LegacyGT.com

The official 2020 Legacy thread

aac0036

I don't want start stop, useless tech

These cars are becoming full of useless tech.

What people don't realize is all this crap that you don't actually need is just adding to reliability problems latter on down the track. Sure its great if you buy a new car and then sell it when its only 5 years old to the next sucker thats going to get all the problems.

Some manufacturers are now more focused on making a home entertainment system on wheels than making an exciting car to drive. Seriously if it had an engine in it like the Porsche GT3, you don't even need a stereo.

Unfortunately its already been pointed out here, there are now to many people that just want to drive an appliance.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far it looks like the Legacy is in many ways better than the previous generation. With an exception of two things which I think most people don't care about anyway.

1. GDI - both turbo and non-turbo engines will have direct injection meaning more carbon build up, although we could've seen this miles away since the rest of the line up was going towards this direction anyway. If GDI is used, the best implementation is the way Toyota does it, which is by using dual injectors that also act as port injectors.

2. Half of the HVAC controls are on screen. Now, I'm totally cool if media/GPS/Carplay/AndroidAuto are touch controlled. However, based on how wonky Subaru infotainment have been in the past, I'm sad that you can't control seat heaters and fan speed with physical buttons. Although most people probably don't care

Onto the good stuff. Apparently the new CVT uses a less viscous oil, making it have at lot less of a drive train loss? I'm not sure if I got this correct. This sounds pretty cool. Though I hate CVTs, it maybe a good thing to try to at least make the best CVT since almost everyone else is going that route.

Remote start. We Canadians love Subarus because the winter here starts at September and ends at September, having a hot car to get into while it's cold as the surface of the Mars certainly makes it a lot better.

Napa Leather seats. Those gorgeous brown Napa leather seats made me pitch a tent in my pants.

Styling. For those who complain about how plain this car looks can STFU, because that's the way we like this car. The Legacy has a handsome look that will look handsome for another 10 years. If you want to see the long term effects of an over styled car, go look at an early 2010s Kia and Hyundai. They looked beautiful at first, now they look hideous.

Subaru only killed manual in Legacy last year in Canada, the 6th gen came in manual. So if somehow we get a manual Legacy XT in Canada, you fellows maybe able to swap trannies, although it seems they are not entertaining that idea anymore...

Edited by mehmed_ii

A bit disappointed in the Impreza like look (which is more like old Corolla/Camry look), I really don't like the pointed mouse nose look. I was really appreciating the 2019 Legacy front, it's like a more tamed WRX:

2019%20Subaru%20Legacy%20(1).jpg

I'm just glad the Ascent and Forester still looks macho, we'll see if Outback follows Legacy instead.

1. GDI - both turbo and non-turbo engines will have direct injection meaning more carbon build up, although we could've seen this miles away since the rest of the line up was going towards this direction anyway. If GDI is used, the best implementation is the way Toyota does it, which is by using dual injectors that also act as port injectors.

There is actually a technical reason for why having both direct injector and port injectors is bad. For NA cars it's fine, but for Turbo cars it causes pre-ignition, because port injected fuel will ignite much sooner in the combustion process then the direct injected fuel.

That's why Subaru didn't use it for the WRX or Ascent either.

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

Wait.... is that the 2019 or the 2020? I can't tell at all.

Not sure if sarcastic, but if sincere here is the 2020:

2020-subaru-legacy-live-photos.jpg

The 2019 is boxier, which is what I personally prefer.

Also perhaps white is not the best color for this style, maybe a darker color will make it be more tolerable.

Oh.... ok. Same car. Got it! :D

Maybe for typical blind sheeple sure, I would expect any current Subaru enthusiast to see the difference. Keep in mind that Subaru started keeping the designs much more related to the previous models. The difference between 2014 Outback and 2015 Outback is tiny too (though I do prefer 2015's look over 2014's still).

With that said, I would buy the 2019 body style with a turbo. I will NOT even consider the 2020 in the current state, MAYBE after they make some mid model redesign tweaks.

Did I decipher the press release correctly? The version of the Legacy with the red stitching, SI-drive stuff and Sport specific rear valance only comes with the NA 2.5?! Someone tell me the Sport model can actually be optioned with the "sporty engine"... :confused:

No. Sport means entry level at it's most basic level. See Forester Sport as an example. Or the older Impreza Sport. Sport means "Enthusiast branded for their wallet" as we all know on here everyone has wanted an STI Legacy at $40k, no $35k, WAIT!!! I'll only buy it after it's been abused and then complain about engine issues like an LGT. :lol: Guys, we don't buy expensive models! Thus, they won't make them. :eek:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

There is actually a technical reason for why having both direct injector and port injectors is bad. For NA cars it's fine, but for Turbo cars it causes pre-ignition, because port injected fuel will ignite much sooner in the combustion process then the direct injected fuel.

That's why Subaru didn't use it for the WRX or Ascent either.

Ahhh I see. As far as NA engines, from past experience with Hyundai GDI NA engine, the thing starts driving like crap after a bit and than you have to get it walnut blasted to drive like normal again. From what I understand in your post, pure GDI is the only way to go for turbo, but there is no reason for it in NA engines? Well, other than squeezing out 1 extra mpg and 3 extra horsepower. :lol:

It doesn't look that bad and the interior improvements are nice and welcomed.

260hp as well as the torque is a little bit disappointing but lets be realistic. Most folks, tree hugers, moms & etc who buy these cars as basic transportation and will be impressed by it.

I will need more technical info as well as pricing to see if I want one. Otherwise back to new upcoming BMW 340 X-drive or another 5 series.

I wouldn't say disappointing, I think the torque number is right on. You can't compare to a 340 xdrive or 5 series they are almost double the price, and cost of maintenance is through the roof.

277 torque is currently higher than what the Honda Accord can punch out so city driving and highway passing is gonna be a breeze.

It even makes more torque than the WRX, so this should be driving far better than the 2019 WRX since it's on a new platform and with a more powerful engine. I don't think people realize how good of a car the new legacy is.

Edited by wankey

I feel sorry for you guys, I hope Subaru comes up with something better for our market.

So glad I have my 2005 3.0R wagon, they have not made a decent replacement since.

If they keep making shit like this I'm afraid I will have to buy an Audi RS 4 Avant when mine finally needs upgrading.

^exactly. you compare it to a camry. Its a subaru AWD camry. its been like this since the 5th gen. did any of you think the 7th gen would be any different?

People are unrealistic and silly.

Camry has 301hp and 267 torque? It's FWD so it can barely put down that power most of the time(see reviews).

Legacy is 260 / 277 torque and routing it through 4 wheels.

I feel sorry for you guys, I hope Subaru comes up with something better for our market.

So glad I have my 2005 3.0R wagon, they have not made a decent replacement since.

If they keep making shit like this I'm afraid I will have to buy an Audi RS 4 Avant when mine finally needs upgrading.

You have a 13 year old car and saying the alternative is to buy a $149,990 – $189,990 money sink.

I'd rather buy a 35k 2.4DIT that's got nappa leather, great tesla like screen, and drives great and spend the other 100k on my kids.

Edited by wankey

The Levorg is what's closest to the 4th gen in size and how it feels to drive in the current model range Subaru offers.

453747.png

People are unrealistic and silly.

Camry has 301hp and 267 torque? It's FWD so it can barely put down that power most of the time(see reviews).

Legacy is 260 / 277 torque and routing it through 4 wheels.

thank you for proving my point. its subaru's AWD take on a camry. exact same target market.

Ahhh I see. As far as NA engines, from past experience with Hyundai GDI NA engine, the thing starts driving like crap after a bit and than you have to get it walnut blasted to drive like normal again. From what I understand in your post, pure GDI is the only way to go for turbo, but there is no reason for it in NA engines? Well, other than squeezing out 1 extra mpg and 3 extra horsepower. :lol:

The valve dirtying is mostly related to oil blowby and EGR. 2015+ WRX's are prone to it and tend to loose gobs of power too, but they still have port injected EGR and don't have any real ways to prevent oil blowby from PCV/valve cover breather systems.

Subaru is claiming they fixed the issue with the Ascent, it seems like through a cam driven vacuum pump or something similar, but it's still too early to tell if it's actually fixed.

You'll have to move to New Zealand for that

Well, technically it's a Legacy 3.6RS tS

Wait, I thought we were just naming things randomly we want to buy. :iam: I don't want to move. Don't me make me move!!!! :eek:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com