LegacyGT.com

The official 2020 Legacy thread

aac0036

To bring this somewhat back on track, (YES, I'm still Alive.) I still have my 12LGT. it just got a new shortblock 3,600 ago. Subaru covered it because i kept nagging and records of when the car was at about 40k. I'm at about 92k now with a new motor. I've been considering replacing my LGT for either a Grand Cherokee Limited or an Infiniti Q50 Sport or Red Sport. another subaru wasn't in contention until i heard of the new Legacy Turbo. We just got a new Ascent for the wife 2 weeks ago and the 2.4 motor is fairly strong. The CVT, i'm not sure i'll ever love it even if it gets better. 8 of my last 9 cars were manual. Now, i know the same engine on the Ascent will feel even stronger and lighter, with better economy, but still, mixed feelings on going to that. Even when i rented a JGC for a few weeks (my car was hit by some young asshat in a nissan truck) i was still reaching for the clutch. i've caught myself doing the same in the Ascent. (yes, i know the Q50 is also Auto) I'm keeping mine until i can make a decision to bite the bullet.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am trying to save money and buy a true performance car, that will be the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. That may happen in 3-4 years time. But if Subaru continues in this direction this might be my last ever Subaru.

I liked the brand, but they haven’t done anything innovative in a long time as far as mechanical stuff goes. Subaru interior and Infotainment have improved big time, just not enough to outweigh the cons.

I don’t mind CVT, but there are so many other transmission types that will help improve performance of cars I am not sure why they aren’t investing in that.

Slowly Hyundai Genesis is becoming the hottest thing out there, I also feel the WRX will finally slowly start declining because Subaru hasn’t done much with the engine in two generations.

Drink every time you hear the words: "quality" "sustainability" and "nature."

Cliffs: It's the 25th anniversary. I was impressed to see them show quite a lot of modded Outbacks in their adventure compilation of owners and their cars. I didn't get all the info but here's some.

DI 182 hp and up to 33 mpg

Dual function X-mode

Nappa leather, heated/cooled seats, heated rear seats.

Keeps retractable cross bars on the roof

8.7" ground clearance

Turbo XT 260 hp 3500 lbs towing "without sacrificing comfort"

Touring with adaptive cruise and lane centering

Onyx edition with black 18" wheels, turbo, water repellant seats, 180 degree forward camera

Android Auto

Available Wi-Fi

Chimani app with national parks guide

Drink every time you hear the words: "quality" "sustainability" and "nature."

Cliffs: It's the 25th anniversary. I was impressed to see them show quite a lot of modded Outbacks in their adventure compilation of owners and their cars. I didn't get all the info but here's some.

DI 182 hp and up to 33 mpg

Dual function X-mode

Nappa leather, heated/cooled seats, heated rear seats.

Keeps retractable cross bars on the roof

8.7" ground clearance

Turbo XT 260 mpg 3500 lbs towing "without sacrificing comfort"

Touring with adaptive cruise and lane centering

Onyx edition with black 18" wheels, turbo, water repellant seats, 180 degree forward camera

Android Auto

Available Wi-Fi

Chimani app with national parks guide

260 mpg? not gonna lie that's impressive

Similar to the approach used to update the 2020 Legacy, Subaru refined the Outback at every level. That started with the car's bones and the Subaru Global Platform. Subaru says the 2020 Outback is 70 percent stiffer in torsional and front-suspension rigidity and 100 percent stiffer in front lateral flex and rear subframe rigidity. The improved structure is also said to be 40 percent more absorbent in front and side crashes.

More exciting is the introduction of multiple XT trims, which come standard with a 2.4-liter turbocharged boxer engine. Like the Legacy, the Outback is getting rid of the 3.6-liter six-cylinder engine in favor of the model's first turbocharged offering since 2009.

It makes 260 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 277 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm, four more horsepower and 30 more lb-ft than the six-cylinder. Subaru notes the 2.4-liter engine offers a 3,500-pound towing capacity, which is an 800-pound improvement and the Outback's highest tow rating ever. It is estimated to get 23 mpg city and 30 mpg highway, compared to the 3.6's 20 mpg city and 27 mpg highway.

All Outbacks come standard with permanent symmetrical all-wheel drive and a Lineartronic continuously variable transmission (CVT) that offer an "eight-speed" manual mode and paddle shifters. Base-model Outbacks continue to use a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated boxer engine, which Subaru says has 90 percent new parts. Its specs increase to 182 horsepower at 5,800 rpm and 176 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm from 175 horsepower and 174 lb-ft in the previous model.

With the slight increases in power comes a lighter and more agile suspension. Up front the Outback will have MacPherson struts with an internal rebound spring and a new 0.9-inch hollow stabilizer bar. In the back, a double wishbone setup with coil springs and a 0.75-inch hollow stabilizer bar. Overall, the Outback maintains its impressive 8.7 inches of ground clearance.

The second shining star of the Outback debut is the available 11.6-inch, which is standard on all but the base trim. It's the focal point of an overhauled interior that comes out the other end much more polished. Subaru says the interior is three decibels quieter at highway speeds, thanks to new weather stripping and thicker insulated glass.

On all 2020 Outback trims, EyeSight Driver Assist Technology is standard, including adaptive cruise control and lane-centering. DriverFocus Distraction Mitigation, WiFi hotspot, responsive headlights, reverse automatic braking, blind-spot detection, lane-change assist, rear cross-traffic alert, and front view monitor are also available. The Outback will be the first vehicle to offer the Chimani app within its infotainment system. Aimed at the car's adventurous demographics, Chimani offers guides and information on all 417 U.S. National Parks.

The 2020 Outback will be available in Base, Premium, Limited, Touring, Onyx Edition XT, Limited XT, and Touring XT trims. The new Onyx Edition adds to the Premium trim with a blacked-out exterior and a trim-specific gray two-tone interior with water-repellant StarTex seats. It also adds a hands-free power gate and the front view monitor.

Pricing has not been announced yet for the new wagon-slash-crossover, but the 2020 Outback will be on sale in the fall.

Archived