LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

Ha! You missed the first year of the GP at Indy! That year, there were no barriers to put your face against the face where the cars came off Oval turn 1 (last turn of the F1 race). My buddies and I stood face up against the cable fence right where the cars came within a foot of the concrete wall. The sound was stupefying, being that close to an F1 car at full song. I went to that race from the first year to 2006 but luckily skipped the race where the Michelin cars couldn't run and only the 6 Bridgestone runners "raced."

I've met Tom Walkinshaw, played football with Dan Gurney and his crew at Lime Rock after a race, had lunch with Chip Ganassi and his dad at Indy, and had my arm around a gimpy Nelson Piquet for a picture at Indy as he went to the med center.

Some day I'd like to go to COTA. That looks like an awesome track. About the only modern, awesome F1 track built in the last 30 years aside from Turkey's (no longer used, sadly).

Edited by KartRacerBoy

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the 2004 Indy race and sat about 20 rows up from where Ralf hit the wall coming on to the main straight.

I then suffered through a 13 year drought until I went to Austin 2017. I've talked my fiance into going with me to Montreal to see the Canadian GP sometime in the next couple years, as long as we make a week out of it and do some stuff she wants to do.

My brother and I went and even though he's not a fan, he agreed turn 7 is a cool place to watch that's generally devoid of other people, and you can watch them do 8 and 9 as well. I liked sitting on the hill between 18 and 19 too.

Edited by baconbits

Had an idea. Back in time, F1 points for the championship didn't count every race. In 1988 Senna won the championship from Prost becz although Prost scored more points over the total season despite winning "only" 7 races to Senna's 8, back then the points counted for the WDC came from the best 11 results out of the 16 races. It had been like that for decades since cars were so unreliable back then.

For 2018 teams can only use 3 engines per car for the season without incurring qualifying penalties. This was ridiculous last year with so many cars qualifying near the front starting from the back due to reliability issues.

What about returning to such a format in the future (as long as we have those stupid grid penalties)? Count the best scores of each driver from 2/3 of the races towards the WDC. It won't affect Mercedes but it might bring other teams into contention.

Frankly, the FIA is just a cockup with their current rules making all argy bargy with the championship.

Opinions?

Pretty much all forms of racing (F1, Indy Cars, NASCAR, NHRA, etc. etc.) has gotten replaced with spec cars little really cool cars or innovation.

Like the six wheeled Elf in F1, or stock block/turbines in Indy car, NASCAR where I can't tell one car from another, one or two engine brands, drivers don't even shift now, etc.

Boring, some day the cars will be remote control.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

He wasn't a Senna, Prost, or Schumacher, but Jacques Villeneuve was a ballsy racer in the Alan Jones/William mode. A man's racer. More balls than brains. I remember him in rookie Indy season t-boning a stopped car at Phoenix under yellow. He obviously f*cked up hugely, but I remember his interview. It was a massive accident and it was lucky no died (Hiro Matsuishita or Jacques) but he was so calm in the post accident interview only a few minutes later. Ice in his veins. Impressed the hell out of me that he could be so calm after such a terrifying accident.

Won Indy the next year, then went to F1 in 96. Passed Schumacher at Estoril in the last turn on the outside. He had bet his mechanics he could pass there on the outside and his mechanics said they would lovingly scrape his remains off the barriers after he tried it, but he pulled it off in the race. Then his HUGE accident at Spa out of Eau Rouge ("My best accident EVER!"). He was nowhere near the best, but a driver who did it balls out all the time. He is, however, a loud mouth out of the car. Much in the vein of Nigel Mansell, another great Williams/Alan Jones type driver beloved by Frank Williams and Patrick Head. Won the championship in 97 and then threw it all away joining BAR.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7n1Hg1Tng[/ame]

Cute little story, KRB. I’m impressed with your typing skills while you are going warp speed on your white, wooden Amish built rocking chair in front of a fake gas fireplace (that you undoubtedly run at 50% to conserve natural gas and keep your bills down).

Much love!!!

Bought a Zink C-4 formula vee 1965 for vintage racing. I am officially cool again.

pics of the car and you in your skin tight race suit I want motivation to go to the gym.

:lol:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

The cost of abusing alcohol for an extended period of your life I guess. Brutal truth. Sorry to hear bro.

How much is he selling it for? It's a beautiful car.

Fake news... I hope.