LegacyGT.com

The Official Military Thread

BDII

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had to go to camp wilson 3 times in the past 12 months that place really blows, only a boot officer would say its great "for all the training" when we did MV before deployment last october our colonel had a hard time keeping a straight face when saying how great it was.

The winter at Parris Island isnt horribly cold, being from NJ that was warm for december, like when we did BWT it was the 2nd week of december and it was about 40 debrees compared to the usual 70-80 it was the past few weeks prior. In january it would fluctuate from the 30's-40's some days and other days be in the 70's

29 Palms get the win for biggest hell hole, especially when you go there just for an op and have to stay in whatever the place out there is called, you know the one with the steel half circle shelters.

We did some tactical ops work-ups with a some Marine units at 29 twigs a few years back...one of the worst places I've ever been assigned TAD, and there's been a lot of them. Not the end of the world, but close enough.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Camp Wilson, home of the dirt floored quonset hut. Luckily for me when I was there virtually no time was spent inside one of these huts. Instead it was spent doing range 400 (the huge rush assault course), or riding around in the back of a damn AAV7 for days on end. Or some other relatively miserable activity that involved being hot, uncomfortable, and pissed off.

The only good memory I have of Twentynine Stumps was getting to do a lot of live fire, including the Dragon Missile. I got to shoot more Dragon rounds the last year they were in inventory than most 0351's before me got to shoot in their entire careers. Too bad it was a pile of shit weapon system, and we only got good with them as they were being phased out.

When I was there for MV (twice) we got put in the hooches with insulation which was pretty hot, but I was also there in june-july for a month for Javelin Thrust to help train reservists for their AT.I was in a hooch with no insulation in it and man was that rough. We had a duty schedule for armory watch that if we had overnight duty you had the next day off to sleep and square yourself away, it was impossible trying to sleep in those hooches during the day i would just end up spending my time in the Armory or the Warrior Zone/PX where there was AC.

• 2 weeks later...
“Myself and another sergeant jumped in a canal to relieve some pressure off an over watch position, and as soon as we did we definitely got their attention,” said Faircloth. “They focused their fire on us, and when they did was when I got shot in the back of the head knocking me out.”

Regaining consciousness, his first thought was of his kids and his Marines, before he immediately resumed command of his section orienting his machine gunners to suppress the enemy positions in order to relieve pressure on the Marines still caught in the ambush kill zone.

“When I first came to, I immediately removed my Kevlar (helmet), so I could save the picture of my kids, before my blood got all over it and I realized the bullet had went through the picture,” said Faircloth. “At that moment, I told myself I wasn’t going to let myself or my Marines die on foreign soil.”

Refusing medical treatment, except to make sure he was still ready to fight, he continued the operation with his section for three days before returning to the battalion aid station.

“When we got back I was told I had a minor concussion and that I had to be grounded for seven days,” said Faircloth. “After 48 hours, I was ready to get back in the fight and leave the (forward operating base).”

At the change of command ceremony, Maj. Gen. John A. Toolan, the former commanding general of 2nd Marine Division and Brooklyn, N.Y., native, recognized the Marines receiving citations and the heroism they portrayed.

“I want you to hear these citations of Cpl. (Jason M.) Hassinger and Staff Sgt. Faircloth and that’s the indication of the type of heroism that goes on every day,” said Toolan. “What is courage? Courage is being able to act in the face of fear and that’s what these Marines did.”

http://www2.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/West-Virginia-Marine-awarded-Bronze-Star-for-heroic-actions-in-combat.aspx#.UEuTHIVPI1i

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

• 2 weeks later...
Hassinger, 24, was recognized for his actions in northern Marjah on March 5, 2011, while with 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines. While he was serving as fire team leader during a patrol, Hassinger’s squad was ambushed by insurgents. Air support was not immediately available, and some of the Marines were trapped.

Hassinger said those trapped were pinned down, faces in the dirt. So he led his section through the gunfire to reach them.

“We split off into two teams, and I was in what we called ‘peanut butter fields’ — just really heavy, sticky brown mud that is hard to walk through after it rains,” he said. “You try to stay out of that, so I was walking down this dirt path and was shot right in the chest. I checked myself to make sure it didn’t go through my plate.”

Hassinger was shot three more times in the chest, protected by his body armor, he said. He wasn’t going to give up, he added, his muscle memory and training taking over.

“I eventually got behind a wall and loaded a 203 into my grenade launcher,” Hassinger said. “I said a prayer and popped out to fire. I aimed straight for the murder hole they were firing from and got back behind the wall. I popped back out to return fire and everything just ceased from there.”

Hassinger then reorganized the squad, repeatedly refusing medical evacuation, his award citation states. Eventually, he collapsed, having suffered internal bruising and bleeding, he said.

Maj. Gen. John Toolan, the former commander of 2nd Marine Division, presented Hassinger with his Silver Star on Aug. 23, aboard Camp Lejeune, N.C.

n Oct. 4, nearly seven months to the day after Hassinger’s battle, Haralovich, then a team leader with 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, was on foot patrol when his unit was engaged by multiple insurgents. Haralovich took charge, splitting his team in two and maneuvering toward the enemy, according to his award citation.

As the Marines moved, the insurgents — still concealed — began firing machine guns from less than 250 feet away, the citation states. Two rounds slammed into Haralovich’s body armor and gear.

His Marines responded instinctively, moving toward him to help, the citation states. But he ordered them to get to covered positions as enemy fire intensified.

While his Marines moved, the staff sergeant did, too. He found a position that gave him an advantage and launched a rocket at the ambush position, destroying it. The Marines were then on the move again. As the insurgents withdrew, Haralovich led his Marines to flank their first position, forcing them to withdraw further. For two more hours, he led his platoon in pursuit of the enemy forces.

Haralovich could not be reached for comment.

Neither Haralovich nor Hassinger has remained on active duty.

Last September, Hassinger changed over to the Individual Ready Reserve. He is living in Philadelphia, where he works as a national service officer with Disabled American Veterans.

Haralovich is also on the reserve side, serving with 4th Reconnaissance Battalion.

• 4 months later...

Revised Oath of Enlistment for all branches of the military.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

US AIR FORCE OATH OF ENLISTMENT:

"I, (State your name), swear to sign away 4 years of my life to the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE because I know I couldn't hack it in the Army, because the Marines frighten me, and because I am afraid of water over waist-deep if I were to join the Navy or the Coast Guard. I swear to sit behind a desk. I also swear not to do any form of real exercise, but promise to defend our bike-riding test as a valid form of exercise. I promise to walk around calling everyone by their first name because I find it amusing to annoy the other services.

I will have a better quality of life than those around me and will, at all times, be sure to make them aware of that fact. After completion of "Basic Training", I will be a lean, mean, doughnut-eating, Lazy-Boy sitting, civilian-wearing-blue-clothes, Chair-borne Ranger. I will believe I am superior to all others and will make an effort to clean the knife before stabbing the next person in the back. I will annoy those around me, and will go home early every day. So Help Me God!"

X____________________

Signature

Date

US ARMY OATH OF ENLISTMENT:

"I, Rambo, swear to sign away 4 years of my mediocre life to the UNITED STATES ARMY because I couldn't score high enough on the ASVAB to get into the Air Force, I'm not tough enough for the Marines, and the Navy won't take me because I can't swim. I will wear camouflage every day and tuck my trousers into my boots because I can't figure out how to use blousing straps. I promise to wear my uniform 24 hours a day even when I have a date.

I will continue to tell myself that I am a fierce killing machine because my Drill Sergeant told me I am, despite the fact that the only action I will see is a court-martial for sexual harassment. I acknowledge the fact that I will make E-8 in my first year of service, and vow to maintain that it is because I scored perfect on my PT test. After completion of my Sexual.....er.....I mean "Basic Training," I will attend a different Army school every other month and return knowing less than I did when I left. On my first trip home after Boot Camp, I will walk around like I am cool and propose to my 9th grade sweetheart. I will make my wife stay home because if I let her out she might leave me for a better-looking Air Force guy. Should she leave me twelve times, I will continue to take her back. While at work I will maintain a look of knowledge while getting absolutely nothing accomplished. I will arrive to work every day at1000 hrs because of morning PT and leave everyday at 1300 to report back to "COMPANY."

I understand that I will undergo no training whatsoever that will help me get a job upon separation, and will end up working construction with my friends from high school. I will brag to everyone about the Army giving me $30,000 for college, but will be unable to use it because I can't pass a placement exam. So Help Me God!"

X_____________________

Signature

Date

US NAVY OATH OF ENLISTMENT:

"I, Top Gun, in lieu of going to prison, swear to sign away 4 years of my life to the UNITED STATES NAVY, because I want to hang out with Marines without actually having to BE one of them, because I thought the Air Force was too "corporate," because I didn't want to actually live in dirt like the Army, and because I thought, "Hey, I like to swim...why not?" I promise to wear clothes that went out of style in 1976 and to have my name stenciled on the butt of every pair of pants I own. I understand that I will be mistaken for the Good Humor Man during summer, and for Nazi Waffen SS during the winter. I will strive to use a different language than the rest of the English speaking world, using words like "deck, bulkhead, cover, geedunk, scuttlebutt, scuttle and head," when I really mean "floor, wall, hat, candy, water fountain, hole in wall and toilet."

I will take great pride in the fact that all Navy acronyms, rank, and insignia, and everything else for that matter, are completely different from the other services and make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I will muster, whatever that is, at 0700 every morning unless I am buddy-buddy with the Chief, in which case I will show up around 0930. I vow to hone my coffee cup-handling skills to the point that I can stand up in a kayak being tossed around in a typhoon, and still not spill a drop. I consent to being promoted and subsequently busted at least twice per fiscal year. I realize that, once selected for Chief, I am required to submit myself to the sick, and quite possibly illegal, whims of my newfound "colleagues." So Help Me Neptune!"

X______________________

Signature

Date

U.S. COAST GUARD OATH OF ENLISTMENT:

"I, (State your name), swear to sign away 4 years of my life to the UNITED STATES COAST GUARD because I know being in the real military scares me. However, I swear to defend our position as the fifth branch of the Armed Services, although at one point we were under the Department of Homeland Security. I understand that at least twice a day, someone will refer to me as a member of the Air Force or Navy, and when I correct them, they will question my military status. I will work on boats the size of kayaks and small yachts and that are decorated with a huge orange stripe across the bow of them, during the worst of natures storms, and receive no thanks or notice form the public. I will rarely, if never, EVER, have the opportunity to travel overseas. I will fly in helos into the eye of the storm to rescue people dumber then rocks, and then be heckled by the same people when I bust them for transporting drugs two months later.!

I will come in contact with so many pollutants during my tenure, that I will glow in the dark for the rest of my natural life and refer to myself as "salty" because of it.

I will do my best to work 8 to 3, with a two hour lunch, on normal days, and have my pager and cell phone surgically attached, SO HELP ME GOD. I will prevent thousands of gallons of pollution, but be accused of impeding the economy when I won't allow vessels to pour oil into the ocean. I will be the red-headed step child to all of the other services, although I know I got the better deal. All of my equipment will be discarded Navy property. I will use most of my time in the Coast Guard to take college classes, and perfect my web surfing abilities, then complain that I work too much. I will perfect avoiding PT at all costs, and do my best to attend training that will give me a great competitive edge in the career field of my choice, making retention efforts of the Coast Guard pointless.

X______________________

Signature

Date

US MARINE CORPS OATH OF ENLISTMENT:

"I, (pick a name the police won't recognize), swear..uhhhh....high-and-tight.... grunt... cammies....kill....

fix bayonets....charge....slash....dig....burn....

blowup....ugh...Air Force women....beer.....

sailors wives.....air strikes....

SIR yes SIR!....whiskey....liberty call....salute....

Ooorah Gunny....grenades...women....OORAH!

So Help Me Chesty PULLER!"

X____________________

Thumb Print

XX _________________________________

Teeth Marks

Date

Archived