LegacyGT.com

The Official Military Thread

BDII

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know this guy Randy? If so pass on my congrats.

I should have prefaced the picture with a; NOT ME :lol:

I have no idea who he is, but the story made me proud.

Killing an enemy with his own weapon? most awesome kill story ever :lol:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I should have prefaced the picture with a; NOT ME :lol:

I have no idea who he is, but the story made me proud.

Killing an enemy with his own weapon? most awesome kill story ever :lol:

hence why I said good job marine and made it as general as possible :lol:

No good war stories here, just the annoying feeling you get every time we had to sit around like a sitting duck to wait for EOD to come out and search an area after an IED went off.

That was always fun. Secure the area, in the heat of the damn day, and wait for EOD to come out and find jack and shit.

Or bust out the mine detectors and start finding all sorts of shit buried in the ground. Then spend all day in the heat of the damn day digging shit up, or posting security, wait for EOD to show up, and then do all the grunt work for them to blow shit up.

That was always fun. Secure the area, in the heat of the damn day, and wait for EOD to come out and find jack and shit.

Or bust out the mine detectors and start finding all sorts of shit buried in the ground. Then spend all day in the heat of the damn day digging shit up, or posting security, wait for EOD to show up, and then do all the grunt work for them to blow shit up.

Also waiting for the corpsman to check every marine out in the blast radius, then waiting in plain sight where it would be a snipers wet dream to pick us off one by one. thankfully that scenario never played out but never liked that feeling.

I was attached to two 10th group teams (0226, 0225) last year in Iraq. Amazing experience.

I was with 10th on active duty (obviously), but I'll leave the ODAs #s off. In the reserves I was with 12th out of Portland, OR, but they later disbanded when all reserve SF moved to National Guard. But, by then I was back on active duty anyway.

I ran a counterinsurgency compound at Camp Taji for two years. There were Group guys there too, but I was a contractor just doing life support for the elements working out of there. Best civilian job I have ever had, and doubt I will ever equal it for pay, independence, and challenge.

Thanks for your service, and glad to hear you had a good experience with us. Sometimes we can be a bit on the serious side--until we get drunk...

• 3 weeks later...

Any advice for those who want to join? More specifically on personal financial side of things. ie bills, bank accounts, car insurance, taxes, etc.

Do I cancel everything prior to going in? Or leave as is until I get back? Set up e-pay?

I have no control over drippie.

Hold on to your accounts until you know where you're gonna be based. Then either pick a local bank or go with Navy Federal or USAA.

IMHO, USAA is the best. You can deposit checks with a smartphone, they refund all foreign ATM fees and have super low interests rates on home loans, auto and personal loans.

They're full service: Checking, savings, life insurance, car insurance, toy insurance, home, rental insurance, home loans, and Investments.

Once you are a USAA member you are always a member.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

this is true. You can also gift membership to your family. Their insurance rates are far cheaper than anyone else. The closest quote I got to what I pay now was more than double my current yearly premium.

You can still stay with navy fed after you leave the service, you just need to show proof of your service whether it be a DD-214 or a VA card.

I have both Navy Fed and USAA. I keep a few bucks in a Navy Fed account so I can keep my membership active. Navy Federal tends to have lower interest rates on loans but doesn't offer auto insurance. Since I like one stop shopping for all my financial stuff I just use USAA.

I joined Navy Federal when they only allowed Navy personnel. If you were in any other branch you had to have orders to a base that only had a Navy Fed ATM/bank to get them. I was headed to Bahrain and was let in. I believe they allow all services now.

Both are great banks. Navy Fed is credit union and USAA is member owned so there are some differences.

Navy Fed has an agreement with Geico that all account holders get a HUGE discount on their premium, honestly it was a bigger discount than I get for being military personel. I had geico before I joined the Marines and when I re registered my car for full insurance when I got to the fleet I had a huge discount, that point in time last year I had 7 points on my license and with the Military Discount + Navy Fed discount my premium was cut in half, lower than before I had any points on my license honestly.

Archived