LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

hnnnng imola yellow, there needs to be a drool icon. those 1.8ts are shockingly fun little engines just do your got dang timing belts early, and don't use OEM. i had 1 snap after 60k miles, and it was not at all uncommon for that to happen. i hope you can roll that front bumper back to the oem with votex kit, looks sooo much better than the r bumper, and i hope you can get the OEM recaros back, they're sooooo comfy.

good luck with it, i miss the absolute pants off my old gti, and they're getting harder and harder to find in decent shape. just keep up on their maintenance, they're no joke. i am super jealous.

as an aside, that GTI was the reason i bought my subaru, because i heard about their legendary reliability. i had full bolt ons for about 3 years and the car was a joy(though still maintenance heavy, and i had to replace the head because of a snapped timing belt...), when doing the head i decided to roll with a audi tt225 k04 turbo swap and supporting mods for it, and it was just a pig since then on. everything started breaking everywhere, and being fresh from dropping out of college and having that debt to pay, even working a halfway decent job at a call center, i couldn't afford the repairs anymore and had to get rid of it. i've had my fair few cars, but that one and my first subaru are the only 2 that i'm sad i don't have anymore.

Edited by creep_nu

My neighbor is a retired mechanic. I see quite a few VWs he has been working on/or own. A lot of old bugs actually. He has a race trailer with a VW in it.. really curious as to what. Have only chatted him up 2 or so times since I moved in so not quite there yet :D I'm hoping he has a lift in his garage lmao

hnnnng imola yellow, there needs to be a drool icon. those 1.8ts are shockingly fun little engines just do your got dang timing belts early, and don't use OEM. i had 1 snap after 60k miles, and it was not at all uncommon for that to happen. i hope you can roll that front bumper back to the oem with votex kit, looks sooo much better than the r bumper, and i hope you can get the OEM recaros back, they're sooooo comfy.

good luck with it, i miss the absolute pants off my old gti, and they're getting harder and harder to find in decent shape. just keep up on their maintenance, they're no joke. i am super jealous.

as an aside, that GTI was the reason i bought my subaru, because i heard about their legendary reliability. i had full bolt ons for about 3 years and the car was a joy(though still maintenance heavy, and i had to replace the head because of a snapped timing belt...), when doing the head i decided to roll with a audi tt225 k04 turbo swap and supporting mods for it, and it was just a pig since then on. everything started breaking everywhere, and being fresh from dropping out of college and having that debt to pay, even working a halfway decent job at a call center, i couldn't afford the repairs anymore and had to get rid of it. i've had my fair few cars, but that one and my first subaru are the only 2 that i'm sad i don't have anymore.

Yeah the got dang pump and belt was done 8k miles ago haha. Clutch at 30k miles, front shocks at 50k miles. It's had the suspension bushings, tierods, balljoints etc refreshed at some point since purchased new. It handles like a champ. I think that massive intercooler is slowing down the boost build though it seems to take a two seconds before it hits peak. It's only pushing 15psi and I think he had it tuned on 89 octane.

My plan is K04 turbo, upgrade side mount intercooler, injectors, 3" downpipe and 3" catback etc. I'm debating about turning on Sunoco GT 260. I can easily get it in town, the city I work and all over this part of this state. I'll only be driving it 8 months out of the year and probably 200 miles a week or so.

I found seats from a dude in Wisconsin. I'm possibly picking them up here Sunday. We're gonna meet half way, he wants the race seats. Already messaged a local vinyl wrap place to see what it'd run to get the front bumper wrapped, if we can color match wrap it even better. My buddy offered to buy it once I get an official bumper though. Honestly might be cheaper to find a used bumper, get it painted then sell that one instead of wasting time. I really dislike the camo wrap though.

Yeah the got dang pump and belt was done 8k miles ago haha. Clutch at 30k miles, front shocks at 50k miles. It's had the suspension bushings, tierods, balljoints etc refreshed at some point since purchased new. It handles like a champ. I think that massive intercooler is slowing down the boost build though it seems to take a two seconds before it hits peak. It's only pushing 15psi and I think he had it tuned on 89 octane.

My plan is K04 turbo, upgrade side mount intercooler, injectors, 3" downpipe and 3" catback etc. I'm debating about turning on Sunoco GT 260. I can easily get it in town, the city I work and all over this part of this state. I'll only be driving it 8 months out of the year and probably 200 miles a week or so.

I found seats from a dude in Wisconsin. I'm possibly picking them up here Sunday. We're gonna meet half way, he wants the race seats. Already messaged a local vinyl wrap place to see what it'd run to get the front bumper wrapped, if we can color match wrap it even better. My buddy offered to buy it once I get an official bumper though. Honestly might be cheaper to find a used bumper, get it painted then sell that one instead of wasting time. I really dislike the camo wrap though.

making all the right moves already haha, good man. the R bumper really isn't bad, though yeah obviously the camo wrap needs to go, but if you can get it color matched it would actually look pretty good, i just have a soft spot for that votex lip, looks like a pouty child sticking its bottom lip out. definitely agree on going the sidemount...the front mount i had had such a massive pressure drop across the core, and i suspect yours does as well, that it's just not worth it. a thick sidemount works just fine and keeps the temps down.

k04 is going to be nutty, especially if you tune it on 100 oct. i just had it tuned for 93 and it flew, actually held boost past 5.5k...traction in first gear was squirrely at best, chirp in 2nd and 3rd no problems.

The GT should be finished up at the body shop tomorrow. I'll be happy to have it back. The Altima is ok, but I would not want one as a daily.

Edit:

Before

811001ee72967dcc5596e4b99454bf7a.jpg

After

d7432169d99cd65228129558aef399ba.jpg

This is the best the whole car has looked since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago.

Edited by Falcor

Bet your credit score went up since then or if you've had any other claims.

No claims and my credit score is still excellent. (My free credit score on my credit cards are between 825-850).

My friend theorized that the red GT has navigation while my white does not so it was a little more expensive of a car when new. The ‘12 has a higher book value now though.

That's interesting. My '11 has NAV also, but I also have house, life, and 2 cars on our insurance. That probably helps bring the premium down. I think it's around $100 a month for $250 deductible.

dang, $100/mo...my leggy and TL are both covered for $89/mo...leggy has full coverage, TL has liability only. guess higher mileage(getting nigh on to 160k) helps, and having house insurance through them as well helps, but...that's a lot.

dang, $100/mo...my leggy and TL are both covered for $89/mo...leggy has full coverage, TL has liability only. guess higher mileage(getting nigh on to 160k) helps, and having house insurance through them as well helps, but...that's a lot.
Different states and areas have different statistical data for cost. It's hard to compare rates across the country. We pay $1000/6months for 3 vehicles with full coverage and $500 deductibles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is 1 or 2 weeks after my headlight restoration and what you’re seeing is the clear coat/uv protection peeling off.

This is the stuff I've used on like 6 different sets of headlights, and it seems to work well. It's never peeled off on me.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17804-Clear-Headlight-Coating/dp/B01M4RVVX6

remove the connectors and hard solder it in?

What model is the TV?

Vizio e60-e3. I read online about their led issues. Thought that was it it, until I swapped it out with new ones.

So I went through my junk drawer and found some connectors that might fit. Ironically it’s wires from my old boost gauge set up lol. Going to see if I can splice it tonight before I resort hard solder.