas... the tech is there, Subaru would just need to start innovating and embrace being quirky again. Wont ever happen I guess.

I disagree - the per hub motor looks good in theory until you encounter slippery conditions where the friction quickly varies from wheel to wheel and then an electronic torque variation would not be able to catch up.

Also imagine a per wheel motor - then each wheel has 1/4th of the max torque, but in a mechanical system with a central motor in theory you can get 100% of the max torque to a single wheel.

453747.png

That almost looks good! I just hate the plastic C pillar filler cheat behind the poorly integrated back door, where there should be more glass. A minor quibble perhaps, but then if I'm shelling out over 30 grand for a new car I want the details to be right! I hate that cheat on the new Opel Insignia/Buick Regal, and I hate it here. Hopefully the 2019 BMW 3 Series will keep its Hofmeister kink! :)

The new global architecture will make it more rigid and less boaty, but let it be said that Subaru has zero plans to return to an encore of the more compact and athletic 4th generation Legacy GT, which was meant to punch upmarket to the Audi A4. No. Every generation thereafter has been and will always be a Camry competitor.

How about a Ford Fusion Sport competitor? Maybe not the best time to bring that up, with Ford sadly giving up on the sedan market, but the Fusion is a larger platform with some sportiness. No need to go more compact when you've got the new Impreza basically equal in size to the 4th gen Legacy. They just need to offer a turbocharger on the Impreza Sport's anemic 2 liter boxer!

Back to Legacy biz. I'm impressed with the jump in quality/design of the Impreza/Crosstrek/Forester interiors (they even got on Wards top 10 for the notable improvement,) and hope the Legacy/Outback get a substantial boost as well. The last facelift got them where they really should have been from the beginning of last cycle.

They make an Impreza with a turbocharger, it's called a WRX.

Yeah I just don't understand why the WRX stays on the old platform for years after a new Impreza platform is introduced. Subaru is so weird, and for a company that's always looking to cut costs, I'm surprised they'd keep an old platform around just for the WRX crowd. But that aside, the new Impreza Sport needs a power plant worthy of the Sport moniker.

^haha I don't think the new Legacy will wear a STI badge. However I have heard the new Legacy will offer the 2.4 Turbo, and a hybrid wouldn't surprise me either. I think an AWD Hybrid sedan would boost some sales. I would spring for the Turbo however.

Yeah I just don't understand why the WRX stays on the old platform for years after a new Impreza platform is introduced. Subaru is so weird, and for a company that's always looking to cut costs, I'm surprised they'd keep an old platform around just for the WRX crowd. But that aside, the new Impreza Sport needs a power plant worthy of the Sport moniker.

The WRX, Crosstrek, Forester and Levorg were all built off the Impreza chases.

The SGP Impreza was late release late for 2017 model (sort of 2017 1/2). The SGP Crosstrek for 2018, Ascent & Forester for 2019, Legacy/OB is due to move to the SGP in 2020. WRX in 2020 maybe 2021. It seems that Subaru is staggering the model releases, so they are basically introducing a new model every year.

Plus they've just spent a ton of money developing the Ascent and the new 2.4T engine. I doubt very much is planned for the money making Outback. "Wouldn't want to spoil it now would we." Regardless I think 2020 and 2021 are going to be critical years for enthusiasts in terms of seeing where the brand as a whole is going with their mainstream v. performance oriented offerings.

I have a lot of pent up fury about their choice to make the Impreza and WRX separate chassis, and then making them look about the same and using the same catastrophic 80s interior. Seeing this new global platform Legacy looking largely the same as the old one like they did with the Forester is really annoying.

Archived