LegacyGT.com

Sydney Motor Show - Liberty GT "Tuned By STi"

slugdriver

While a little trivial l find it disappointing that Sti appears nowhere in the interior. They could have at least put it on the seats, surely this ommited due to logistics/availability and not the desire to save 5c?

Maybe part of the reason is that Subaru wants to distinguish "tuned by STi" models from actual works STi versions (not sure if that's the right term). As I alluded to in a previous post in either this or the other parallel thread on the same subject, perhaps Subaru intends to release a Legacy/Liberty STi, and they want to reserve the interior STi logos for that model. I'm not in any way trying to steal the thunder of those who are getting the Aussie model; it looks to be a much more interesting car than anything Subaru offers here in the USA.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys,

OK, the interior lining is black not the usual light grey - this is the same as the Japan STi car (well looks the same as the pics on the JDM STi website). So that's confirmed! There's also a limited edition #xxx of 300 label on the consoles (whoo hoo!) and the special STi red gauge dash. I'm not that fussed about the lack of interior STi labels to be honest...

As to the relative positioning of the this "Tuned by" vs the "proper" STi, I'm so over the people who want to argue the point so just saying it's a brilliant car and not counting what it isn't (p.s. Rich / RFD425 - this ain't directed at you - have always found your comments reasonable and nothing other than questions). My honest guess is that the JDM factory got stingy on it and SA was too silly to check and so by the time the cars arrived it was too late.

Heh heh, anyway much better fun to drive it than post about it :D

so, the STi is slower than the stock GT? All the extra goodies weighing it down maybe? I know my wagon with sunroof and leather isn't as quick as the cloth sedan, but still....I would think the special edition would be at least as quick given the tuned ECU.

My recollection is that they were aiming for 0.5s less for the 0-100km/h from the GT by STi than the std GT. Feels at least that much quicker so far...

I thought the std GT was about 6.1s 0-100km/h and they were trying for 5.4 - 5.5s for the GT by STi

Trust me when I say that this STi will hand it to any Std GT... period.

The chassis has a full STi code meaning if u want to buy/reorder any STi parts etc, u will need the chassis number to do so.

This is not a poser STi because it is an STi and fully endorsed by STi Japan.... nough said.

Ada///M.

Trust me when I say that this STi will hand it to any Std GT... period.

The chassis has a full STi code meaning if u want to buy/reorder any STi parts etc, u will need the chassis number to do so.

This is not a poser STi because it is an STi and fully endorsed by STi Japan.... nough said.

Ada///M.

Interesting info.

Does an Sti chassis number mean the car has a different Sti specific bodyshell or perhaps that it came down a different production line? Could there be more differences than just the obvious mufflers, wheels, bilsteins, springs and strut brace?

Cheers Simon

Nobody thinks it's a poseur STi, certainly not me. It's a very fine car, probably the best factory Legacy/Liberty in the world with the possible exception of the JDM Legacy tuned by STi. And about the only extra item the JDM car has that I know of is the Brembos.

My only point on the "tuned by STi" business is that Subaru may have something else planned for the future that they are reserving the simple "Legacy STi" nameplate for. The WRX STi model is called simply "WRX STi", whereas Subaru conspicuously uses the "tuned by STi" designation for the special JDM and Aussie models.

As for the increased performance of the STi model, one can't really compare the Aussie model with USDM models or even JDM models, because of the different engines and/or different tuning. My understanding is that Aussie models are slightly detuned compared to JDM models because of the generally lower-quality fuel available in Australia (although I don't want to rehash that whole subthread). If the Aussie STi model is a half-second faster to 100kph than a stock Liberty GT (which may well be slower than a USDM GT), that is certainly a significant step, comparable to "stage 2" on a USDM LGT.

In the USA, from 2006 forward, STi has become STI (all caps). Is this the case elsewhere, or was that just a simplification for us dumbass Americans? In other words, should we be referring to this Aussie model as "tuned by STI", not STi?

I thought the Aussie "tuned by STi" had the following history:

1. Build a normal Australian Domestic Market Liberty GT in Japan.

2. Ship the car to Australia.

3. Subaru Australia park it in a factory somewhere, gut the interior, pull apart the suspension & rebuild with alcantara & Bilstein. Fit STi computer & exhaust.

4. Voila - Liberty "tuned by STi"

Sounds like a lovely car, but isn't a Subaru Japan assembled STi.

For example, I have it on good authority that the Bilstein suspension sets (all 300 of 'em) were ordered by Subaru Australia from Bilstein Germany. Sounds awfully like a Subaru Australia concoction to me...

Sounds like a lovely car, but isn't a Subaru Japan assembled STi.

+1

Also, I'm not convinced it's any quicker than a std. GT. If I were buying a car and didn't need a wagon, I'd buy one however, as I've already bought most of the parts that are included.

Guys,

I think we all know it is not a Japan STi - it's a local modification job a la HSV. The original cars were semi-STi specced (only way allegedly to get the red dash, Alcantara seats, black headlining) in Japan - the seats, dash and headlining were all fitted in Japan according to the guys at Docklands. The suspensions bits, wheels, exhaust were all fitted here in Altona. The car is definitely not a standard bodyshell due to the lack of sunroof! It's all academic though as I'm 100% sure all Libertys come down the same production line whether they are 2.0 NA, 2.5 NA, 3.0 NA, 2.0 T or STi or GX or whatever.

My guess re the "Tuned by STi" vs "GT STi" nameplate is that it was an Aus driven model (to cope with Euro emissions compliance) and it's a negotiated outcome midway between the "no mention of STi" WRP10 and a "true" full factory STi. Whether a GT STi or Blitzen are ever destined for our shores? Who knows...

+1

Also, I'm not convinced it's any quicker than a std. GT. If I were buying a car and didn't need a wagon, I'd buy one however, as I've already bought most of the parts that are included.

Dan,

For the very little it is worth, it feels substantially quicker than the std GT from the driver's seat - and I have driven both cars on the same roads a few times now. The aim ex Docklands where the program was run from was to get at least 0.5s of the 0-100 km/h time. The service / ops manager swears they easily met that target.

Given none of the mods actually added weight (hmmm maybe the strut brace?) I'd have a hard time working out how it could be any slower but no doubt some will choose to argue....

Darren

Hifi - spot on. Apart from the awesome driveability (still working out how the car feels soooo much better for only 10kW and 13Nm) the "proper" suspension is just a natural fit. The std GT always felt like a step down from the B4 whereas this car feels like the natural next car in that series.

Now I just have to work out how to get a set of Brembos past the financial controller....

I have spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a B4 (trip to Thredbo, Jenolan Caves, etc) and always admired the stability at speed. My 2.5i was never that good...but with the Bilsteins - ahhh, heaven! Come on Subaru - start fitting proper shocks to all your models, please!

That car looks awesome! I am so jealous. Guys, please make sure that you buy each & every one of them & then tell SOA to bring it over here. BTW, Sheaf Stout is the first stout I was introduced to...It will always be one of my favorite libations!

• 2 weeks later...

How are sales of the STi-tuned Liberty so far? I'm curious how it's doing compared to the USDM Spec B, which I don't think is doing particularly well. Personally, I find the Aussie model much more interesting, and I hope it does well, so that Subaru realizes that it's loyal base of enthusiasts favors performance tuning over bling.

RFD,

l believe all sedans are sold, there may still be a few wagons around. This is what l was told yesterday by my local dealer. Only 300 were built, l am guessing only 30-60 of these would have been wagons.

Cheers

Yeah yeah yeah we know we know re the pics.

Im sure you will get PLENTY of pictures soon and certainly a few STi's in the same shot. Photos are HOT but nothing compared to seeing. Trust me.

I believe that....

Sedan MT in Black, UG, Silver SOLD OUT

Sedan EAT in Black, SOLD OUT

Sedan EAT in UG & Silver (Few still avail but VERY limted)

Estate MT in Black SOLD OUT

Estate MT in UG & Silver (Few still avail but very limted)

Estate EAT in Black SOLD OUT

Estate EAT in UG & Silver (Few still avail but very limited)

I think the above is pretty accurate within a few numbers anyway. I would say U would be lucky ATM to get yr hands on anything.

Ada///M.

Archived