LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

dgood, had the brake light thing happen to my acura yesterday--i checked all my lights before dropping the car off for inspection yesterday. got a call that one of my 3rd brake lights was out, but it's okay they went and replaced it for me(without calling to tell me that it was out) and charged me $15 for the pleasure of that. i argued about that but they said it was already installed and the old bulb was gone, so...sorry.

and then the car also failed for the motor mount? that engine is rock solid, the motor mounts are fine, and wanted to charge me $250 for the mount and $175 for labor. lol, nope, put that pink rejection on there i'm getting my car.

this was my go to shop for inspections for a long time, but this just reeks of a money grab...i don't know if they're doing bad because of the rona and are getting shady, or if they changed inspectors...but i'm not going back except to show them my new mount($30 and 7 bolts, btw), pay the $1, and get the new sticker.

Edited by creep_nu

What shop was it and where is it located? Since I live in MA I might know the one you had trouble with. I go to a BP gas station, and they are really cool about inspections.

EXXCEL in Ashland, MA

ZE CARLOS AUTO REPAIR in Framingham, MA

from what i can tell, no it's not bad. said the engine was rattling around when starting the car. it's not, nor is it rocking when i'm hitting the accelerator hard(perks of having actual throttle cables is i can check that solo). i'm putting the cheap crappy mount in, getting the sticker, and putting the old mount right back in.

What are these vehicle inspections you speak of? [emoji1]

In all fairness, a lot of Kansas cars would be off the road if inspections started.

Growing up in Missouri we had yearly then bi-yearly inspections. I had one shop that gave me issues, and never went back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in case any of you care...after a week i finally got the motor mount changed. one of the bolt holes stripped out, so had to take the radiator out and get the condenser out of the way to drill it out and put a heli-coil in...ended up being way more of a pain in the ass than it should have been

the original mount is decidedly *not* bad. there's a tiiiiiny bit of play in it, but it was certainly not bad to "cause the motor to rock violently on start up"....bastards.

in case any of you care...after a week i finally got the motor mount changed. one of the bolt holes stripped out, so had to take the radiator out and get the condenser out of the way to drill it out and put a heli-coil in...ended up being way more of a pain in the ass than it should have been

the original mount is decidedly *not* bad. there's a tiiiiiny bit of play in it, but it was certainly not bad to "cause the motor to rock violently on start up"....bastards.

That sucks. The front motor mount area seems to gets a lot of salt. When I did the motor on the '11GT, I had a hard time getting the mount out even though all the bolts were removed. I used a sledge hammer to get the mount off because the salt was holding everything together.

luckily i live down south so i don't have to deal with the salt and corrosion and all that good stuff, i didn't support the engine enough i guess, and when taking the last bolt out a couple of the threads stripped, so purely on me. but yeah i've worked on some rusty cars, and man oh man am i not jealous of the salt belt guys.

luckily i live down south so i don't have to deal with the salt and corrosion and all that good stuff, i didn't support the engine enough i guess, and when taking the last bolt out a couple of the threads stripped, so purely on me. but yeah i've worked on some rusty cars, and man oh man am i not jealous of the salt belt guys.

Yah the salt belt sucks, and I can tell you that it makes buying used cars very difficult lmao.

Yah the salt belt sucks, and I can tell you that it makes buying used cars very difficult lmao.

yea I wasted a lot of time trying to find an acceptably clean tacoma around w/ around 100k.... they do not exist within any reasonable distance.

so i've heard...i've got some extended family up in NEPA and they have, on more than one occasion, come down to visit my parents and buy a new (used) car since ours might as well be rust free in Virginia. kinda makes me want to start a business shipping rust free cars up to new england to turn some quick profits

so i've heard...i've got some extended family up in NEPA and they have, on more than one occasion, come down to visit my parents and buy a new (used) car since ours might as well be rust free in Virginia. kinda makes me want to start a business shipping rust free cars up to new england to turn some quick profits

You'd become rich. Before I got my 2013 Acura RDX I think we looked at close to 50 cars over 6 months, and there were a good amount of cars and trucks with rust or rot issues.

The average person won't pay the extra money. Even some of my friends are denial that the 5 years old cars they own is rusty.

It was mention about the front motor mounting of the FB25 in a discussion and between looking up another part I decided to look up motor mounting.

It looks like Subaru used the similar front motor mount/transmission 'motor' mounts on the 6th Gen Legacy/Outbacks as the 5h Gen Legacy/Outback. The 7th Gen Legacy went back to motor mounts and removed the front mount.

The average person won't pay the extra money. Even some of my friends are denial that the 5 years old cars they own is rusty.

In VT there are a bunch of places that do this and they certainly do get extra money for them... but that only because cars that lived up here are worthless and they are selling high quality used cars under 100K with the ole we'll take care of you warranty for people that want some peace of mind. they aren't trying to sell the the kid looking for 150k mile Subaru. I wouldn't say they are making themselves rich but certainly a lot less surprises and fixes to deal with and consistency helps make a sustainable business.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever trade in a car with mods? Trying to figure out what to do with mine. Don't really want to part it out. Would be nice to sell it private party with all mods and extra parts. I don't know if I really want to deal with the hassle of selling it though. Trading in is easy. Just not sure what a dealer would think of a modified car.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Anyone ever trade in a car with mods? Trying to figure out what to do with mine. Don't really want to part it out. Would be nice to sell it private party with all mods and extra parts. I don't know if I really want to deal with the hassle of selling it though. Trading in is easy. Just not sure what a dealer would think of a modified car.

You'll lose a lot of money. The second they see custom parts on a car it tends to decrease your car's value. I would definitely try to sell your car privately, plus you'll get more money.

Edited by Alexmed2002

Like alexmed said....sell privately or part it out and trade it in stock.

When I traded in my 2006 LGT I returned it to absolute stock...even little things like sway bar end links etc. I sold all the parts over a few months period and did okay recovering most of my money.

Here is the odd part.... The car did not have factory nav and I had built a Garmin GPS into the center dash "cubby"....looked really good....after we had made a deal on the trade value the sales manager went to check out the car so he could sign off on the deal. He asked if I was going to leave the GPS.....I told him I was....he told the salesman to add $500 to my trade in value and they advertised to car as a Spec B:rolleyes:

Yeah, these are the responses I figured I'd get. I was hoping maybe a dealer wouldn't analyze a nearly 10 year old car too much. Some stuff done is very obvious though, like the exhaust. Guess I need to put some thought in to it. I don't really want to deal with people, but selling it privately would be easier from the perspective of leaving the car as is. I'd also throw in all stock parts, winter tire setup, new parts I never installed, etc.

I was offered $500 by a couple of places for mine. It took a while to sell private, but once I found someone we were both happy.

My previous car was at a point where I'd take anything for it. When I found the dealer that was selling my current car, I brought it in and tossed them the keys and said what can I get for this? They took $1000 off my price and I said deal. They bought a mazdaspeed6 with more rust than fenders and a very stiff and poorly aged coilover suspension. Also had the signature rust hole in the hood, you know, for less wind resistance and to help cool the intercooler. All in all, I think I made out pretty well given they saved me the headache of trying to sell it privately.

I have had good luck selling my cars privately. I get questions and the scammers on Craigslist, but I haven't had any joy riders. It seems like everyone willing to drive to see my car is an interested buyer.

Yah, always make sure the people can drive the car. The person who bought my Legacy drove the car and they literally couldn't resist the car after that lmao. The guy texted me later the same day and we got a deal done.

i've only sold 4 cars privately, but each time i just disregard the people that don't ask any legitimate questions. if the first question is if there's any room to drop the price i don't even respond. i leave my listings kinda vague, leaving out some key points that anyone that's serious about the vehicles would want to know(mentioning recent maintenance but not the actual jobs performed etc). if someone's actually interested they'll ask about it. if they end up not liking the car, fine, but it's not just somebody killing their and my time. Edited by creep_nu