LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I'm running 245/40/18 on OZ 18x8 rims....when I first got these wheels I ran 235/40/18 but didn't like the look or the feel, and there was more chance of rim strikes against curbs. I think the 245's are the best choice.

CDfn5H0.jpg

That would give me a good chuckle :lol:

For sure haha. And yeah, it was more of a thought experiment as mentioned. As I said, I've been wanting a truck for a bit and since I'm familiar around Subarus since my last 3 have been one I started peaking at baja lifted set ups. Which led me to Brat lifted set ups. Which then led me to all sorts of dark and dangerous things in the internet rabbit hole :lol: But the Camino really does share some of that "look" which is why my brain wondered what a boxer and AWD drivetrain would spec out to. But of course all points are very valid haha a lot of fab work and cost. Buuuttt. who is in the car scene for the cost savings!!?? :iam:

Also, Scooby Guy's front yard looks like a putting green.

Amazing.. need it.

I would not call it similar frame. El'Camino use a full frame and the Baja uses a sub frame. There going to be allot of fab work involved. The weight on the El'Camino is very heavy. Not sure if the Subaru boxer will be the ideal motor for it. Even if you can drop the boxer motor in. You know how much room (space) you will have in the El'Camino engine bay compartment?

I'm sorry if I got off the wrong foot here. I'm trying to understand why?

In my post right before this I used the word "look" lol my initial post did say Frame, but I didn't mean to imply that level of similarity. Just mean 2 door with a truck bed (Brat+baja). No why.. Just do! :lol: Late night rabbit hole of a thought process. And when I saw the more legit conversations regarding track builds it made me chuckle in shame

I'm running 245/40/18 on OZ 18x8 rims....when I first got these wheels I ran 235/40/18 but didn't like the look or the feel, and there was more chance of rim strikes against curbs. I think the 245's are the best choice.

CDfn5H0.jpg

Are you on the stock suspension? Any reason you went 40 instead of the stock 45?

Concur, the 245 is going to be more squared off than the 235.

Also, Scooby Guy's front yard looks like a putting green.

That is a real nice yard!

Thanks, I want a more squared look too.

Are you on the stock suspension? Any reason you went 40 instead of the stock 45?

That is a real nice yard!

Thanks, I want a more squared look too.[/quote

In Canada the stock size on a 3.6R is 225/50/17..... 245/40/18 is the closest circumference to that....245/45/18 would have been well oversize :(

BTW....I have worked in the golf industry for the past 30 years so growing nice grass in kind of a given for me ;)

kGpbR3i.jpg

X1Zz1Ox.jpg

Edited by Scooby Fan

For what it's worth, the difference between my 225/45R18 snow tires and my 245/45R18 (~3/4" larger diameter) summers is pretty noticeable in the butt dyno. I'm sure the extra weight of the wider tire has something to do with that, and even though my 18"x8.5" Enkei Raijins are 4.4lb lighter than the stock wheels, most of that is probably in the spokes (ie. not making as big of a difference as far as moment of inertia). I'm going to be due for a new set of summers pretty soon, and I'll probably be going with a 245/40 this time around. The 45 aspect ratio fits, looks good, doesn't rub (+45 offset), and adjusts the speedo to match GPS dead on, but, well, racecar...

Thanks Scooby, that makes total sense! I have been back and fourth over the numbers of so many wheels I forgot to check that one the last go around. That would stand true for my stock wheel to aftermarket wheels as well. The 40 profile is closer to my stock profile after the wider wheel and wider tire.

I bought the car with snow tires and the previous owner had put 225/50 18 (I thought 50 was stock till looking for new wheels/tires) on it, so when I put the 25mm spacers on it rubbed a bit, but I think with the 245/40 18 set up I would have ample room and might not bottom out on that rolling bump on my way to work that I might take a little too fast sometimes.

Thanks for the help lining up all the numbers in my head.

I have the ole girl at the window tint shop currently.:)

For what it's worth, the difference between my 225/45R18 snow tires and my 245/45R18 (~3/4" larger diameter) summers is pretty noticeable in the butt dyno. I'm sure the extra weight of the wider tire has something to do with that, and even though my 18"x8.5" Enkei Raijins are 4.4lb lighter than the stock wheels, most of that is probably in the spokes (ie. not making as big of a difference as far as moment of inertia). I'm going to be due for a new set of summers pretty soon, and I'll probably be going with a 245/40 this time around. The 45 aspect ratio fits, looks good, doesn't rub (+45 offset), and adjusts the speedo to match GPS dead on, but, well, racecar...

I mean it wasn't supposed to be, but this car turned into a race car, so I'll be joining you with the 245/40 18's.:)

I'm hoping I notice the lighter wheel a bit. The stockers are around 25.4lbs and the TSW's are 18lbs... I hope the 7+lbs lighter makes a little difference.

Anyone have any good suggestions for tires? I'm not going to be using the car in the snow, so I don't need all season tires. I would like something with decent wear and grip. I will be doing spirited driving and don't plan on tracking the car at this point.

I was looking at the Continental DWS06, but it's an all season and I'm not sure if that matters at all for my needs or if there's a better option. I would like to stick around that $700 dollar mark for the tires.

.I have worked in the golf industry for the past 30 years so growing nice grass in kind of a given for me ;)

If you ever make it to Kansas City, mine could use some CPR.

For what it's worth, the difference between my 225/45R18 snow tires and my 245/45R18 (~3/4" larger diameter) summers is pretty noticeable in the butt dyno. I'm sure the extra weight of the wider tire has something to do with that, and even though my 18"x8.5" Enkei Raijins are 4.4lb lighter than the stock wheels, most of that is probably in the spokes (ie. not making as big of a difference as far as moment of inertia).

I have stock wheels and 18x8 Enkei Raijins both on stock sized tires. The Raijins feel noticeable quicker when I do the switch in the spring.

Anyone have any good suggestions for tires? I'm not going to be using the car in the snow, so I don't need all season tires. I would like something with decent wear and grip. I will be doing spirited driving and don't plan on tracking the car at this point.

I was looking at the Continental DWS06, but it's an all season and I'm not sure if that matters at all for my needs or if there's a better option. I would like to stick around that $700 dollar mark for the tires.

I have Continental DW06, I don't remember what they cost new. I like them and plan on buying another set. They are better than the summer Dunlops that WRX's come with.

I have been using Continental's ExtremeContact Sports (the summer-only version of the DWS06's), and have liked them but will be switching to something else at the end of their life (the end of this summer). They have plenty of grip for spirited driving, and probably enough for a "gentle" track day. Wear is good on the street, but picks up fast if you slide them. My only major complaint are the sidewalls... they are very soft. My General Altimax winter tires with over an inch more sidewall (overall) feel stiffer when you lean on them.

Thanks coco, I was wondering about the extreme contact sports.

I think I'll just stick with the DW06's I had originally thought of. I want to get these things ordered, so I can wait the 2-3 weeks for delivery... some people seem to be spending their stimulus checks on their cars...:) Fitment Industries stopped taking orders for the month because they are so back logged... damn!

This may sound crazy to you but my summer tires are Kinforest KF550....they are surprisingly good tires at bottom prices. Go read reviews before you automatically dismiss them. This is my 3rd season with them and I still have plenty of great tread left and plenty of grip. They aren't noisy at all and again...dirt cheap.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

I'll keep that in mind, but in the mean time....you better take care of it............The secret is "Fertilize,water,mow"...repeat....repeat....repeat ;)

Good to know. I have a maple in the front and a Labrador in the back. Neither play well with grass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As someone who did landscaping and lawn treatments through high-school and college, I learned quite a bit. The most surprising thing was how often you need to mow or as I prefer to say, groom your yard. But the more you do, the more you need to feed it thru fertilizer/compost/overseeding etc. A catch 22. If you just keep mowing, it'll burn out.

Side random and creepy note, this article showed up in Chrome with some Subaru truck fabs. https://www.carscoops.com/2020/05/subaru-wrx-pickup-actually-looks-good-who-would-have-thought/amp/

Seems I'm not the only one to have dreamt this.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I been thoroughly scouring this fourm for the past 2 1/2 years and recently started making performance mods to my10 LGT....during my research I keep reading about racerX parts but can't find reference to it anywhere else on the web....

Ummmm......What happened to racerX?

Seemed like an option worth exploring but no products in sight....what did it miss?

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

For a while I had put stickers all around my car, but I had to take all of them off today since I will possibly be trading my car in soon. Just a little advice: NEVER put stickers on the paint. It's a pain to get them off while not trying to damage the paint :icon_mad:. I was using Goo-Gone and an old pre-paid gift card. I ended up also having to use my fingers to peel them off too. Never again will I ever put stickers on the paint of a car, only the windows...

For a while I had put stickers all around my car, but I had to take all of them off today since I will possibly be trading my car in soon. Just a little advice: NEVER put stickers on the paint. It's a pain to get them off while not trying to damage the paint :icon_mad:. I was using Goo-Gone and an old pre-paid gift card. I ended up also having to use my fingers to peel them off too. Never again will I ever put stickers on the paint of a car, only the windows...
You must be young. Lol! Stickers go on windows ONLY! As you found out. Lol!