LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Does anyone have any thoughts on the purpose of the rubber sleeves on our brake caliper slide pins? I was talking to a mechanic familiar with subaru's and he said they only hold moisture and cause the pin to corrode, so I removed them when I did a brake job in the fall.

Yesterday helping my roommate work on his mini cooper brakes, I noticed they have a rubbery plastic section on the pins that are specifically for taking up the slop in the hole. I've been trying to hunt down a rattling noise, and I'm wondering if ours could serve the same purpose.

They put it on there for a reason. What that is, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't take it off. Especially when it's brake related...

It might be your noise. Best bet is to put it back on and you get a chance to double check everything.

ibr_adam09 is probably right

Edited by MarcoLGT

I wonder if it's to aide in preventing a harmonic vibration in the pad. Stop brake squealing. I have had them in different fleet trucks over the years too.

I have had plenty of seized slide pins within that time, but never any that had the rubber bushing, so I don't know if I agree that it traps moisture or debris. The solid pins with the three small flats are the ones I see have issues. I have had to heat and beat them with an air hammer many times to get them free.

Came across that bit when replacing my slide pins and boots as well when I had some sticking issues. Anti rattle sounds about right.. seems like it just plumbs everything up even since the bolt is only threaded on a portion of it (I think?) or at least only partially housed in the caliper bolt hole.

Drove the car yesterday morning for the first time in a few weeks... felt weird lol friendly reminder that if you're isolating and not going anywhere, drive the car around the block to cycle fluids and battery. :)

Drove the wife's Forester yesterday, felt like I was getting motion sickness by the end of the street. That never happens, very weird feeling.

Pulled the battery on the Legacy and put on the trickle charger. It hasn't moved since March 21st with the exception of my buddy taking it for a wash and clean up inside for my birthday. Said he gave it a rip, first time he drove it.

It hasn't moved since March 21st

I hear ya! Since March 12, I haven't driven more than an extended grocery run. The wife has been driving miss leggy since I've been sequestered into our isolated brick box of safety. Can't say I get the same personal enjoyment, but its a damn fine looking pair pulling into the driveway...

I never thought I'd miss my commute this much. Despite the seven-star forum, I don't think its even the car. Regardless, I'll be extra sure to take the windy way home once things are back to normal.

Since my work has closed its office and I started remote working, I have driven my Outback twice to the grocery store and I have driven my Legacy GT around the block. I spare my LGT from driving in salt, so I have driven it only about 300 miles since the beginning of November. I haven't put gas in any of my cars since the 1st week of march.

I'm in the middle of my e tune with Cryo Tune, so I've been putting in some miles on the LGT lately. I think we are getting ready to switch to corn soon!

You guys are missing out on all this cheap gas right now... here at least. I think regular is at around $1.30/gal and I saw $.89/gal just outside of town.

I'm in the middle of my e tune with Cryo Tune, so I've been putting in some miles on the LGT lately. I think we are getting ready to switch to corn soon!

You guys are missing out on all this cheap gas right now... here at least. I think regular is at around $1.30/gal and I saw $.89/gal just outside of town.

I've got kids and nowhere to go, so not much choice here, lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My LGT is up on stands and it looks like it’ll be that way for the next few weeks since I’m going to leave it in the garage here at the WV cabin and drive my truck back to NoVA tomorrow. So I’m not putting miles on the LGT, and am spending less coin on day to day stuff as well. Cooking in and no buying lunch at work. Adds up. Now what to do? Save for the kid’s college fund, or buy more Cusco? Hmmmm...

I'm having a possible buyer look at my Legacy tomorrow... I might be able to dump my car for a lot and buy a bit of an older Acura/Infiniti and have spare money for parts/repairs.

You should mention the oil leak to potential buyer. You don't want an irate buyer to show up at your house a week later.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the purpose of the rubber sleeves on our brake caliper slide pins?

Update: Bought some new ones and put them in today. Fixed my issue. It seems like there was a fair bit less NVH overall that I apparently had gotten used to. I love cheap fixes, even if it took replacing the entire suspension to narrow the causes down :rolleyes:

Took Scooby Too's 2.5i Leggy in for an oil change a few days ago and the tech called me over to show me that the right rear sway bar end link was "broken"....well it wasn't actually broken but the nut at the top had backed off almost to the end of the threads which allowed the end link to sit at an angle and seemed about to come off. He said he tried to tighten it but could not get it to move due to all the "corrosion" in the threads.

I took it home and put it on my ramps and soaked the top of the link with penetrating oil and let it sit until today..... Went back under the car and took the nut off (Easily) and then pulled the end link...also easily....it appeared to be in good shape and just took it into my shop and wire brushed all the dirt outta the threads.....put it back on the car and snugged up all the fittings....all good from what I can see.

Has anyone else had an end link top nut just back itself off like that?

BTW the car has a 19mm STi rear bar and has had it on for about the last 10,000 Km....no previous issues and no abnormal sounds :)

Took Scooby Too's 2.5i Leggy in for an oil change a few days ago and the tech called me over to show me that the right rear sway bar end link was "broken"....well it wasn't actually broken but the nut at the top had backed off almost to the end of the threads which allowed the end link to sit at an angle and seemed about to come off. He said he tried to tighten it but could not get it to move due to all the "corrosion" in the threads.

I took it home and put it on my ramps and soaked the top of the link with penetrating oil and let it sit until today..... Went back under the car and took the nut off (Easily) and then pulled the end link...also easily....it appeared to be in good shape and just took it into my shop and wire brushed all the dirt outta the threads.....put it back on the car and snugged up all the fittings....all good from what I can see.

Has anyone else had an end link top nut just back itself off like that?

BTW the car has a 19mm STi rear bar and has had it on for about the last 10,000 Km....no previous issues and no abnormal sounds :)

One of my OEM ones was loose when I decided to swap in the moog set I had in my parts collection. I should probably check it again now that I am thinking about it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Update: Bought some new ones and put them in today. Fixed my issue. It seems like there was a fair bit less NVH overall that I apparently had gotten used to. I love cheap fixes, even if it took replacing the entire suspension to narrow the causes down :rolleyes:

At least it's fixed now! Always the worst chasing down rattles.

I'm going to check it again in a few days and see if it has moved again....if it has I will find a way to lock it in place...maybe a small cotter pin through the nut and end link? Maybe some Loctite Red ;)

It happens, saw a tech at work just throw on some red loctite.

Thinking about picking up a 1985 Celica Supra and swap in a Lexus 1UZ 4.0 liter V8 and R154 5-speed to cage and build into a track day car....

That would be a fun toy! Light weight, 1UZ is pretty damn reliable, not sure about finding R154s anymore, did that dance a few years ago. They are a hot item in the Supra/SC300 community, or used to be. So they charged an arm and a leg.

I remember a video when they did cash for clunkers. SC400 1UZ would not die after pouring in the liquid glass. Should be great for beating on the track!

Edited by MarcoLGT

Thinking about picking up a 1985 Celica Supra and swap in a Lexus 1UZ 4.0 liter V8 and R154 5-speed to cage and build into a track day car....

You will have a very interesting collection of cars, and a bigger garage :).