LegacyGT.com

The Official F1 Thread - V2

SBT

I watched a Bobby Unser video on Racer.com a few days ago. In the 1975 Indy 500 race he said they had 1300-1500 hp. No relevance to the street. I want to see that kind of monster racing again someday. And that was in the days before tunnels and diffusers. And weak old aluminum tubs. OMFG.

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no, no, no, NO! I do not want 18 inch wheels and low profile tires in F!!

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/formula-1-pushing-for-bigger-wheels-in-2021-1044392/

I would say that let the teams decide what they want to run, and then add that the width of a wing must fit between the inside of the tires. So wide wing and narrow tires or wide tires and narrow wing.

Then the teams would be busy trying to find the optimal solution.

453747.png

Hemingway said there were only three real sports -- motorracing, mountain climbing and bullfighting. The rest are games.

It's not F1 but the Isle of Mann TT is a man's sport. Two dead so far this year and another critically injured but recovering. How brave, no CRAZY, do you have to be to engage in this form of motorsport nowadays when almost every other form of racing has gotten so safe?

I'm still sorry that Joey Dunlop passed away. And it wasn't on IoM that he passed away.

Joey_Dunlop.JPG

Darn - it was almost 18 years ago...

And with 26 TT wins and 40 podiums he was a remarkable rider.

453747.png

I'm still sorry that Joey Dunlop passed away. And it wasn't on IoM that he passed away.

Joey_Dunlop.JPG

Darn - it was almost 18 years ago...

And with 26 TT wins and 40 podiums he was a remarkable rider.

Netflix may still have a good documentary on him and his career. A rider that had a 6th sense and was one with the bike.

Has anyone been to the Canadian GP? Fiance thinks it would be fun to see it maybe next year or the year after even though she's not a race person so I'm curious how the rest of the city is... something she'd like to do after we do race stuff for me.

I suspect that Montreal is pretty messed up during the Formula 1 weekend and that you probably should look at other things to look at on the way there.

If you go by car, look for some places to make a detour to on the way instead. Depending on time - Niagara Falls, Mount Washington in NH, Old Sturbridge Village in MA and things like that.

But of course - this is very late for tips/ideas.

453747.png

Agreed. They even added another DRS zone for this year and it still didn't have much overtaking.

It's shaping up to be a good year though between the drivers... I'm afraid of Merc running away with the constructor's championship though.

A bit of a ranting on F1 here:

I see the problems as a multi-factor problem, they have all the time softer tires, Super-soft, Ultra-soft, Hyper-soft. What's next? Glue? It's getting crazy in this area. I also miss the tire brand competition that we saw before with different tire characteristics during the race progress causing more interesting changes in the race.

Another factor that limits overtaking is the 'dirty air' created by the car to be overtaken:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWFulVLOqg

The video essentially indicates the dependency of 'clean' air primarily over the front wing, and the bigger that wing is the more sensitive it is. I see that a smaller front wing with only a single layer and therefore less downforce would be beneficial for the racing. The DRS could be kept, but let the drivers decide when to use it, skip the zones and distances - then it would be yet another tool for driver skill to play with.

We would of course see cases where the cars would slide around more, but that's all part of the racing that makes it interesting to watch. Looking on cars that behaves like slot cars isn't that much fun.

And then we have the tracks - it's easy to design a flat track with good run-off zones. Earlier there were gravel traps and landing there was safe but usually end of race for the unfortunate driver stuck there. But designing a track where at least one or two of the corners don't have a good ideal line is a lot harder. A good line in - bad out or bad line in - good out would of course confuse drivers but also give more interesting changes in the field.

To continue with the run-off areas - I did see at least one occasion where some driver missed and could essentially pass right through without losing too much time, but if the driver had to loop back and build up speed instead of cutting the corners then it would still be safe but also force the drivers to be safer.

When it comes to strategy I think that leaving strategic decisions on which tires to use and when to swap them should be on the teams. That's part of the fun with F1 - to see the strategic mistakes made in the pit stops. But today the pit stops are over in the blink of an eye when the fueling was removed. With the fueling in place the penalty of having to change a nose was less damaging since the nose change could be done in the same time as the fueling was made.

I do miss some of the fun experimental car designs of the 70's - even though the 'fan car' was not a really good path to take for the sport. The ground effect cars were more in line with the intent, but they were unfortunately sensitive to uneven road surface and that's what took out Senna.

453747.png

My only issue with the tires is the rule requiring use of two different compounds - it limits strategy creativity. I remember back in the refueling days when people would sometimes run 4 or 5 stops but they were on super sticky tires where other people did two stops on harder ones. Get rid of the two compound rules and make the tires way stickier but way less durable.

The front wing dirty air thing has nothing to do with passing in the straights and everything to do with how they can manage 5g of lateral grip in the corners. I like that aspect... if you get rid of the front wing effectiveness, everyone is going to either be balled up in the third corner of the race in a passive pile in the runoff area or if they go mega downforce, they're going to be the slowest car on the track on the straights. I have a feeling the front wings have a dual effectiveness where they work at "slow" speeds in the corners but have a way of stalling themselves in the straights to some extent to work like DRS... I have no proof but I have a feeling there's a way of doing that.

My biggest gripe is the reliability "to keep costs down." I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something... the vast, VAST majority of costs in F1 are the development costs, NOT procurement once its developed. More engines with less reliability don't take as much money to develop so that's the way to bring costs down. The engine's the most expensive part on the car so why not start there?

The problem is that the dirty air plays a big role when impacting braking in the corners - you have to brake a lot earlier when in dirty air than if you have clean air - and it's when you are in the corners you usually pass your competitor.

Running tires that wears faster - well, we have seen that before and there were a lot of DNFs due to punctures.

In a race there are always compromises and gambling. And tire strategy is one thing that may work out in your favor - or disadvantage. Just figure out a way to make the teams swap tires 2-3 times per race, like a fuel stop, and they will figure out and gamble as well as they can.

453747.png

I suspect that Montreal is pretty messed up during the Formula 1 weekend and that you probably should look at other things to look at on the way there.

If you go by car, look for some places to make a detour to on the way instead. Depending on time - Niagara Falls, Mount Washington in NH, Old Sturbridge Village in MA and things like that.

But of course - this is very late for tips/ideas.

You’re kidding right?

The entire city turns into party central for the F1. Streets are closed to have car displays (f1 and supercars), the track is open Thursday for a paddock open house, and much more.

Fantastic. Baby Nakajima (son of former F1 Lotus drive Satoro) got pole for Toyota for the 24 hrs of LeMans and he is co-driving with Alonso and Buemi. The other Toyota is P2. Pole doesn't mean all that much at LeMans but it is much more of a long spring that even a few decades ago cars are so reliable. Go Alonso et al!

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/toyota-seals-pole-after-nakajima-flyer-1046136/

And btw, for you who get the Velocity Channel, they have coverage of the entire race live this weekend.

Alonso, Nakajima (the fastest driver of the trio), and Buemi take Le Mans for Toyota. Two down, one to go (Indy 500) in the triple crown. Although I have to say, there was no opposition for Toyota in LMP1. One of the two cars were going to win it excepting some giant f*ck up or horrible luck.

I wonder if this increases the chance of Alonso leaving for Indycars in 2019? Does Graham Hill hear footsteps on his grave as Alonso tries to become only the 2nd winner of all three races of the "triple crown" (Monaco, Le Mans, Indy 500)?

As much as I wanted to see Alonso win it, I thought the same thing. Sure, there were privateer LMP1 cars in there but they finished 10 laps down on the second place Toyota so there wasn't any real pace competition and they could probably turn the cars down a little to make sure they lasted the whole race.

Red Bull is opting for Honda next year over Renault. Frankly, given Honda's recent past, I think it's a gamble.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red-bull-honda-engine-deal-1046734/

Now if I'm Alonso searching for a new team in F1, do I want to jump back in the Honda camp? Or are his options for 2019+ now limited to McLaren/Renault, Mercedes, or jumping ship to IndyCar? Surely Ferrari isn't an option after his last stint there when he was kicked out the door.

I was reading up on Button during 24HoL and didn't know he jumped to SuperGT in Japan. Seems like an odd leap but that's another thing Alonso might do if he can't find a ride in WEC or DTM I guess.

Alonso seems more capable than Button so yeah, also highly unlikely.