LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Well I just verbally accepted an offer on the LGT. We do the exchange tomorrow after work, so of course I'm driving her to work. I'm a little surprised at the emotions it brings up. She's been a very good car through a lot of very different situations.

OLYykwb

CXG6zUT

Wishing you the best of luck with the in-person part of the sale. I will say, it does feel weird the day after you sell your car. Looking out the driveway after selling the car was weird at first, but I knew that the CVT was not trustworthy.

Dang, didn't realize you were selling Sarang. Been 1 month already on parental leave and been out of the loop in about every aspect of life outside baby lol Like my safety inspection and registration expiring at the end of the month.. oops. But 6k seems more than fair to me, based on prices I've seen. But at the end of the day, if folks aren't buying that speaks loudest. I Would have listed 7500-8k and took 6k at the min (at least to start). I'm hoping to get 5k for my 2013 2.5i Premium w/ 170k.

I'll re-iterate that once the new STI numbers are official when they launch next fall, I'll make my decision. I like the idea of the 5th gen legacy better tbh, but hard to beat the new tech and still get a MT AWD turbo. If he STI is a flop, or the wife is super against the $ at the time, then I'll be hitting up all of you folks on the fence about selling haha

New STI + old truck. or Old LGT + new truck. The wife gets a small luxury SUV at some point

I'll re-iterate that once the new STI numbers are official when they launch next fall, I'll make my decision. I like the idea of the 5th gen legacy better tbh, but hard to beat the new tech and still get a MT AWD turbo. If he STI is a flop, or the wife is super against the $ at the time, then I'll be hitting up all of you folks on the fence about selling haha

New STI + old truck. or Old LGT + new truck.

A little over 3 years, I was making the decision to buy a 5th Gen Legacy vs new WRX limited which about 2x the cost vs the used car. I am glad that I went with the Legacy GT. The GT was paid off earlier this year and I would still be making payments on the WRX.

The best financial decision would have been to keep my '12 2.5i that I bought new. I am sure the new STI will be noticeably faster. The LGT is still a fun driver. The 2.5i is practical.

People on this forum don’t make sound financial decisions. [emoji6][emoji1]

For me, the Outback would have been paid off over a year ago. In the grand scheme of things it is an all round better DD, but the GT makes driving fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People on this forum don’t make sound financial decisions. [emoji6][emoji1]

ain't that the gosh darn truth. seems most of us here have moved past the owning a car stage to their car being a hobby, which lets you spend way more than you should when considering the value of the car and loss of any money on mods at resale time.

Hey guys I have some stock LGT parts that I don't want or need anymore. Does anybody have an interest in these? I will likely throw them out or recycle for beer money if no one does.

Stock TMIC, has ~145k miles on it and it shows.

Stock cat back exhaust, don't want to ship this.

Stock charge pipe, probably a pain to ship

Stock BOV

Stock boost controller

ain't that the gosh darn truth. seems most of us here have moved past the owning a car stage to their car being a hobby, which lets you spend way more than you should when considering the value of the car and loss of any money on mods at resale time.

You could say we're now making 'funancial' decisions. :p:rolleyes:

Hey guys! New to the forum. I'm currently living in Korea (from Virginia). Been a pretty regular lurker since I purchased a US spec 2010 LGT May 2019. The 5th gen community on here has steered me in the right direction a bunch a lot in the last year. Never really been the posting type even with my last "build", but now I'm stuck over here with a busted clutch and no Subaru support here in country and figured I'd reach out and say hey... and ask lots of questions haha.

To celebrate eBay’s 25th anniversary, I got a $25 coupon from eBay to use on items priced. 25.01 and up as being part of the 1st members. I am getting old. I still remember finding eBay in the late 90’s and realizing this great platform for buying and selling items for my hobbies.

Found out what the clunking in my rear end is. It sounds really bad and figured it was the diff or very least an inner CV joint for the rear axles. Turns out to be a lot cheaper to fix than anticipated. Though much more of a pain in the ass to fix it. The bushings for the rear diff are completely blown out that go into the rear subframe. It moves so much I’m gonna have to replace the axles seals in the rear diff.

Bought whiteline inserts last week but even though they’re supposed to fit they aren’t the same pattern as the stock rubber bushings. So that’s a no go. No way in hell am I dropping this rear subframe to have new bushings pressed in.

Which leads me to using 3m Windo-weld. Let’s see how this goes.

Edited by reeg420

Gooped a bunch of Windo-weld in the bushing, let it cure for almost 48 hours. Just took it for a ride and not a sound. Seems to work great. Took like 45 minutes to do including getting the rear tires on stacked 2x6’s so I could get under there and $30 for the tube. A lot better than dropping the rear subframe and pressing in new bushings.

Hey guys I have some stock LGT parts that I don't want or need anymore. Does anybody have an interest in these? I will likely throw them out or recycle for beer money if no one does.

Stock TMIC, has ~145k miles on it and it shows.

Stock cat back exhaust, don't want to ship this.

Stock charge pipe, probably a pain to ship

Stock BOV

Stock boost controller

I'd be interesting in the stock charge pipe, i want to get an aluminum version made but hate to have the car down all that time to get it done. i would be very willing to share my results, hoping i can make schematics for it so it can be recreated by any good fab shop.

I'd be interesting in the stock charge pipe, i want to get an aluminum version made but hate to have the car down all that time to get it done. i would be very willing to share my results, hoping i can make schematics for it so it can be recreated by any good fab shop.

Yeah I'll pull it out of the closet and figure out how to ship it. All I'll ask for is shipping coast since it's going to a good home.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone have an opinion on adding a marker light to the side "wing" portion of our taillights? I seem to notice more higher-end cars tend to have little led's there and on the sides of the headlight. I think I like the look, but it might be a little weird without doing the headlights too.

^Same. Guess the 'Rona has folks not looking for wheels? I remember Pm'ing Coco a couple of years ago about trying to deal on his GT wheels, but I just never had the time or motivation to make it happen. Cant remember how much I was offering. I still want to put winters on my Legacy and if you were in the area I'd easily make 300 happen.

I have had 2 bad state vehicle inspections.

I brought Outback to be inspected on Saturday. The guy says my wiper blade is ripped. I detailed and waxed my Outback 3 weeks ago, while I was doing that, I noticed the rear wiper was ripped. I bought a complete set of wiper blades, I inspected the fronts and they looked fine, it has not rain in MA since then. He was trying to pressure me into buying a new set of wipers. I told him I have new set at home. He was saying it was unsafe to drive my car. Whatever, I go out to my car and half the blade was ripped. No way that just happened with one swipe of the wiper. They had checked the wiper and used windshield washer fluid. They windshield had a fully clean swipe. No way that happened with a half blade. I get the rejection sticker, I went home replaced it and was back 10 minutes later.

My GF car also needs an inspection, I told her not to goto that shop. (They also gave me a hard time last year with Syclone exhaust, so I am done with them) This Shop said she needs a headlight and brake light. I check all her lights beside the brake lights and high beams before she left. The want to charge her new bulbs which she said she would repair them herself. They passed though anyways. She get home I check her light and none of them are out. WTF?!

My Legacy GT also needs an inspection but I am going to bring that to shop I trust that does classic cars. It is bit longer drive, but the last thing I need them to do is reject me for my Invidia exhaust.

^Same. Guess the 'Rona has folks not looking for wheels? I remember Pm'ing Coco a couple of years ago about trying to deal on his GT wheels, but I just never had the time or motivation to make it happen. Cant remember how much I was offering. I still want to put winters on my Legacy and if you were in the area I'd easily make 300 happen.

I think we had been right around there, but I've recently found value in keeping them as an emergency summer set. Saved my bacon when I needed to take a road trip and my good set was down to cords :) I'll probably end up using them for when I have work done on my car so shops don't have to deal with the splined lugnuts on my current summer set too.

I have had 2 bad state vehicle inspections.

I brought Outback to be inspected on Saturday. The guy says my wiper blade is ripped. I detailed and waxed my Outback 3 weeks ago, while I was doing that, I noticed the rear wiper was ripped. I bought a complete set of wiper blades, I inspected the fronts and they looked fine, it has not rain in MA since then. He was trying to pressure me into buying a new set of wipers. I told him I have new set at home. He was saying it was unsafe to drive my car. Whatever, I go out to my car and half the blade was ripped. No way that just happened with one swipe of the wiper. They had checked the wiper and used windshield washer fluid. They windshield had a fully clean swipe. No way that happened with a half blade. I get the rejection sticker, I went home replaced it and was back 10 minutes later.

My GF car also needs an inspection, I told her not to goto that shop. (They also gave me a hard time last year with Syclone exhaust, so I am done with them) This Shop said she needs a headlight and brake light. I check all her lights beside the brake lights and high beams before she left. The want to charge her new bulbs which she said she would repair them herself. They passed though anyways. She get home I check her light and none of them are out. WTF?!

My Legacy GT also needs an inspection but I am going to bring that to shop I trust that does classic cars. It is bit longer drive, but the last thing I need them to do is reject me for my Invidia exhaust.

What shop was it and where is it located? Since I live in MA I might know the one you had trouble with. I go to a BP gas station, and they are really cool about inspections.