LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

Fake news... I hope.

Unfortunately not. I got congestive heart failure back in 2010 from a virus or so the doctors think.. I wasn't doing more than social drinking then. The virus attacked my kidneys and I came close to losing the function entirely. It was a near thing. All they had to do was saline hydration for 4 days straight to fix it. Who knew? But my CHF has been neutralized by my heart pills.

I didn't start drinking like a fish until 2014. Then I got A-Fib last year and have had another attack since. Your heart chambers work against each other and made me so weak I couldn't walk a block. Doctors fixed it by shocking the heart (that was fun!) as if trying to restart it to get in back in syncy. A-Fib is no doubt punishment by myself for my drinking days, but I haven't had a drop for over two years now.

But physical exertion can restart the A-fib and I've passed out from it before. Wouldn't be good on a racetrack. I got hit by a flying wheel assembly in the helmet in my kart racing and hit a fence and tire wall at probably 50-60 mph, knocked out on the main straight. Broke an arm and both wrists. Don't wanna do that again. Or hurt anyone else.

Best kart crash ever? Not mine. Some guy got airborne touching wheels, was thrown from his kart and the kart went over the 8 ft fence through the windshield of a pickup truck. Luckily no one was in the truck. Driver was ok but damn I wish I had my camera that day. :lol:

Oh, and the Zink price with trailer and rebuilt motor was $10k. I only had to figure out how to tow it behind my 350Z or get a dedicated tow vehicle.

Edited by KartRacerBoy

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best kart crash ever? Not mine. Some guy got airborne touching wheels, was thrown from his kart and the kart went over the 8 ft fence through the windshield of a pickup truck. Luckily no one was in the truck. Driver was ok but damn I wish I had my camera that day. :lol:

Similar to a kart crash I had - touched wheel, dude braked and I rolled over. Jammed a finger between steering wheel and ground and a long scratch mark on my helmet just taking off the first layer of paint on the helmet though. That day I was happy I had a full set of motorcycle gear on while driving kart.

Could have been a lot worse.

Maybe you should take up precision driving?

453747.png

Scariest crash I saw was as the race was started. We had a green flag guy at the start line but another flagger on a curve standing in the middle of the track between the two rows of karts. She was a racer so she should've been smarter, as should the club that ran the track. Flag went green and the karts accelerated. One guy was unsighted by the kart in front of him, weaved to went past and hit the girl and drove completely over her. She had permanent brain damage and was disabled by it. I was two karts behind the one that hit her. Terrible to see, but I avoided hitting her.

Finally, it looks like McLaren is again close to the pace. Kimi set fastest times on hypersofts this afternoon, and Alonso got within .56 secs on the same tire after losing 8 hrs to a turbo failure in the morning.

After Torro Rosso's uneventful winter tests with Honda and McLaren's problems in the same time with Renault while other Renault teams did fine with reliability, I wonder how much of McLaren's past three years problems with reliability with Honda was a McLaren problem, not Honda. Overaggressive packaging and such, like this year with the temperature issues on the bodywork.

• 2 weeks later...
Francois Cevert. As fast as Jackie Stewart when they were team mates until he got killed at Watkins Glen. 1973 was a horrible year for F1 driver deaths. I think three died at race meetings that year, all on the 1st of a different month. Roger Williamson, Peter Revson, and Francois Cevert.

Anyone staying or waking up to watch Australian qualifying tonight?

Through Friday, Grosjean in his Haas is 6th fastest after FP2. :eek: Baby Ferrari! Hamilton/Mercedes fastest.

Looking at all the midpack teams, it's clear that a Mercedes engine isn't a panacea for speed given how many teams have it. But Haas faster than Williams, Force India, Renault. Head 'splodin'!

Didn't Haas' agreement with Ferrari this year see them get the current 2018 motors?

And suspension and transmission and other things. That's why someone called it a baby Ferrari or 2017 Ferrari clone. Can't remember who. One of the team managers.

Haas in 5th and 6th on the grid for the Australian GP after Riccardio's penalty for going too fast under a practice session red flag. Woot! There will have to be chaos ahead of them to get a podium but fingers crossed.

I'm going to need an old man nap to get up again in the middle of the night to watch the race.

Haas in 5th and 6th on the grid for the Australian GP after Riccardio's penalty for going too fast under a practice session red flag. Woot! There will have to be chaos ahead of them to get a podium but fingers crossed.

I'm going to need an old man nap to get up again in the middle of the night to watch the race.

You are too old to upset your circadian rhythm just record it and don't read or watch the news until you have seen it.

Go Haas!

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I found a nice retrospective on Alain Prost, the Professor and 4 time World Champion, linked below. IMO, he was as great as Senna, just not as dramatic or spectacular. I think if I was a sponsor, I'd want Senna on my team. If I was a team manager, I'd rather have Prost who was more likely to bring home a Championship in my view by not making red mist Senna mistakes. Don't get me wrong; I'm a huge Senna fan and he was my favorite driver of all time. But Prost was as fast in a race as Senna ever was and ask Lauda about Prost's qualifying in 1984/85. By the time Senna ended up at McLaren, Prost was not the crazy youth willing to risk all anymore like Senna was at that time.

My opinion.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pja1zs3elOI[/ame]

Slo-mo showed the front guy putting his gun down though... might have been grabbing for his back up. Either way, terrible luck.

Bad luck for Hamilton but I'm glad Ferrari got the 1-3 finish. I doubt that VSC/pit lane rule will survive the end of the season.

Good race, for sure. Still scratching my head over the VSC Vettel/Hamilton pit lane overtake. Certainly caught MB by surprise. Glad to see Ferrari being race pace competitive against Mercedes. Should be a cracker of a season.

Ultra soft tires don't seem to be able to handle much heat - looked greasy when pushed hard. Will be interesting to see if they'll make those tires available in hotter climates...

Some things were more interesting a few decades ago:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpLqiY03qXY]The 1995 Italian GP hadn't even begun when... (50fps Broadcast Quality) - YouTube[/ame]

You never really knew how anyone would screw up - and with less in-car driver support it was harder to drive then.

453747.png

You never really knew how anyone would screw up - and with less in-car driver support it was harder to drive then.

Eh, maybe from a technical standpoint, it was harder. But cars in the 80s and 90s weren't doing 6g in the turns and 5g braking, all while the driver is changing 30+ settings on the steering wheel. I'd say cars now are harder to drive.

It's not like the 80s and 90s cars had telemetry to the pits like they do now, either, so what would the pits tell the drivers? Maybe they got basic telemetry but...