LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

have you seen these ones from the aussie section?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24879

No, I hadn't seen those. Looks sharp. That Urban Grey is a nice color.

The fact that all 300 are close to being sold out, in a country with about the population of Texas, contrasts sharply with the large number of unsold Spec B's here in the USA, out of a run of 500. I hope Subaru, or SOA, or whoever, realizes that a performance-oriented model with some color and option choices is more likely to capture the interest of enthusiasts than a bling-oriented model. Hopefully, they don't decide that the USA just isn't a good enthusiast market.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know it's been stated before, but what's the selling price when converted to USD?

based on today's exchange rate, it looks like a manual sedan (MSRP: AUS $59,450) would be around $44,600. That's not cheap, but it would have to be compared with the price of a standard LGT in Australia to have any meaning.

Just thinking about the relative success - I'd say there's more content for the price than the Spec B we get here. Since I have bought most of the parts on the Liberty by STi anyways, it would be interesting to see what the delta is on that model over the equivalent we all own. Had there been a similar model here, I would probably have jumped on it.

Guys,

The GT Tuned by STi was launched here because the 2.0T fails Euro III emissions (I think that's the right test) and so they can't sell the 2.0T motor post 1-Jan-06. I don't know why they didn't bring in the 2.5T when they did the last refresh in Sept-05 but the STi's were all built and complied pre-Xmas in order to make them registerable here. This is why you won't see the GT on the Subaru website in Aus - it's not legal to sell them anymore. Although they can sell cars complied pre Jan 1 which is how they will sell all 300 of the STi's.

Selling price for the 5MT was just under $60k but that converts to about $66k on road. The standard GT was about $7k cheaper on the lot so maybe $7.5-$8k cheaper on road than the GT by STi.

Cheers,

Darren

Selling price for the 5MT was just under $60k but that converts to about $66k on road. The standard GT was about $7k cheaper on the lot so maybe $7.5-$8k cheaper on road than the GT by STi.

Why $66K "on road"? Is that because most cars have options added, or is that taxes, or what?

In any case, if the STi-tuned model is $8K more, that's about $6K US, so that's comparable to the premium charged here for the Spec B.

I guess if there's one thing we can be thankful for here, it's that our cars are a lot less expensive. $66K AUS is around $49K US, which is way more than the USDM Spec B MSRP of ~$35K, or the standard USDM GT MSRP of ~$30K.

Its called Australia Taxes.... extremely expensive.

And for mine, if I was in the US and had to splash out USD49K, I would seriously be looking around at a fully loaded ///M for only a few more K. Our pricing here is very expensive I have to say compared to the States, so when you look at it that way, we certainly know what we want from STi and are prepared to pay for it.

Ada///M.

Yeah, its funny how each country works esp on the taxes, you'd by this for X and we would by Y for that....

Not too many ppl here on the forum that are shelling out for the Estate but gead is and another new member that just joined the forum. None of the Estate's have been delivered as of yet, hence no pictures but Im sure they will be forth coming soon enough.

I know for a fact that Seth aka SUBE555 would have bought one without blinking and eyelid.

Ada///M.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a few lucky Kiwis got the real deal - 206 kW, 343 Nm at just 2400 rpm, Brembo brakes, etc. From http://www.subaru.co.nz/Roam/About_Subaru/News/?article=862&PHPSESSID=2a137fdf0fdbe90d5346947f8c01aa29:

Sunday, January 22nd, 2006

Legacy STI arrives

For the first time in three years, a limited number of Subaru Legacy STI models have arrived in New Zealand.

Based on the Legacy GT, the Legacy STI has received further fine tuning from the high performance arm of Subaru in Japan - Subaru Tecnica International.

In early 2003 a limited number of the previous model Legacy with STI enhancements was available here. Previous to that, the last time a Legacy STI had been produced was in 1993. In the intervening decade, STI had devoted all its efforts to the flagship Impreza WRX STI.

The latest Legacy STI is available both as a sedan and wagon and comes with unique front and rear spoilers and 12 spoke, 18 inch alloy wheels. All five of the limited edition models for New Zealand are in the World Rally Blue colour.

There is subtle STI badging on the boot, front splitter and the leather and suede upholstered sport's seats.

A dual muffler, quad tail pipe sport's exhaust system also sets the Legacy STI apart from the standard Legacy GT. The bottom arms in the front and rear suspension are made from alloy to reduce unsprung weight, while a tower brace for the front suspension struts is standard.

The suspension has specially rated STI springs, with Bilstein dampers, while a Brembo braking system is used with four pot front calipers.

Available either with a five speed manual gearbox, or five speed automatic transmission with Sportshift controls on the steering wheel, the Legacy STI is rated at 206 kWs at 6400 rpm with the manual and 191 kWs at 6000 rpm for the automatic.

Crucially both power trains have a peak torque of 343 Nm at just 2400 rpm for strong mid-range driveability and instant response from the electronic throttle control.

The active safety package includes ABS brakes with EBD, Subaru's legendary symmetrical All Wheel Drive for impeccable handling, road holding and grip in all driving conditions.

Dual front air bags, front seatbelt pretensioners and load limiters, side anti-intrusion beams and ring shaped reinforcement frames in the body structure make up the passive safety package.

There is a premium sound system with six stack CD player, climate control air conditioning, and eight way power adjustable driver's seat, leather Momo steering wheel, gear shift knob and hand brake lever. There are alloy pedals and foot rest, electro luminescent gauges and silver trim on the centre console.

Standard equipment also includes power steering, mirrors and windows and front fog lights.

Other features include an alarm system which is combined with the remote central locking and engine immobiliser, DataDot security marking of all major components and a three year unlimited kilometre warranty.

The Legacy STI is priced at $64,990 irrespective of transmission option.

New Zealand is the only country outside Japan to get the Legacy STI, of which only 600 have been produced. The five New Zealand cars have all been pre-sold.

The pricing is similar to Oz's Tuned by STi car after currency conversion and i thought it would have gone for more.

They get the Brembo's,unique World Rally colour and rarity value with only 5 cars in the country. I would have gone for one if given the chance. How come the Kiwi always seems to get the extra special GT huh? Even their stock GT get the Bilstein struts instead of the KYB we get here.

Similar article with more pictures.

http://www.subarunews.net/news/news20060122.htm

jasper

Yeah Jasper, but the place is full of Unzudders....always a price to pay for the beauty!!!!!

It's funny how Subaru will import the full JDM stuff to NZ with the same petrol as Aus - although their import regs are totally wide open so no neeed to modify for ADRs as they have to for Aus

Yeah Jasper, but the place is full of Unzudders....always a price to pay for the beauty!!!!!

I hope there'are no Kiwis on the board here . What happened to the ANZAC spirit :icon_bigg ?

With their lax import law, you get plenty of beat up old lower end Nissan skyline and Silvia flooding their used market. Last time i was there, I had an interesting experience where i followed a heavily camouflaged Mercedes SLR test car out of Queenstown for a few kms in my rental Corolla until the test driver gave the accelerator a prod on the open road and gave me the flick . DIdn't have my camera ready, otherwise would have sent it to Motor/Wheel scoop section .

jasper

Jon, I think Australia is more favored by Japan ATM because Subaru Sales here are selling very well across the board. From suggestions on the site, the SpecB in the US has sold quite poorly for whatever reason while the SpecB here in Australia has done extremely well. This is another reason why Subaru decided to release 300 STi GT units here which again have also sold very strongly with most of the allocation now sold.

Ada///M.

Archived